Author Topic: 45 CAL HUNTSMAN IN TRADE......What to do with it?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Deavis

• Trade Count: (0)
45 CAL HUNTSMAN IN TRADE......What to do with it?
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
I got a 45 cal Huntsman in trade with a AL prefix serial number. I know NOTHING about them, but have a few Handis and Toppers in the collection. The firing pin seems wide and flat and when the gun breaks open it seems like a big bottle necked cartridge chamber. Gun is missing sights and a ram rod.

What options do I have for rebarreling it in a non M/L?

What is with the firing pin being so wide?

Can I put some plug in the chamber and a new firing pin and shoot .45 acp or 45/70 or something?

I clicked all over the sticky for manuals and there was no download available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Deavis

Re: 45 CAL HUNTSMAN IN TRADE......What to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
looking around I am getting a bad feeling about having any form of modern fun on this frame.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
It's a ML only, the frame won't accept any other barrels except the ML barrels they originally came with, 12ga and .45 and .58 cal IIRC, post it in the H&R Classified forum, someone will want it.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
what looks like a big ol' bottleneck chamber is where the slip-in breechplug goes. the wide flat firin' pin serves as a hammer for the percussion caps. find mr. hubbard's contact info. it should be somewhere in the stickies. he makes replacement breechplugs and ramrods. his prices are very reasonable and his products are about a 100 times better than factory. luck to ya and have a good'en. bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
Does any one know if Mr. Hubbard makes a replacement breech plug for the older Huntsman that takes 209 primers instead of the number 11 primers? 
Also is this feasible, or would the 209 primer cause a unknown problem (ex. too hot a flame)?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
when i ordered a ramrod from him i inquired about the plugs and he responded that the 209 was what he makes. i was lookin' for one for caps as i had one with 209 plug and expressed doubts about that fat firin' pin settin'em off he said give'er a try and ya might be surprised. i did and i was. tried several and it popped every one. for what it's worth and luck friend, bubba.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »
bubba.50 - That's what I was hoping to hear.  Was there a lot of dirty blow back compared to the original #11 breech plug?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »

the "economic downturn" caused it to find a new home before i got to make the 80mi round trip to the range so i can't answer that for ya. but, i did pop several primers with it. don't know if it would make a difference but they were the winchester 209s that walmart sells for muzzleloaders. luck and have a good'en, bubba.

Offline Deavis

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Get this.... I called Mr Hubbard on 09/27.... received breech plug on 09/30. Makes me happy! I sent him a check and ordered a new ramrod as well...

I dont think I am going to be a hard core M/L guy but this project will be fun to get going and is off my beaten path. My local club has an active BP section and I have a connect for cast minnies and maxis. I used to have a beautiful TC hawken 50 cal ... shot a deer with it and sold it like a fool about 20 years ago.... full kit with all the what-nots.

Thankfully I have a gift card to cabellas I dont have any plans for so that will help. 

****** Any photos of a "open ignition" mod to the Huntsman? ??? ?******

Offline Sprint

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 04:03:54 AM »
Deavis,

Photo of a 156W on the GB site item # 253748545.  Will give you an idea of how the factory did it.

Sprint

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:17:49 AM »
I was curious as to how that was done. Not really anything but the law to keep you from putting the plug in other side up . Kurt
9:
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline handirandy

• GOD, guts, and guns. In that order!
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
what is the cut in the top of the barrel at the breech for?
This is the day the Lord has made.  I choose to rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »
Makes it legal for ML seasons in states that require ignition exposed to the elements.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain