Author Topic: Handi Accuracy Discovery...  (Read 1736 times)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Handi Accuracy Discovery...
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
If this tip is common knowledge and I have just managed to miss it all of these years, please excuse me.

For some time I have been making QD "tools-free" forearm knobs for my Handi rifles... Recently I made a batch of knobs and while doing so it occured to me that I would be able to control (to some degree) the forearm screw torque by adjusting the depth of the knob screw so that it "bottoms out" in the barrel lug and returns to the same (approximate) depth/pressure. So, I cut the 1/4" X 20 hardened steel stems slightly over length and gradually filed them down until I had the desired torque by bottoming out the knob bolt in the barrel lug. I tested this by dismounting and remounting the barrel between each five shot group and did this with three SB2 frames using two barrels on each frame and alternating barrels on each alternate group... the results were significant (although this is entirely subjective and inconclusive since it is based on experience and not empirical data)... my POI changed less than it ever has on barrel changes... paticularily when dismounting/remounting a single barrel (as opposed to different barrels). Note, I used the same barrel contours on the same frames for my casual test... example; with one frame I used a heavy .243 and a heavy .308, with another frame I used a standard contour .223 and a standard contour 7mm-08.

Maybe this will help out some other shooters with barrel swapping or dismounting accuracy. Good shooting. 

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Accuracy Discovery...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
See Forend Screw Stop in the Accurizing section of the FAQs, Larry recommended using a socket head set screw in the forend stud.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Good Show!

I tried the set screw tip and while it was repeatable I found it easier to simply use dedicated frames. To those who do swap barrels it is a useful choice!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
See Forend Screw Stop in the Accurizing section of the FAQs, Larry recommended using a socket head set screw in the forend stud.

Tim
This process is different than Larry's recommendation and superior in that the full threaded stud is being utilized, the base of the knob distributes the pressure over a greater area, on the hardened surface of the stock (as opposed to the drilled portion) and in a direct resistance motion, perpendicular to the barrel (rather than laterally as with the factory tapered screw). Also, there are less parts to mess with and/or loose, or possibly shift... I am going to experiment with bedding a pillar around the forearm lug hole (a washer could also be inlet into the forearm or simply surface mounted) and utilizing an adjusted length forearm lug screw (flat base, not tapered)... I don't always want a QD knob on my forearm... although the reason that I use a full 1" diameter knob is that I shoot with it in the center of my palm... it aids in repeatability (I find).

P.S - I was asked about the gun pictured in the opening post; it is a .30/30 with a DNZ mount and Mueller Multi-Shot scope and sports an 18" barrel with a Ross Schuler muzzle brake... that SB2 frame and Boyd's Sterling Thumbhole stock set (finished in textured black) was used in the above testing with another barrel, (pictured below)... the other barrel is a 7.62X39mm also 18", also with a Schuler brake and using a Weaver rail with Dura Sight Z2 QD rings and a Mueller Sport Dot scope (you have to look closely... different scope and mounts... if you have VERY good eyesight perhaps you can tell the diffrence between 0.308" and 0.310"!!!  ;D );

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Good Show!

I tried the set screw tip and while it was repeatable I found it easier to simply use dedicated frames. To those who do swap barrels it is a useful choice!

CW
Thanks... but using a dedicated frame doesn't necessarily (probably not) solve the fluctuating torque problem,.. due to screws backing out... debris getting in between the forearm and barrel, swelling due to humidity and moisture (although synthetics are much better with this) etc... also, most people will at least remove the forearm once in a while for thorough cleaning... mine are off an on all the time... which is why this idea percoloated in my mind for awhile. I am sure some others must be in this boat also. P.S - C.W, I see you share my affinity for rimfires and shorties also!  ;)   :)   

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »
P.S - C.W, I see you share my affinity for rimfires and shorties also!  ;)   :)

I have a "few" shorties (Levers, Single shots, Bolts and Pumps) and a few more rimfire's...(Single shots, Autos, Bolts, Pumps and Bolts) ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline peak98

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »
HoytCannon
Any clue on how much  torque (foot/inch pounds) gave you the best degree of accuracy ?
Your weapon sits on top of you shoulders, everything else is just equipment.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
HoytCannon
Any clue on how much  torque (foot/inch pounds) gave you the best degree of accuracy ?
Nope... this test was solely for consistency and returning things to the same set-up and POI... I did not test fire as I was adjusting the screw length... although that would be easy enough to do at the range also, by firing and filing as you go... once you file too much though, you would have to start over with a new screw.

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »
Hoycanyon,
Excellent idea.  I'm on my way to Ace Hardware to get some screws for this project.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
I like your solution, but as most cases, there are more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. It is a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

I pillar bedded mine so the pillar "bottoms out" against the lug and I use a button head screw for a Allen wrench. I also have a dedicated fore end for each barrel. When I snug up the button head screw, the relationship between the barrel and the fore end is repeatable because the pillar sets on the lug the same each time. You can increase the torque and the relationship between the barrel and the fore end stays the same. While a knob is very convenient, I just do not like the look, but it could be used with a pillar just the same.

BTW - I show how to do a pillar in the FAQ section. I think the relationship between the fore end cap and the frame are important too. By pillar bedding the fore end your fore arm and frame relationship can be maintained as well. Of course, it works best with a wood fore end where you can shim or shave the fore end/cap relationship to adjust this relationship.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline hoytcanon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
I have noted considerable fluctuation in the forend cap to receiver relationship... Even with a fixed fulcrum and single screw anchor the forend can be shifted from side to side on assembly... For years I have been diligent to (attempt) to center the forearm fit, on assembly, by placing my thumb and fore finger on either side and holding the spacer centered while locking down the forend and tightening the screw... I pretty much have the process and consistency down... But even with all diligence there is some degree of lateral movement... It would be interesting to range test if there is any practical difference, on paper, between a centered forend and one intentionally misaligned?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
As much as some of my factory plastic forearm spacers are 'off center' I thought is was intentional  :P .......
I let the durn things center themselves up (no tension) and tighten the screw. After a few shots Im sure the recoil and vibes have settled everything where it 'wants' to be. They seem to shoot where they are pointed......works for me, YMMV.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974