Author Topic: Breech Plug Sealing  (Read 3179 times)

Offline sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Breech Plug Sealing
« on: August 11, 2004, 12:24:40 PM »
This subject came up again on another forum.  This the information I posted and it WORKS, anyway on my four inlines.  I really don not even worry about siezed plugs - I shoot several rounds each trip to the rock pit.

The following picture shows my efforts as explained below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/BreechPlug.jpg

this is one of those things that I have really been forunate with. When I go to the range I shoot 30-40 shots 100 grains of loose t7 with 209 primers. I shoot 2 Remingtons and 2 A&H's. With all four of these guns I beleive I have the breech plug thing whipped. I do not loosen or even fool around with the breech plug at the range. When I get home and get to it I turn it (them) out with very little pressure. I have tried several anti sieze products, and anti sieze with tape, even tried the finger tight thing, but have settled on just TC's tape - one wrap.

From the two sidelocks that I built I think I have learned something.... I believe the the face of the breech plug should mate up with the face flange of the barrel, if this mating is clean and tight, this mating should stop gasses from going back into the threads of your breech plug. I have blackened the face of my breech plugs screwed them in snuggly against the barrel flange - back them back out and checked the black to see if contact had been made all the way around. The 2 Remingtons and one of the A&H's showed that there was good contact all the way around on the plug. One A&H seemed to have a very small non-contact spot. The next thing I do is start wrapping Teflon tape from the barrel end of the plug back to the nipple end. The key for me is that begining wrap - when I am done wrapping the tape on the barrel end of the plug it should extend out from the plug - I then push and press the tape down on the face of the plug - instert it into the threads and I tighten it snuggly against the barrel flange - not tight - do not want to tear the teflon, but make it snug because you need to compress the teflon a bit. If you look down into the barrel with a barrel light you should see the teflon all the way around the breech plug in the barrel. Your very first shot will drive that excess teflon back up into any gaps there might be and your threads are sealed... (the teflon might even cover the flash hole when your done wrapping) Popping one cap will take care of that.

That is my formula it has worked well for me - but every rifle is different so I can't say it will work for you all. I really believe it all comes down to how well the face of the plug and the face of the barrel mate up.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....

Offline Nic_58

Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:21:07 AM »
Sabotloader,
I like your idea of wrapping the breech plug with the T/C tape and I can see how it would be a lot less messy than using grease.  But, I'm not sure if it would work on my Omega w/ the .25ACP breech plug conversion.  The breech seals really snug against the .25ACP case when the action is closed.  I believe by adding a thousandth or two of thickness to the front of the breech plug by wrapping the tape around the front would not allow the action to close without applying too much pressure.  Has anyone else tried this with an ACP conversion?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 08:25:44 AM »
I have not tried it, but I will. Thanks Sabotloader. Very good post with good info.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:15 AM »
I just got my .25ACP conversion and the brass that came with it refuse to let the action close without EXTREME force. I sorted some old .25 brass and found some a few thousands shorter; problem solved. You can do the same if the tape causes a problem just trim the brass to the new length. If you reload and have the brass trimming set-up you are OK. Otherwise you can buy one of the less expensive trimming devices (Lee for instance) and again problem solved.
[/b]

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 04:49:10 PM »
Is there any problem with using standard breech plug grease?  I just started shooting an encore barrel and when I put in my new .25ACP plug, I just coated the threads with a little Knight breech plug grease.  The same as I've been using on my Knight Wolverine for years.  I hope that will be sufficient as it sure is simple.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »
Quote from: smoky
Is there any problem with using standard breech plug grease?  I just started shooting an encore barrel and when I put in my new .25ACP plug, I just coated the threads with a little Knight breech plug grease.  The same as I've been using on my Knight Wolverine for years.  I hope that will be sufficient as it sure is simple.

Smoky

I do the same thing with no problems at all. I just never tried the tape.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »
I'm gonna try it when I start shootin the black diamond again, it's a sumbitch to get the plug out after shootin even just one 120g 3f T7load. I've tried gorilla grease, superlube and my old beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix, none have helped. There's always lot of fouling in the threads when I remove it, so maybe the tape will help. Thanks SL!
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sabotloader

• A Real Regular
Breech Plug Sealing
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 06:40:40 PM »
quickdtoo

The real key is if your plug goes up flush with the barrel flange.  Which means the face of the plug and the face of the flange need to be clean.  A good way to check this is after clean-up blacken the face of the plug with a new black felt pen - screw the plug in quickly and snuggly - unscrew and check the face of the plug - if the face has a clean ring all the way around the plug - you are going to get a seal.... If you look at the 4th picture - you will see where or you can visualize how the face of the plug mated up with the face of the barrel, immediately after that is a small depressed area all the way around the plug and it shows no change in the tape color even after 20 rounds - it was completly sealed. No blow-back gases or burnt powder at all.

I wish I could say I invented this but, I got this ideal from Toby Bridges and his shooting of the Savage. He was always sticking breech plugs until he wrapped the whole plug, the Savage has a different plug with a long extension into the breech - no threads on the extension but he foud he needed to wrap it also.

Sure hope this works for everyone as well as it has for me...

www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=39309

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - they are a blast....