Author Topic: Which scopes are American made  (Read 5900 times)

Offline BULLMASTIFF

• Trade Count: (0)
Which scopes are American made
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:31:43 PM »
I know Leupold's are, and some new Redfield's are.  But what others.  
First, I prefer to have an American made scope on my American made rifle.  I think it is just plain wrong to do otherwise.   There should be some things that are just not done, like putting a Chevy engine in a Ford, or listening to anything the french say.  

Second, I rate how I buy my products this way, USA first, Canada, Great Britian and Australia next, then any other country next, with China dead last.  I don't care if the product is only "assembled" in China, I don't want to support a communist country in any way, shape or form, so Mueller's are out.

So let the comments begin.  But let me know if I have other choices too.
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline Arkie-06

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:43:03 PM »
Believe  Ziess is  "assembled" in America. Also Burris is made in America From what i hear  even tho Leupold is made in America, a lot of the componets are imported from overseas. Burris also states in their catolog they do thier best to ensure that all components in are American made, however  i don't think there are any scopes out there that are 100% American made.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »
We're on the same page Bullmastif.....I made almost identical comments sometime ago........be careful though....seems lots of people on GB like the globalization thing........I wonder how long they'll like it when there is no middle class?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline BULLMASTIFF

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
I understand that even "American Made" products are not truly 100%, because lets face it, the quantity of manufacturing jobs just are not here any more, unfortunately.  I'm glad to hear that Burris is an American product.  I'm still not sure about Ziess.  I believe they were originally a austrian or german company (I'm a land surveyor and they make surveying products as well, and lately there have been alot of buying and selling of surveying/optics companies, and to be honest, I can't keep track anymore).  Anyway, thanks for the info.
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline cooperone

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:36:12 PM »
i think nightforce and us optics and maybe sightron are also u.s. made
jim

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 12:46:28 AM »
Not all Burris products are made in the USA.  Some are made in China.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 01:04:49 AM »
As far as optics go I don't think there are any "fully American made" ones out there. Leupold and Burris likely come closest. Most of both lines are mostly made in America. But the optics for both are Japanese I'm pretty sure. Dunno about other components but glass is pretty much universally NOT made in the US.

Also some products in both the Leupold and Burris lines are not made here at all but are imported.

I'd be surprised if anything in the Redfield line is American made. Like others I've heard rumors some (not all) of the Zeiss line is assembled in America. At one time by Leupold I think but don't bet the farm on that.

Sure I'd rather buy American made products too. But that's getting more and more difficult these days and quite frankly those still being made here are slipping so in quality it's just not always worth it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 01:42:30 AM »
I have read that Redfield, a division of Meade, either already has, or will very soon, manufacture scopes in the Atlanta Ga area.....I'll try to find the article.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:20:36 AM »
I'm doing my part. I buy Leupold.  :D  :-D  :grin:  :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »
Carl Zeiss is made in Germany. Unertl is the only one that comes to mind that could possibly be 100% American made. They supply the U S military with their only scope produced today. Foreign optics are too competetively priced for american manufactures to be producing goods completely in house. The lenses might come from Japan, the tubes and shades from China, etc. We can probably take credit for the cardboard boxes and assembly.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
The Zeiss Conquest line when it first came out was assembled in America from parts imported by Zeiss, but I'm not sure if that still holds true.
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline doorgunner

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 05:36:54 PM »
All Burris optics are made in the US, except the Fullfield II line, which are NOT made in China, but rather assembled in the Phillipines.  Sightron are also Pacific Rim manufactured.
"Walk Softly, and Carry a Large Caliber Bolt Gun!"

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 12:43:54 AM »
Not only the Fullfield II's, but the Landmark binoculars and spotting scopes are made in China.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline October

Sightron Made on Pacific Rim
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
Hello Everyone...I am new to the Greybeard Outdoors

The Sightron Scopes are not made on the Pacific Rim, they are made in Japan. As for Zeiss, they have three factories one in Germany, one in Hungary and one in the US. The Zeiss Conquests are made at the Hungrary and the US plant. As for Burris, the FullField II are made in the Phillapines. I apologize for my incorrect spelling. I already have a post on here concerning Sightron and no one responded....does anyone have any experience with these scopes? Also where is the New Nikon Buckmaster made at?

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »
Welcome aboard! :D I have a Japan built Sightron S1 3-9x40, it's ok, but not as good as a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 that I also have and they cost about the same. The SII Sightrons are considerably better from what I've read, FWIW. The Buckmasters are made in the Philippines, IIRC.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline doorgunner

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 06:45:21 PM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
Not only the Fullfield II's, but the Landmark binoculars and spotting scopes are made in China.

