Author Topic: 25-06 Handi goes to the range  (Read 1743 times)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
25-06 Handi goes to the range
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
I thought that I would not get to the range until after the first of the year with Christmas stuff and deer season still on here in Dixie.
However my son has a new/used 20 gauge shotgun and a new scope for his Savage .22 and he was pushing for a range trip. I had a day off today so guess where we went?
While he was sighting in his new scope I took my 25-06 Handi-rifle with an old Leupold 3.5 X 10 Vari X III 50mm out to play. I had a stash of Hornady 117 grain Custom ammo so I figured it would be a good place to start.
From a firm rest under the hinge area I bore sighted and adjusted my scope to impact 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. Then I cleaned the barrel carefully and shot for groups. The first thing I noticed was a tendency to vertical string the groups. I improvised a rubber washer for the forend by cutting the corner off of my truck floor mat and using an old 30-06 empty case I found on the ground as a center punch. After intalling the washer the forend no longer contacted the barrel and the stringing stopped. I cleaned the barrel completely and let it cool down. I fired about 5 groups of four shots each, cleaning and cooling the barrel between each group. In each case the first shot impacted about 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and the next 3 shots formed a tight group at dead center. I ended up with two groups of holes. One group, from the cold, clean barrel, was 2.5 inches high at 100 yards and measured about 2 inches. The second group, from a dirty warm barrel, was at dead center and measured under one inch.
Two main conclusions;

1. This rifle likes a dirty slightly warm barrel for accuracy.
2. With this ammo my first shot from a cold clean barrel (hunting) will be somewhere within 2 inches of my point of aim about 2.5 inches high at 100.

I am thinking that as the barrel gets broken in and slightly more polished the accuracy will improve. No shots on this target would have been far enough off to not kill a deer sized animal provided the distance was not over 150 yards or so. I think I will shoot about 250 or so more rounds thru it for practice and fun and then start doing some tinkering with reloading, distance from rifling, ect. to see if I can get it to shoot a little better from a cold clean barrel. Overall I am pretty happy. The lockup seems great, no ejection problems yet and accuracy, while a little finicky seems good for the first try with factory ammo.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 06:13:15 PM »
My 223 UV shoots best after I have shot about 10 rounds thru it fairly fast.  It seems to like a dirty pretty warm barrel best of all.  If I was going to hunt with a handi, I would shoot several thru it, leave it dirty and hunt all season that way.  Unless you get some foreign stuff in the barrel it should not hurt it to leave it dirty for the season.  Then give it a good cleaning after the season is over.
Luke 11:21

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 05:26:11 AM »
riddleofsteel:

You might want to try what I did before your next range session...get a tube of Flitz...and a oversized bore mop and polish the bore about 50 times...it certainly helped my groups with my new 25-06......

These were the first shots out of it...and I'm using the factory Winchester Supreme 115 Ballistic Silver tips...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 10:47:59 AM »
Funny but I had come to that idea on the way to work this morning. Same as shooting it a couple of hundred times and cheaper as well.

Thanks

Your group looks like my bottom group, the shots from a fouled barrel. Notice it still has a vertical string shape.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 11:25:36 AM »
Varmint Al gets credit for the idea from me, that's where I first saw it.....

http://www.varmintal.com/ashot.htm#Break
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 05:38:56 AM »
Sounds like your '06 is doing good so far. :grin: I love mine. With 75 grain V-max reloads, I can put 3 shots under 1 inch at 100y. Out to 325y, I managed a 2-1/16" group using the 75 grainers.

Continue shooting it and it should get better for you. Heck, I only have about 70-80 rounds through mine. Not enough to get the barrel broken in yet. Another note is getting used to the gun. Getting used to the gun only shrinks groups even more.

Here's that load if anyone's interested:

Bullet- Hornady 75g V-Max
Powder- IMR 4350
Powder weight- 56.5g
Casing- Whichever you desire
Primer- CCI 200
Velocity- 3575fps
Chamber pressure- 52000

Good luck with the gun.....

Hildy

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 07:12:53 AM »
Hildy:

That sounds like a good varmint load....thanks for the info...I'll add it to my very long list of loads to try this year...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 11:32:19 AM »
Well, I set up my 25-06 in the vise and followed the instructions on polishing a rifle bore. I used a bore mop wrapped with a patch and Flitz polish. I sat the vise so the mop could not exit the barrel due to bumping a cabinet and made around 75 passes stopping twice to renew the Flitz patch.
It took me over an hour to get all the Flitz/black junk off of my cleaning rod and out of the bore. When I was finished I could pass a patch, soaked in Shooter's Choice on my cleaning jag, thru the barrel with zero dirt/black coming out. I wrapped a patch around a .45 nylon brush and scrubbed my chamber and chamber throat until clean. At one point I was getting some rust/shellac colored mess out of the chamber but it cleaned out pretty fast. I have had great ejection so far so I am not trying to make a problem that I do not have.
I now have a squeaky clean, polished bore and chamber. I also cut a nice flat rubber washer to space the forend so it does not touch the barrel. Tomorrow morning I will be at the range bright and early. I plan to shoot some cold, clean barrel groups by completely cleaning/cooling/drying the bore between shots. I may do that four or five times to see where the impact point is and how it groups. If I can get it to group around 1 to 1.5" from a cold clean barrel I will rezero and call it ready to hunt. I realize it may still group better from a slightly dirty barrel but I really do not want to store and hunt with a dirty rifle. If I can get it to minute of deer chest I will be satisfied. What I use for varmint shooting later is another story.
Tomorrow afternoon and Saturday are out last two deer hunting days here in N.C. Of course there are some coyotes and ground hogs my cousin wants off of his farm so I will have some worthy targets until next year.