Author Topic: Do any of you think the Government has a file on GBO or any of us?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Do any of you think the Government has a file on GBO or any of us? It is apparent this is a pro gun site and most all of us are against any further restrictions on our 1rst amendment rights. Many here have said things against our government on a regular basis. It would seem to me this would be the type of site that they might want to keep an eye on and maybe a few of the members here due to past posts. What do you think? Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: Do any of you think the Government has a file on GBO or any of us?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
Do any of you think the Government has a file on GBO or any of us?

Yes
Please elaborate. Do you think they have files on members here? What kind of information do you think it would contain? Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me, Every time I by a gun and they do the check I get delayed. I always get approved but it always gets delayed. I'm betting there is some one out there with a similar name or ssn.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me, Every time I by a gun and they do the check I get delayed. I always get approved but it always gets delayed. I'm betting there is some one out there with a similar name or ssn.
I had the same problem for 4 or 5 years. Every time I went to buy a gun it would be delayed by at least a day. Then when my drivers license needed to be renewed and I wrote my SSN# down on the form the guy at the counter asked if I had my SS card with me. I showed it to him and it turns out they had the wrong number on file by 1 number off. I have not had any problem buying a gun since that was corrected. Dale

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »
Please elaborate. Do you think they have files on members here?

I already answered you on that...yes. How much can one elaborate on that?  ::)

What kind of information do you think it would contain? Thanks Dale

I have no idea, I'm not able to access such files....can you? ???

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
Advocating armed rebellion would probably qualify ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »

It would not surprise me.  I think that the government is working on search programs similar the programs many advertisers use which look for certain words or groupings of words on web forums like this.   In the case of the advertisers if a key word or words are spotted such as 'fish" or "fishing boat"  a pop up ad for a fishing tackle retailer or boat insurance agency is fired off.   In the governments case if the right words and or significant dates show up together the post and the posters IP address may be flagged for closer scrutiny by someone in the agency to determine the meaning of it. 

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Advocating armed rebellion would probably qualify ;)
the 2nd amendment is supposed to cover that, but the constitution is not much use anymore.
maybe when obamas brownshirts drag me out to the black van, people will wake up and grow a set.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Nuke41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »

No I don’t.  For that matter they don’t need to “keep a file”, if LE thinks someone has committed a crime all they have to do is send the site administrators a subpoena asking for the person’s details; name, email address, physical address, IP address of postings, etc.  Even if someone registered with a false name and contact info they could still be tracked down via the IP address alone.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
 ;) The Federal Gov't. and all that goes with it is the biggest threat to freedom we have...as far as this site, who knows if the check or not...but what they can dig up is something else...the FBI contacted a friend of mine..they wanted him to preform a routine service ...they came to his home, told his wife to leave the room, and proceeded to tell him things about himself that he had forgotten..BIG BROTHER IS HERE AND GETTING WORSE BY THE MINUTE UNDER THE PRESENT ADMINISTRATION...

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »

No I don’t.  For that matter they don’t need to “keep a file”, if LE thinks someone has committed a crime all they have to do is send the site administrators a subpoena asking for the person’s details; name, email address, physical address, IP address of postings, etc.  Even if someone registered with a false name and contact info they could still be tracked down via the IP address alone.

Now that's a refreshingly naive outlook! ;D

Offline Nuke41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »

Naive on what, how subpoenas work or how LE can track you down?  OK, here's a better question, ask forum admin if they have ever been served a subpoena for user account info.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
I served in the military so yes they have a file on me.....they aren't concerned with any of us.  They have bigger fish to fry.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me either.

I've bought dozens of guns in my life and never had a problem with the background check. This past Wednesday I bought a Mossberg 500 410HS and I got "delayed" for the 1st time in my life. They didn't give me a proceed until Friday. I always put my SS# on the form. They don't give you a reason for the delay either. Seems like another way to harass the law abiding.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
;)  BIG BROTHER IS HERE AND GETTING WORSE BY THE MINUTE UNDER THE PRESENT ADMINISTRATION...

Now lets not forget who put the patriot act in.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
OK, here's a better question, ask forum admin if they have ever been served a subpoena for user account info.

Nope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

Naive on what, how subpoenas work or how LE can track you down?  OK, here's a better question, ask forum admin if they have ever been served a subpoena for user account info.

Do you honestly believe they would bother with a subpoena? Tell ya what, you ask! ::)

Meanwhile, the question was "do you think the government has a file on GBO or any of us/" The answer has already been made, one poster stepped up and admitted he has such a file. I know of one other too.......Me.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
 Between being in the military and having purchased a few weapons, I am pretty sure they know about me ;)  But the biggest flag will be from being on them there gun websites ;D

I dont like it but what do you do?