Well, something is seriously wrong then!  The CS person that I spoke with over the phone advised me that their Fullfield II line is manufactured in the Phillipines to their specifications.  China was never mentioned in the conversation.  One of us is getting some really bad information!
"Walk Softly, and Carry a Large Caliber Bolt Gun!"

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 03:58:49 AM »
There is an interesting article in Rifle magazine this month on this very topic.  The article is written by John Barrsness (author of Optics for the Hunter). Basically he says that if you think your American made scope has only American made parts in it, you need to think again. He says that many of the sub pieces of the scopes are made in all parts of the world then assembled in the USA - giving the impression that Made in America means of parts from America...........

Offline leupoldman

Re: Which scopes are American made
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:35 AM »
Having owned couple of Leupold scopes myself. I don't really care where they are made as long as the optics quality is great and price is right! One should call Leupold and ask if they have a single machine that polish the glass and do the optical coating. Then, you will know the difference between US Made versus US assembled.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:34 AM »
There is an interesting article in Rifle magazine this month on this very topic.  The article is written by John Barrsness (author of Optics for the Hunter). Basically he says that if you think your American made scope has only American made parts in it, you need to think again. He says that many of the sub pieces of the scopes are made in all parts of the world then assembled in the USA - giving the impression that Made in America means of parts from America...........

This is true. Leupolds are assembled from Chinese and Japanese parts.

How a U.S. Optics Manufacturer Monitors Its Asian Suppliers

Price, availability of supplies and the desire to enter Pacific Rim markets were the driving forces behind optic manufacturer Leupold & Steven’s expansion into Asia. The optical glass used in Leupold’s rifle scopes and binoculars is available mainly in Asia, with a few manufacturers in Germany and some extremely high quality (and expensive) manufacturers in the U.S.

The challenge, for Leupold & Stevens, was to become competitive in its line of ancillary products, like covers and lens filters. They began working with some Asian suppliers about five years ago “in a limited way,” says Peter Lemon, materials manager. That gave the company affordable optical glass for its award-winning products and access to local markets. Then, when Wal-Mart because a customer in 2003, “we dramatically increased the amount of goods we procured overseas,” and built upon that, adding a new, more affordable line of binoculars to its product mix, expanding relationships with existing suppliers and courting new ones. The result is an increase of 300 percent on gross revenues from the ancillary products Leupold sources overseas.

The optics market, Lemon explains, is a small niche industry with many companies vying for the same resources. Maintaining a wining mix of reliable suppliers goes beyond commercial interests to what the Chinese call guanxi—the mix of friendships and connections that is the very fabric of business throughout Asia.

“Our relationships with suppliers go beyond commercial relationships,” he says. That means flying there when a supplier opens a new facility, and getting to know suppliers’ likes, dislikes, families and even the pet canary. When associates visit the U.S., it means entertaining on a personal level with, perhaps, a fishing trip thrown in for fun. That level of personal interaction builds strong relationships based on more than mere commercial interests that, in turn, give Leupold the greatest potential for keeping its intellectual property safe and for expanding its business with reliable, reputable suppliers. The result is a win-win situation for both parties.

That said, there have been some bumps along the way. Generally speaking, “Asian suppliers tend to over-commit themselves,” Lemon says, with the extent of the over-commitment varying by country. To dissuade such over-enthusiasm, Leupold & Stevens has developed “aggressive agreements with penalties for failure to perform,” but, Lemon says, “they are balanced against the risk of souring an otherwise good relationship.”

The preferred solution, he says, is to offer management help. When launching a new series of range-finder scopes manufactured overseas, for example, the designs weren’t finished on time, he recalls. Leupold’s solution was to put a man on the ground for about three months, living and working alongside the supplier’s staff. The project got back on track.

Protecting intellectual property is another key issue that can be particularly frustrating in emerging economies because many don’t really understand how anyone can own an idea or a process and intellectual property protection sometimes only applies to certain categories of items and not others.

Like many companies with vital patents, Leupold & Stevens keeps its most valuable intellectual property in its own facilities. The result is that only portions of some new products are outsourced. Such care is only partial protection, however. In China, another company is using the Leupold name. The situation is being resolved in the Chinese courts, but the concepts of intellectual property and trade names are still evolving, and sometimes differ from those of Western nations. His understanding, Lemon says, is that, “Whoever files for the name first gets it. It’s a very difficult situation.”

Article from World Trade Magazine, Digital Edition
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »
Here's the supporting document for the previous post, bottom of the page.

Tim

http://www.worldtrademag.com/CDA/Articles/Feature_Article/5d36bdd039aae010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member