Author Topic: BC 45-70 question???  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Justice Trimble

• Trade Count: (0)
BC 45-70 question???
« on: January 16, 2005, 05:07:19 PM »
:-)Hello Again,

I've read alot about the Buffalo Classic 45-70.  So far, I haven't been able to find anything bad about it.  I ordered one and it'll be in next week.  Is there anything bad about them?  Is there anything I need to watch out for?  What's the "down side" to them?  OR....are they that good?

Thanks for your time!

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 05:14:15 PM »
I'm sorry I have to report one bad thing.... a real down side, is that they are addicting as heck   :shock:

And there is no cure  :lol:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 05:16:01 PM »
The only thing "bad" I've seen of them is the shape of the stock and butt is a little hard on the shoulder if shooting heavy loads.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 06:08:33 PM »
The absolute WORST thing about the BC is AFTER you sell it, you REALLY regret it.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline mutwagn

• Trade Count: (8)
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:59:14 AM »
I see on the H&R barrel program page they list the BC barrel as available.
 Part # W45.
 Has any one had one fitted to there H&R/NEF SB2 receiver, and had it drilled and tapped it for a scope base? Or seen if the factory will fit it to anything but a BC action.
 My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, the reason for the scope base, and I would like a longer barrel length than the standard 22" that is offered.
 I would like to have one done like this, and make sure it is throated so it would work well with a cast 500 grain bullet.
 I have a friend that has a swinging target of 1/2" plate, about 18"x24", at 350 yards, that it would be a hoot to shoot with those big cast slugs at.
 Sorry to those that see this as a sacrilidge, but it has been on my mind since recently purchasing a receiver from a friend, and deciding what barrel/barrels to order.
 Thanks, Andy
"Suppose you were an idiot . . . . And suppose you were  member of Congress . . . . But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Offline Cottonwood

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 11:18:26 AM »
Quote from: mutwagn
I see on the H&R barrel program page they list the BC barrel as available.
 Part # W45.
 Has any one had one fitted to there H&R/NEF SB2 receiver, and had it drilled and tapped it for a scope base? Or seen if the factory will fit it to anything but a BC action.

The Buffalo Classic action is a SB-2 and already comes drilled and tapped for a modern scope rail that is already available in the accessories dept.

I already know of one and the owner calls it a "Franklin Classic"

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, the reason for the scope base, and I would like a longer barrel length than the standard 22" that is offered.  I would like to have one done like this, and make sure it is throated so it would work well with a cast 500 grain bullet.

The Buffalo Classic already has a thoating that is only 0.010" and you can use a 500-gr 1881 Govt RN bullet by Western Bullets  I have used this very bullet before and it is accurate in the Buffalo Classic.

I have a friend that has a swinging target of 1/2" plate, about 18"x24", at 350 yards, that it would be a hoot to shoot with those big cast slugs at.

You can do it no problem, but with a modern scope will you get enough elivation to hit that plate at 350 yards?

Sorry to those that see this as a sacrilidge, but it has been on my mind since recently purchasing a receiver from a friend, and deciding what barrel/barrels to order.
 Thanks, Andy

The guy that owns the Franklin Classic just might send you a PM with a picture of his Buffalo Classic... at least your getting out and shooting it that is what matters most.   :D

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 12:20:55 PM »
i picked up one used but in like new condition at a local gunshow for 200 bucks!! after playing around with a 25 dollar creedmore tang sight on it ( which btw shot pretty darn good ) i now have a smith enterprise full buckhorn/ladder sight mounted in the scope rail screwholes and with the ladder set at 6 i shot an eight inch group at 500 yards using the big 500 grain lead bpcr bullet with 38.5 grains of imr3031 i shot this gun/load combo 45 times last saturday with no padding other than a shirt between my shoulder and the butt of the gun with no discomfort. i have had this gun for a little over a year now and i havent found anything i dont like abt it. damn good shooter for the money
sureshot

Offline mutwagn

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »
Montanan, Thank you for the reply. You answered many questions I had.
 I agree, it will be tight getting enough elevation for the 350 yard target, but maybe a set of the Burris Signature Zee Rings, with the inserts set for max elevation before hand will help. Or if I want a lot of power, I remember where I made be able to trade a fellow out of one of the Tasco Custom shop 30 mm scopes
Thanks again, you just made my first barrel decission easy. Andy
"Suppose you were an idiot . . . . And suppose you were  member of Congress . . . . But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Offline Justice Trimble

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 02:06:54 PM »
:o Hey, does that Smith Ladder Sight actually fit on that BC barrel without any additional work to be done to it?   I'm trying to make up my mind about a different sight for the BC.  I was about to order one of the sights from H&R to replace the one on the gun but I started looking around to see what else was available first.  So, how about this Smith Sight?  Is worth looking into and if so, how much do those usually run? and where can I buy one?  
And thanks for all that great info on these threads.  This site is great!!

Offline Justice Trimble

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:13:39 PM »
OK....Hold the phone.....I think I just found the sight for it.  I looked it up on the Buffalo Arms web sight.  It's listed as a 1871 or Wesson and Harrington barrel sight.  It has a picture with two screws in it.  Is this the one?  Will it mount right on the barrel in the holes for the stock factory sight?  or do I have to have it drilled?  This sight looks nice.  A little pricey but looks real "period".  What do you guys think?

Offline Cottonwood

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 02:15:11 PM »
Montanan, Thank you for the reply. You answered many questions I had.
 I agree, it will be tight getting enough elevation for the 350 yard target, but maybe a set of the Burris Signature Zee Rings, with the inserts set for max elevation before hand will help. Or if I want a lot of power, I remember where I made be able to trade a fellow out of one of the Tasco Custom shop 30 mm scopes
Thanks again, you just made my first barrel decission easy. Andy

There are 3 Telescopic tube sights that I have never seen installed on a Buffalo Classic.  Each one has pricing draw-back But would make it so period correct and give you plenty of elivation to shoot 1,000 yards.

Brass Tube Telescopic Sight 18 1/2" for $235.00 at Dixie Gun Works.  This is by far the cheapest of the 3 offered to date.  It would take the mounts to be drilled and tapped into the barrel.

MVA Scope MVA's newest addition to our product line - A 3/4" 6 X parallax and focus adjustable scope with external windage and elevation adjustable mounts. Patterned after the Malcolm mount, but with a few variations. Windage adjustable to .001''; elevation adjustable to .001''. Front mount adjustable for mechanical zero and when used together, rear mount can adjust for wind changes quickly and accurately. Mounts will fit all 3/4" tube scopes with Pope-style rib. Comes with your choice of screw-on or dovetail blocks.  Price $975.00

RHO Telescopic Sights Achromatic lenses in a steel tube for the best light gathering and clarity. 6X magnification. Sealed tube for fog resistance. Long eye relief of 5". Rear mount has an elevation screw adjustable vernier scale and provides sufficient elevation to reach 1000 yards with 45-70 trajectory. Front mount has vernier markings to provide 20 minutes total windage.  Price $850.00

Buffalo Arms has the RHO and says they are for C. Sharps, Shiloh Sharps or Pedersoli Sharps.. But the truth is if you have a rear dovetail and a front dovetail, these can be fitted to a Buffalo Classic

Now just imagin this rifle that is a Shiloh Sharps a Buffalo Classic with one of these very period correct telescopic sights.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 02:58:07 PM »
I looked at period scopes, but the ones I saw all required a hex barrel for mounting.  You'd either have to mill a flat on the BC or rig up a custom mount.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Cottonwood

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:13 PM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
I looked at period scopes, but the ones I saw all required a hex barrel for mounting.  You'd either have to mill a flat on the BC or rig up a custom mount.

Ian

The one available at Dixie:

High quality brass tube scope, ¾” in diameter, 4X – 15mm objective lens, 3” eye relief. Fully coated optics for a sharp view. Brass screw caps on each end protects lenses. Includes unpolished, flat-bottomed brass mounts ( for octagon barrel), allows elevation adjustment at the rear with windage adjustment on front mount. Round barrels require the bottoms of the mounts to be made concave, or flat spots made on the barrel. Each mount requires (2) blind 6X48 standard American holes to be drilled and tapped into the barrel. Screws included.

MVA does not require hexigonal barrel but does require dove tail to be cut into the barrel in the back and front for mounting.

RHO's also mount into dovetails that have to be cut by a gunsmith.

No special fabrication on MVA or RHO telescopic tubes.  The brass tube by Dixie Gun Works, the mounts would have to be worked on, and nothing new fabricated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
FWIW, dovetails are easily cut in a barrel with a triangular file, have done several. Just takes patience and a little time. It's even easier if you have a dovetail jig, but never used one.

Offline mutwagn

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 05:16:16 PM »
Montanan, I thanks again for the info on the period scopes. I don't know if I would go that way, but dang what a slick rifle that would be.
 I have read several of the other posts about the 45-90/110 chambers, and  I may have to vacate this before I get started.  :eek:
 Between this website and Paul Mathews book....... and I already have three 45-70s, counting the 14" Contender, and Handi/BC will make 4 :shock:
 I don't know if I need any more addictions like this.
 I really would like to see the Franklin Classic by the way, by PM or email if it is possible.
 Thanks, Andy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 09:19:27 PM »
I really would like to see the Franklin Classic by the way...

The FrankenClassic is Deadeye47's, the top rifle in the pic...

That is what I call my FrankenClassic...Buffalo Classic barrel fitted to SB2 Receiver MontyCarlo stock w/ mercury damponer and a Mannlicher Forearm...Swift premier 3-9 Scope...yeah it's a Howitzer..

Offline mutwagn

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 01:03:19 AM »
Thank you for the picture.
 That's an interesting group there to be sure.
 I think the BC barrel is a go, but I'm not sure about the long forearm. It does look like it was pakaged that way though.
 Thanks again, Andy

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 03:32:39 PM »
Quote from: Justice Trimble
How about this Smith Sight?  Is worth looking into and if so, how much do those usually run? and where can I buy one?

Found it.  http://www.smithenterprise.com/1400_Ladder_Tang_Sights_Page.htm

I sent them an e-mail asking if it would fit without tapping new holes.  No reply yet.  it's pricey tho... $150

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Deadeye47

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 05:27:12 PM »
My FrankenClassic will shoot pretty good too...Got a different scope on it so sighted it in today and tried a new load in it.....while not spectacular it's not a yawner either...I'm still trying to find her best of the best....If I can manage to leave the BP alone I might be able to do that.... :lol: Or the BP may be the sweety...

The 223 Ultra is there already....just can't beat the 45 grain White box factory stuff.... :wink:

" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 05:38:21 PM »
Hey, great shootin Deadeye, now we know how ya got that handle!!!! :wink:

Offline Deadeye47

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 05:48:11 PM »
Thanks Quick but I'll fess up "a little"...the above groups were the best out of several but it was the last 45-70 group after all the scope adjusting...going to soot tomorrow also and going for 200 yards and then 300......the 223 was the first group I shot today and it was windy...I got really excited...my buddy was pattin me on the back too...unfortunately the following groups were not as good :cry:  :oops: ...I'm not publishing them on here... :-D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Cottonwood

BC 45-70 question???
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 02:16:05 AM »
:D  Good shootin  :D