Lonny

Offline Dixiejack

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »
What happens is that a Demogeek with OB (that's code for you know who) tattooed on his/her/its forehead and a warped a$$ childhood with be watching for you to type on your computer, certain groups of key words that h/h/i will interpret as Pro American. This information will be encoded into google.com, downloaded to a google map in one of those 35,000 drones that will be the present regime's eyes in the sky and a drone will locate you.  Unknown to you the drone will laser engrave (cheap and fast production move) PRO AMERICAN on your roof.  There you will be easy prey for the Justice Dept. to pay you a visit under the guise of a plumber, but you will know better because none of these guys will have beer guts and show their crack when they bend over. Now, you can exercise your right as the protector of your family and home.  I will keep a light on for you at the BO Motel 666.  ;D ::) >:(

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
I served in the military so yes they have a file on me.....they aren't concerned with any of us.  They have bigger fish to fry.
i wouldn't think they would have a concern with us as individuals. but as a group i would say they keep up on things. i mean they have done some strange things.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
How did they catch that group of old-timers here in Ga. who were making bombs and planned to blow up some places?
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »
Cameras at every intersection in America. Face recognition cameras and software in cities. Try to board a plane and strip searched, because, you dont know why and they dont know why, Yet you are a captain in the armed forces. SS# issued to everyone under a pretense that is no longer that pretense. The clown becoming president, who is he, where is he from, who knows him, what is going on? History, history, history!!!!  Where there is smoke there is fire.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
Gee, first you ask if they have a file. Then you ask us to elaberate. You really want us to do their work for them?  ;) ;D

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
There is a TV show titled Person of Interest that isn't nearly as far fetched as one might think.  It's always amazed me how hollywood has come so close to reality but we don't discover just how close until after the fact.   

Offline Nuke41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Do you honestly believe they would bother with a subpoena?

Of course they would, information has to come from somewhere and its the easiest way to obtain the user account information, give Greybeard a subpoena and he'll comply.  Even if the user account info is fake, they will back track through the IP address where the posts come from, then follow up with a subpoena to the ISP to ID who made the postings.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
There are dossiers on everyone that would make J Edgar Hoover jealous. The internet age makes all this possible. Any privacy you think you enjoy is merely an illusion. There are permanent records on everything you buy with a credit or debit card for example. Check the boxes your groceries are sold in, many of them are microchipped, and it's not just for theft protection. The worlds gone nuts,and privacy is non-existant.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
Who cares! If you havn't done anything wrong then you don't have to worry. Besides, they will do whatever they want and there ain't much you can do about it except stand your ground and take the final outcome. Sure they know about me, good for them. Big deal. If they want you they can make up anything they want. I have nothing to hide. They already know about most of it anyway. I ain't hard to find!!!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline osokusmc

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »

Three of the last five of my transactions have come back delayed.  After the second one I contacted my US Senator, John Thune.  His staff contacted the feds to ask what the problem was.  A while later I received a packet from the DOJ/FBI requesting my fingerprints, an explanation from me on what I thought was the reason for the delayed status, and a form to sign giving my permission to retain documents concerning my future gun purchases.  They explained that within 48 hours of a proceed status on the nics check, the record must be destroyed, which is why they couldn't tell me why my nics checks had come back delayed in the first place.  I didn't send anything back to them, and have since been delayed again.  My request to Sen. Thune was to help me identify a path that I could follow to restore my rights peacefully, he has yet to satisfy that request.  I guess it may be nearing time to fertilize the tree of Liberty.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »
I dont think you have any real magnitude of the nature of what you are asking. Every time you use a credit card, debit card, electronic check, there is a record of everything you bought, from toilet paper to potato chips. The post office or UPS, Fedex, has a record of where every package came from and where it went. Ever filled out a questionaire or survey, for anything? Have a facebook account? Have a friend who has a facebook account? Been in a public place where there are people who have a facebook account? When I call midway to order reloading stuff, they recognize my number, they answer the phone with my name, how can I help you? The computer automatically suggests things I might want to buy based on former purchases. I can be tracked 24/7 through gas receipts, fast food receipts etc. This is routinely done by BUSINESS just for sales purposes, to get advertising to me. They dont need a subpoena, they just need anyone whom is not computer illiterate. I nave worked for a department of state government for 25 years, I had to have drug tests, I have run for school board membership, I fill out surveys at Bass Pro Shops, Golf Discount, I give blood, I donate to my University charity drive.I file tax returns. Any simple datamining program  can pull all of this together, and any trained investigator could put together a profile in no time flat, almost like the "Truman Show". The only reason they dont bother is that anyone sufficiently out of the normal will be spotted, do something that people report or wonder about, your nosey neighbor, your well meaning aunt, your supervisor who is mandated to report suspicion. I was noted several years ago because I had a 3rd party bumper sticker. I am sure that as soon as my colonoscopy is scheduled they will immediately know if I am the _ _ _-_ _ _ _ they all thought I was. The rule of thumb is this: if you are in a bathroom in the basement with the lights out, it is surrounded with foil faced insulation, you have a radio tuned to a blank station producing static, and you do not put anything down the drains...... you may be safe.  My best defense is that my life is so boring that anyone forced to watch it closely might suicide.......
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.