Author Topic: 358 JDJ Handi-Shorty Range report and pics  (Read 722 times)

Offline giddens1972

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
358 JDJ Handi-Shorty Range report and pics
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »
Well the rechamber from SSk came in last week.  I had to do some fine tuning to the 444marlin extractor to make it work.  The extractor itself was wider than the channel cut in the barrel, so with a little help with my buddy in the metals lab at school it now fits.  The only thing I tried was the Hornady 180gr sspb.  They average 2520fps out of my 14" contender so I figure they were running about 2700fps at least out of the 18" handi.  Forgot the chrony...  But anyway I got a good 3shot group.  The one circled doesn't count.  I may try to go hunting this afternoon(last day) and see if I can find something to bring home.
John

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 358 JDJ Handi-Shorty Range report and pics
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
Good shooting and great lookin lil shorty!!

One word of causing with the SSP's at 27 or even 2500 fps. They are designed for lower velocities of rifle calibers fried thru short barrels. IE they work better at velocities under what your getting. Switch the the reg Hornady 200 SP. I have shot dozens of deer with that bullet at your velocities from my 358 Win!! It's a much better choice than the SSP. If you must stay 180 use the Speer 180 FP. It's a tougher bullet than the SSP and will hold up for adaquite performance on game.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Looks great and an excellent group. Good luck hunting today...gotta love those 35's!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline giddens1972

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
Thanks CW...I do have some 200gr Hornady's.  I thought that might be a little too fast for the 180's.  I can use them on songdogs though! 
John

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
What CW said on the 180gr SSP, Hornady lists the MV for it as 1600-2400fps, the 180gr Speer is listed to 3100fps in the 358 Norma Mag according to their #13 manual, there's neglible difference in the BC of the two, .245 for the Speer and .248 for the SSP.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain