Author Topic: bead issue  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
bead issue
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
I have been contemplating some choke work and thought I would go to the pattern board once again.  I guess I had missed this before.  I shot Federal Heavyweight with flitecontol wads as I had a couple left from last time.  This time I figured out it is shooting high and left, which explaines why I thought the pattern was off.  The last test I did I thought the big hole in the target was from the wad!  This time with a close backstop of dirt I could tell that was the shot column.  This does not suprise me since I had to replace the bead on this shortened barrel with a tru-glow stick on.  Anyone know how high the bead is on a 20 ga.?

Offline tcrace

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: bead issue
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:05:37 AM »
The bead height from the barrel on my 20 gauge Pardner is 0.132". Hope that helps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
My 20ga Pardner bead is .118" tall, thread size should be 3-56.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »
That's a pretty wide swing guys.  What kind of barrel contour do you have and does choke affect it?  I am assuming a tighter choke would make the outer contour of the barrel more tapered, necessitating a taller bead, but that may be my rifle roots showing!  Of course, since my barrel is a full choke that has been cut shorter, it may not be like anything y'all got.

Any suggestions, tips or snide remarks would be appreciated!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:48:27 AM »
Mine's modified. I think from previous discussions H&R/NEF have used different height beads over the years, not just height, but diameter which will affect height, you can always tweak the barrel to change POI too.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,88522.msg535464.html#msg535464

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:10:44 AM »
Thanks for the link Quick!  It was an interesting thread.  I have heard about doing that in a shooting magazine before.  Thanks for jogging my memory!  Sometimes you have to hear it from someone else to find the right solution to a problem.  Other times you have to chase the wrong idea around before you realize what will fix the problem!  When I get this little gun lined out I am gonna try to get it all put together and post the details.  I plan on making it a dedicated turkey gun complete with camo and sling swivles.  You think anyone would be interested in that?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
I was, and satisified that need.  ;D

Tim

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Remember, they with shoot to different POI off the bench than they do offhand.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »
Gcrank, I was shooting from a sitting position, like when I am hunting.  I am gonna shoot a few more patterns to make sure I'm not pulling the pattern off.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
A shotgun is made to be fired from standing and place the pattern where youre looking. Anything that affects the recoil impulse from that, like your seated position and the torquing you put on the gun will change the POI from being 'centered'. This happens with heavy kicking CF rifles too.
Your test is valid for you, for sure! If you find that it goes, say high left, you compensate and make it work. For me, I wouldnt tweak a barrel if the POI is that seated position, then its only good for that alone.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
I'd tweak it or even add sights being a dedicated turkey gun since turkeys are normally shot from a sitting position, then there's no figuring in kentucky windage in the heat of the moment, aim and shoot specially with tight shooting Flitecontrol ammo.  ;)

Tim

I plan on making it a dedicated turkey gun complete with camo and sling swivles. 

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
I guess I should have said,'in my experience', sitting on the ground in a blind, etc. and not knowing just where the critter will come from, Ive found myself having to twist and go into some funny contortions, even change shoulders, to get a shot. With that amount of variables to mounting the arm, and the change in recoil impulse and all I would expect a change in POI. Ive told myself 'no shot' unless Im really behind the gun anymore and hope I can stick with it..........then along will come that trophy of a lifetime, I suppose  :P .
So, for me, to tweak for one given field position in a world of dynamics such as I experience, when I can hold Kentucky Windage or Tennessee Elevation on an otherwise center shootin' piece is what I want.
As always, do what works for you  ;D .......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
I've killed a lot of toms, never from a blind, just sitting against a tree or in front of ground cover that breaks up my sillouette and I almost always knew where the bird was coming from in general since they usually answer my calls, I've had to change positions to keep a bird in front of me as he comes in and negotiates around brush and such, but they don't always come in to my anticipated shooting lane, but a good setup will allow you to move when the bird can't see you hopefully. The shot can be rested over my knee or just offhand while sitting, have even had to switch to offside when a bird shows up quiet and unexpected, just the querks of the spring turkey hunting, they still ended up going home with me.  ;D My point of aiming the shot like rifle is particularly important with tight shooting loads like Flitecontrol ammo provides, what looks like a great pattern at 30-35yds may be real tight at 15-20yds, and a mistake in POA (forgetting the kentucky adjustment) will bite ya, and with a single shot, there won't be a second chance as with a double or repeater.  ???

Tim

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Sometimes you are lucky to get a FIRST chance at a bird!  ;D

So, for me, to tweak for one given field position in a world of dynamics such as I experience, when I can hold Kentucky Windage or Tennessee Elevation on an otherwise center shootin' piece is what I want.

Point well taken Gcrank.  This is not a center shooting piece in any position from my experience.  The previous owner sawed the end of the barrel off which I think has alot to do with the pattern.

Quick, your right about that Flite Control wad.  That picture I posted above is at about 15 yards and it's like a rifle!  30 yds and it's still tight!  Only problem is I have a hard time finding it on a regular basis locally.

When I find some more I am gonna practice a little before I tweak any. . .

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »
I have found that smaller gauge Pardners shoot high.  The smaller the gauge the higher they pattern.  Sounds normal given the chamber is the same diameter in 12 gauge as it is in .410 however, the muzzle varies a lot.  My 12 ga 27.5 inch barrel is pretty centered but my 22 inch 20 gauge throws the pattern a little high.  Need some Kentucky elevation.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:20 AM »
Get a red dot !
I have hunted turkeys most of my life with several types of guns. You can change ammo and change POA . If you want to be good with a gun shoot it from many positions at many distances. I have had to lean around a tree and shoot off handed from a sitting position, ever had one tom call and a quiet one try slide in from another direction . Learn to shoot the gun by knowing where it points not trying to aim so much. To that end place a large cardboard sheet or bed sheet or something similar out as a target. Bring the gun up to your cheek and shoulder and fire with out aiming so much. after 10 shots you will see where the gun is shooting for that load . Now you can add aiming knowing where the gun shoots.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
Yes guys, I am begining to think that practice is what this gun needs as much as anything.  I notice that when I bring the gun up to my cheek, I can see the barrel in my sight picture.  I feel like if I can practice on getting down on the stock like I do with my rifle, this might solve the problem. 

Now if I can just find some more shells. . .

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Seeing that it's a dedicated turkey gun, you could take some off the comb of the stock to get your face down so you're seeing less barrel.

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »
Of course, since my barrel is a full choke that has been cut shorter, it may not be like anything y'all got.

If your barrel has been cut (more then two inches) there is no choke at all left in it.  I'm quite impressed that you're getting that tight of a pattern solely from the Flite control wad. 

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 04:03:40 AM »
JP I dont know how long it used to be, I guess I could call H&R to see if they can tell me.  I measured the inside diameter with a caliper and it seems to be close to modified restriction.  I compared the reading I got with a chart I found online showing what the choke measurements were considered within each label.  I cannot remember the measurements I got, but of course there is only .010 - .015 difference between Full and Mod.   

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Here is another choke chart from Colonial below.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
Hey BW, if it's shooting tight lets not worry about it.  I just might have to find some flite control for my 12 and 20.  Both are modified, which is fine but sometimes in the latter part of squirrel season a full would be nice.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Get a red dot !

I agree!!  Way back when I was teaching my wife to shoot/hunt. We had big problems with the shotgun. She just cannto get the hang of keeping her cheek on the stock so constantly shoots high. Thankfully, she dosen't really like shooting bird sans Turkeys! SO, I cured the problem by adding a AimPoint to her barrel! Works like a charm!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »
Yes guys, I am begining to think that practice is what this gun needs as much as anything.  I notice that when I bring the gun up to my cheek, I can see the barrel in my sight picture.  I feel like if I can practice on getting down on the stock like I do with my rifle, this might solve the problem. 

Now if I can just find some more shells. . .
Stand facing a mirror and bring the gun up and look down the bbl. Do it with eyes shut then open and see where you are pointing . Over time you can pratice until you are looking down the bbl and pointing where you are looking. Another thing is mount the gun and follow the line where a wall and cieling meet in rooms it helps get you to swing smooth as the mirror helps get the mount smooth and so you don't take your eyes off the target/turkey. You don't need as many shells to get good  ;) 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !