Author Topic: Ballistic chronograph reviews  (Read 908 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Ballistic chronograph reviews
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »
   I find the need to get a chronograph and I don't know BOO.  Any DONT'S  or  MAYBEs?   I expect some DOs will show    up   too.   Thank y'all,    kody

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Ballistic chronograph reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »
There is the top of the line Ohler 35 Proof Chronograph at $595.00 shipped TYD.
http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

Or any of the plethora of lesser models to fit a budget.

I purchased a PACT 1XP for about $140 shipped TYD and am happy with it for the amount of time that I use a chronograph.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/369265/pact-model-1-xp-chronograph-with-improved-sky-screen-mounting-bracket

This from http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm
...knowing how fast the bullet leaves the barrel of a specific firearm will allow us to determine bullet trajectory along line of sight, as well as how fast the bullet will be traveling, and how hard it will hit at any selected distance. The ballistic chronograph isn't much more than two sensors spaced a known distance of apart [sic], and a timing circuit. When the bullet crosses the first sensor, the clock starts, when it crosses the second sensor, the clock stops. Then some software, written by the guy who didn't fall asleep in algebra class on the day they were working on time distance problems, interprets the results into feet per second. Throw in a little calculus with some bullet specific streamlining values, and you've got a ton of external ballistic information.

I think for me the chrono was a "passing" thing.  I have one.  I use it - sparingly.  It works well.  It has certainly made me more confident when hunting.  It took the mystery out of the velocity unknowns.   But now it just sits there mostly, waiting for me.  Please, do not take away the wrong message here. 

My range is Private...my land, and 30 minutes away from the house.  Upon arrival it takes me 30 minutes (5 minutes is the chrono) to set everything up to start shooting.  It takes another 30 minutes to put everything away at the end of the day.  Everything is hauled in and hauled out to keep Poachers from stealing it.  So there is a certain time investment for me to go shooting for groups on paper, particularly if I am shooting through the chronograph.  And it is in the woods, with trees overhead and scatter/diffused sunlight on the skyscreens.  It is best set up where there are no overhead trees as scattered sunlight, refracted/difused sunlight through tree branches, wind shifting tree branch shadows, will negatively affect readings.

You will need a sturdy tripod, the kind sold in camera stores.  I painted the leading edges of my sky screens to show me the "Sweet Spot" within which to try to shoot to avoid blasting a support.  So far so good.

Set up can be a little problematic, if you are trying to shoot for groups at the same time as you are reading velocities, and has nothing to do with the electronics.  The rifle muzzle, skyscreens, and target have to align.  Getting that alignmnet is tempermental at best.  Use of hand held radios with a shooting partner is recommended.

Take extra batteries (flat 9V in mine like smoke detector) with you to the range as the time between uses is not kind to batteries and it is no fun to get there, get set up, and find a dead one.  And take the battery out between uses as battery acid and metal electronic contacts do not mix.  Just saying.  This did not happen to mine.

Ths distance between the muzzle and first sky screen (~12' min. and 15' is best) is real important for heavy rifles as the muzzle blast can negatively affect the timing by setting off the first microsensor before the bullet gets there, seemingly and artificially "slowing down the bullet" velocity - dramatically - leaving you to wonder WTH did these "squib loads" come from, until you realize what is going on.

Good luck...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:55:23 AM »
ive had a couple chronys and never cared for them. To many non reads and when they did read you really couldnt trust the readings. both of mine allways read to high. Ive now got a pact and its worlds  better but still isnt near the chrony that my buddys ohler is. He also has a second chronograph he leaves right at his range. Its one of the rcbs bullet chronys. For the price that thing really works. I think its every bit as good as my pact at half the price.
blue lives matter

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
 As mentioned earlier a Chronograph takes time to setup and take down.  The setup time is key because you need to make sure you are properly lined up from the bench to the target.  Off a little and your chronograph maybe no more; in fact I made the rounds of yard sales and I found a very suitable tripod for $2.00. 

My wife bought me my first Chrony around 1995-6 or so.  I shoot it with a pistol round 13 years later.  Not the fault of the Chrony.  I re-wired it and it works.  It is a Alpha Master Chrony.  I used the shooting to justify and new Beta Master Chrony.  From my brother’s story and friends incidents I think more instruments are shot with handguns then rifles.  My brother shot a rod.

I have changed areas for testing.  Original location presented some issues with good steady sunlight.  Surrounded by tall timber ideal light conditions were limited to a few hours a day. And building thunderstorms during the summer created issues.  I was getting a lot of light related error messages.

The last couple years I have had few error messages because I have picked my days and there have been no issues with lighting.  I was using the Chrony last week for about six hours.  I had zero error messages collecting data from three different rifles and a number of loads.  The last few days I have spent some time scanning Chrony work sheets and storing the data on my computer.  It has been an opportunity to review old data collected.  It appears that there is a consistency in the data obtained from the Chrony.  I did find a difference in data when I changed from a high altitude shooting location to a low altitude site. 
The biggest flaw I have found is in my own record keeping.  I have kept a binder on my firearms data for years but in some cases my information has stayed on a number of clip boards.  When working I have record data that has stayed on the clipboard for a long time. 
I am not a Chrony expert but I think the best way to be more knowledgeable is to use it more often.  The best way is to spend time at the range with a 22 rifle and work with the different functions.  No doubt in my case a “Chrony for Dummies” manual is in order.  Or just practice.  There has been long periods where I have not used the Chrony.

For a long time I have been looking for a powder in the Accurate Mag-Pro burning range.  Just because a test round makes a loud bang does not tell me a lot about velocity, energy and drop.  I use my data in conjunction with the Sierra Infinity Six ballistics program.

The Accurate Mag-Pro data shows a span of 5.1-grains with a 150-grain bullet in the 270 Winchester.  I found that my two low on the scale test loads falling short of expected velocity.  Functioning and examination of the primer and cases indicate that I can build on the load.  I need to continue on because the test loads fall far short of my long standing H4831 loads in the velocity department.

I have been happy with the Chrony but if I had the money I would buy an Oehler 35P. 

I believe a chronograph takes time and effort on the user of the instrument.  I think that best results come from the personnel investment a user makes in his instrument and the data recorded.  I am a shaky example of a Chrony user.  My sessions are far enough apart that retention on what the button does is weak.  My brother is not detailed orientated.  His Chrony has set in the box for many years.  He would have been better off investing in bullets, powder, and primers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNKUAgpKNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqU5R_U8SKk
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.