Author Topic: Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol I  (Read 6246 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol I
« on: September 23, 2004, 03:03:01 AM »
Here are links to our Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Photo albums.  the Albums themselves are left floating on the board. You can alway access them from this post

Volume I

Volume II

Volume III

Because pictures take time to load I'll make more volumes as we go along.

Send me your favorite Cannon pictures and I’ll post them up for you.

Here are the guidelines

1. Can be a battery of your guns.
2. Can be a single gun. But only one picture per single gun will be posted.
3. You can be in the picture with the gun, but not required.
4. You should provide a description of your gun.
5. Picture can be digital. No restriction on size but should be in .bmp or .jpg format.
6. Chemical pictures “Photo’s” can be no larger than 8x10. Contact me for snail mail and I will scan them in.

I will do some limited photo editing> I will be reducing them in resolution and size to fit our board. You can send more than one picture, but only one will be posted per gun.

The photo albums will be locked, only the moderators will be able post to them.

Offline Double D

Calamity Jane
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 03:07:45 AM »

1/3rd scale Civil War 6-Pounder, scratch built from Dixie Gunworks
plans. 19" wheels, bronze barrel with structural steel liner, 1" bore

Offline Double D

Rifleshooter2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 03:42:39 AM »

1841 1/4 scale tube from Hern Iron works. The carriage is a garrison type carriage made from some scrap hardwood  had laying around. I shoot about 300 gr of 1f  it's a nice little noise maker

1/6 scale Revolutionary War Cannon. The barrel is 4140 steel, bored to .50 cal. I scaled down the dimensions from Mullers book on Artillery. the carriage was also made from scrap lumber I had laying around. the iron fittings were some old banding straps. 120gr of 2 f for blank loads and 70gr for a .490 ball and .010 patch she groups pretty nice at 50yds.

.75 Cal Coehorn Mortar. It's my first attempt at cannon making. The barrel is 303 stainless steel and the mortar bed is maple. A charge of 120gr of 2f and a little wadding makes a nice crack

King howizter. South Bend tube on a carriage made by an Amish wagon maker. He used Mullers artillery book to make the carriage.

This gun is called the Flying Howitzer. We us it in our reenactment of the Legion of the United States (1792-1796) It has a 1 1/2 inch bore and makes a nice boom with 3 oz of 1F.(the originals had a 2 3/4in bore) In the group pic I'm the second from the right.

Offline Double D

DoubleD
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 05:17:31 AM »

This is a firing scale model of an Army M-1814 42-pounder Army howitzer on modified naval gun truck. Instead of using a quin for elevation, the original elevating screw from the field gun carriage was used. This model is a copy of a gun recovered from the U.S.S. Cairo sunk by a mine in the Mississippi  River during the Battle for Vicksburg.  I bought the plans for this gun from the Late William Green and scaled them up for a one-inch bore.

6 pdr Coehorn Mortar upgraded from a beercan mortar. (in progress)

Offline Double D

Maxcaliber
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 08:13:31 AM »

The gun is a three-quarter scale replica of an 1841 6-pounder, wheel height is around 43 inches. Every piece of the carriage was built by me. The wood is all white oak with the exception of the wheel hubs which are solid black walnut. The shiny parts are mostly bronze and were sand cast. The trail plate, chains and wheel tire nuts and washers were made from brass stock. The bore is around 2.25 inches.

Static display of a disassembled 1860's style Field Carriage.

Offline Double D

Lyle
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 04:28:43 AM »

Williams' Gun..invented by D. R. Williams 1861..used at Seven Pines/Fair Oaks and later at Blue Springs,Tennessee. Finished this one May of 2002.

The bore is just under 5" ..the balls are a sliding fit. I use 400 to 700 grs. cannon grade depending on the range. 450 grs. is good for about 400 yards.