Author Topic: My 1848 Pattern Prolong  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
My 1848 Pattern Prolong
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »

Hello all. I ask about building this prolong last month ,got no reply so gave it my best . I used AOP's prints  and learned a few thing on why certain measurements don't work out .IE the swivle-rivet length being only 2" as the toggle,s forgre eye-hole reduces the 3/4" .
Most interesting was that the hooks shape and size allows it to go over the pintle,as the 1860's ring, but not come off thought the throat .
 I worked along time to get all materials together . The rope is pure 4 Stand Hemp 3.5" untreated ,not the Philippine manila they try passing as hemp on the internet . Also the lashing and marline are hemp . The work shop sure smells interesting also and the musk smell of Jojoba oil I finish rubbed into it .
  Also posted is pic showing closer view of metal work hook, toggle and d-rings? .Also is my homemade fid to splice , some left-over marline and lashing 3 stand cord . The rope has a soft finish to it and swells considerabily when wet . The marline was left unfinished to aid drying as rotting has been noted in tarred splices . Glue was added at knots and ends to keep locked . Still tring to figure what the rings are for and comments on the lashing on of them.

enjoy  Tom

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: My 1848 Pattern Prolong
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
very nice work

Offline texas arty

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
Very nice work. Just a couple of questions. Where did you buy the hemp from and what are the two eye lets that you have lashed in between the hooks.

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
 The hook and toggle rings both go though 1.1" thimbles . Most thimbles are pear shape like one in pic next to the round 1 3/8 one ;like ones I cut down and reformed to 1.1" . The hemp is now legal to import my stuff came from the Netherlands back in 2006 . I been working on this project since way before then . I' ll get the companies info that retails it here in U.S.
                                                          Tom

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:01:35 PM »
Very nice!
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
We have a number of hemp rope retailers listed on the cannons link list.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:17:45 AM »
I think the rings are for attaching the cannoneers bricole harness for moving guns without horses. I don't know how they were attached but they would have been attached very securely.
Max

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 05:55:17 AM »
Tom,
It's plain to see that you've devoted a good deal of time, effort, and learning towards making a realistic prolonge, and it's also obvious that you succeeded; really admirable work!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Thank you ,for your kind evaluation . It's hard for people who are not in the hobby to understand what it takes to get the most historicial accurate reproduction possible .I've been in the hobby for decades and look forward to punishing you with some "How I did That " threads . I finally learned yesterday how to post pics here ,and the sharing of knowlege and ideas has kept my interest in this great site . As all builders know you will work on set-up and design of gig or pattern for 4 or 5 times what it takes to do the job .
  On the rope questions . I took a quick look at the links listing here ,could not find any selling 4 strand hemp . I've hunted this rope down since about 1995 . It is made by Langman Touwfabriek of Netherlands . This company has made rope since 1638 for shipping ,certainly though the Civil War . they still do natural ropes for the Tall Ships . Please treat your self to some of there historic manufacturing films available on You-Tube . They started making this natural hemp available in the US. www.rwrope.com in New Bedford , Mass.
  Order the 1 1/8" natural hemp 4 strand [ cannon prolonge ] ,and the 4mm hemp for marline covering the splices . Untreated is what I used to promote drying  as splices have been known to rot . The jojoba oil or mink oil can limit this . Bob Dollar is the man to deal with on ordering ask and he will send you a copy of instructions to make 4 strand eyes .
  The metal thimbles came from www.riggingproducts.net in Portland Or. part number 920-30160 1" gal round thimble . The width works fine for the rope but plans require reducing Dia. to about 1 1/8" inside +or - . the rest of the metal is 3/8 or 1/2 stock for rings . however the d's and hook require drawing out the thicknesses or latheing down before bending .
                                                           Tom