Author Topic: ID my breach plug  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Wakaba

• Trade Count: (4)
ID my breach plug
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »
I bought my huntsman barrel used from a member here a few years ago.  I swapped on the .25acp breach plug, removing the one pictured below.  From what I am seeing, what I thought was the factory breach plug is not.... but what is it?

-Rich

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: ID my breach plug
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
The breech plug looks like a 5/8" OEM breech plug that was modified to use a 209 primer.  But it looks like there is a difference is in the number of threads and possibly the length.  It seems like the breech plug was drilled and tapped for a screw in "primer cup (holder)". 
Does the "primer cup" (shown in 2nd pic) screw out? 

I would hazard a guess, and say this was a custom breech plug conversion to a 209 primer set up.  Maybe one of Mr. Hubbards early attempts at a 209 conversion?

Someone correct me if they feel, I'm wrong.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
Definitely a Ben Hubbard custom 5/8" breech plug for bare 209 primers. But it looks like someone has drilled out the bottom of the primer adapter. I have one in 7/8", and there is a flash hole in the bottom of the primer adapter, as well as the breech plug.

If you ever want to get rid of it, give me a PM. If you want to shoot Blackhorn 209 I can give you some pointers to make it blowback free. Might need a new 209 adapter though?

Here are some pics of mine in 7/8".

Works too!

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Wakaba

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »
Which would typically prove to have more consistant ignition, .25acp or 209?
-Rich

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:04:45 AM »
Which would typically prove to have more consistant ignition, .25acp or 209?

What Powder? With Blackhorn 209, the .25 ACP is not reliable. If you are shooting Triple Se7en or Pyrodex loose powder (or Black Powder), the .25 ACP works very well.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
For all around ignition, I would have to say the 209 Primer. 
Like Busta said, the .25acp doesn't ignite Blackhorn reliably.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Wakaba

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Sorry, I guess I did leave that info out.

I am shooting .50 355 minie balls over 80gn of Pyrodex P.
-Rich

Offline Wakaba

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
thankfully I didn't see a deer this weekend!

It was the last weekend of ML for me, and I was going to fire the bore empty.  Used up 4 .25acp's (CCI Small Rifle Primers) and could not get ignition.  These cases were loaded last year, and the temps were hovering at about 15F.  I extracted the bullet, and verified the flash hole was clear.  I fired another .25acp primer and it was a very quiet pop.  I loaded up a couple others with fresh primers, and with the temps couldn't get more then that soft pop.

Changed out to the 209, and bought the last pack of 209's I could find in town, CVA "inline 209".  Tested one in the plug, and got a good solid pop off a bare primer.  Loaded up 85gn of Pryrodex P, and let her rip.  Trigger pull resulted in a large bark, and the ball smacking the dead oak at 75yrds right at POA with a big chunk being blasted off the stump. 

Looks like 209 is the winner for me!
-Rich