Author Topic: Trunnion attachment on a mortar?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Trunnion attachment on a mortar?
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
Is there anything better or worse between these two ways to put the trunnion bar on a mortar. One is welded on. The other is screwed on. I have seen it done both ways and don't know what the real difference is.

Also is the radius necessary in a mortar or does it just help shoot balls farther. Thanks.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Trunnion attachment on a mortar?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
The radius is a really GOOD design feature.  If the inside 'corner' was sharp, all the stresses would be concentrated there - making it a likely place for metal fatigue - i.e. failure by cracking.  The radius spreads the stresses over a wider area.  ALWAYS include a radius inside.  Smaller isn't as good as larger, but a sharp corner should be avoided.

GOOD questions!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
 Would it help if this part im pointing to had a radius. This would be easy to do before it goes in the tube.  Thanks.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
Outside corners do not compromise the design; inside corners create stress risers which can cause fatigue problems.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:58:16 AM »
You could machine a hemisphere in the breech end of the tube end, then machine a matching pocket in the trunnion bar with a ball end mill.  Then weld. 

Note:  I'd already turned off some old cuts that were in the piece when I got it.  Otherwise a larger hemisphere could have been made.  The trunnion shaft is stock I had from the same source, somewhat over scale but since we were going to cut into it, perhaps that was a good thing. 

The pieces mated nicely.

Prior to finish grinding.  Note:  the brass shaft welded strongly but not as pretty as we'd hoped...  testing showed the propeller shaft cutoff to be C462 Naval Brass with no welding specs listed. (Hmmm)   
I won't take credit for this idea, another member thought of it, I readily agreed & did he the machining to complete my project.  Thanks!!  (He knows who he is.  These picts are his.) 

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
I cut a trunnion diameter groove into the base of the mortar . Seat the trunnion into it then weld . Ed

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Would it help if this part im pointing to had a radius. This would be easy to do before it goes in the tube.  Thanks.

Yup, that's one of the two places.  (Inside bottom of the powder chamber is the other.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:33:31 AM »
On the brz shaft mortar, the barrel piece was very limited.  I had the chamber well into the base of the tube and I didn't want to compromise the 1 caliber around the chamber by drilling into it which the hemispere design does not.   

You could machine a hemisphere in the breech end of the tube end, then machine a matching pocket in the trunnion bar with a ball end mill.  Then weld. 

Note:  I'd already turned off some old cuts that were in the piece when I got it.  Otherwise a larger hemisphere could have been made.  The trunnion shaft is stock I had from the same source, somewhat over scale but since we were going to cut into it, perhaps that was a good thing. 

The pieces mated nicely.

Prior to finish grinding.  Note:  the brass shaft welded strongly but not as pretty as we'd hoped...  testing showed the propeller shaft cutoff to be C462 Naval Brass with no welding specs listed. (Hmmm)   
I won't take credit for this idea, another member thought of it, I readily agreed & did he the machining to complete my project.  Thanks!!  (He knows who he is.  These picts are his.)