Author Topic: Greystar barrel pics  (Read 2802 times)

Offline RvanM

• Trade Count: (0)
Greystar barrel pics
« on: April 06, 2005, 08:47:33 AM »

Here are some pictures of the grey-star barrel I have been referring to in the carronade signal cannon help thread. I turned the barrel over for different views.  If you look closely there is a screw sticking out of the vent, the wall thickness there is around 11/16". The pipe in the bore is 1.25" od the bore of the cannon is 1.5". A picture is worth a thousand words, what do you think?

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
Did I post the pictures right?  Are you getting all three?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »
Only the one looking into the muzzle with the pipe sticking out at an angle.

By the way, the liner must be bent as the pipe would be sticking out the side if it went straight back at that angle.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:50:20 PM »
How far do you have that pipe slid into the bore? If it's in far enough to mirror the axis of the bore, then it's a good bet that the sleeve is severely out of line with the tube. Very common with "cast in place" liners.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
[/img]

This is the second one.

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 01:07:37 PM »

This is the third. Sorry for the learning curve.[/img] :? BTW the pipe goes all the way to the breech.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »
Three are NO polite words that I know to describe anything about the barrel nor the manufacturer of it.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 04:16:04 PM »
I have sent a E-mail to Grey-star asking that they would reconsider and exchange this barrel for another. I'll keep you informed...

Offline GGaskill

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 04:35:12 PM »
You might consider sending them a paper letter instead of an email.  Paper carries more weight.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
send the pictures along with it.No bussiness would want those going around to show off their quality work.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »
I hope you gave them a link to this topic.  The discussion herein speaks very clearly to the 'quality' of their product and to their corporate attitude towards customers.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 04:53:42 PM »
I as moderator of the board will send Gray-Star a curtesy notice about this thread with a link.

An email they can ignore. Even a letter can be ignored. But when it is posted in a public forum like this for all to see that cannot be ignored.

I know last year when I pulled Gray-Star off the resource list over not offering seamless tube they took great exception to that action.  They also now offer seamless tubing.

RvanM  the barrel you are displaying does it have seamless tubing? Did Gray-Star offer you seamless tubing?

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »
The liner appears to be seamless. Am I asking to much of Grey-star to replace this barrel?

Offline Double D

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »
You are not asking to much for a replacement barrel.  It is very obviously defective.

In the Interest of good public relations they should replace it and pay all the freight involved.

On the other hand were they to do such a thing I would think it would be appropriate for you to go to the two posts you have made on this barrel and tell all how they made it right.

Even a good company makes a mistake once in a while.  What makes them a great company is how they accept responsibility and correct the problem.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 05:35:29 PM »
The liner appears to be seamless. Am I asking to much of Grey-star to replace this barrel?

Absolutely not!  This tube is just not right (I'm being nice here).  You should keep on them to replace it.  And they should not even think twice about replacing something like this. It would be in their best interest.

Also, if you do end up sending them a letter be sure to send it registered mail. It doesn't mean much but it is a step to cover your butt if you need to make this a legal thing. Hopefully you won't.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »
Being a person who builds cannons. I would be embarrased to let anything like that go out my shop door! Safe or not. Even as a lawn ornament! Get them to replace it!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 06:05:56 PM »
Good Grief!!!  :eek:   I just noticed where the touch hole is now located. The photo was a bit dark in that area or, maybe I'm a bit slow. Anyway, you need to get them to replace that tube.

P.S.-I highlighted the area where the touch hole is for us visually impaired...

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 06:06:38 PM »
RvanN, Casting's are done for the econmitices, much cheaper than machine.  At its best the quality is not their in the casting compared to maching.  Although a good casting is generally sufficient for the purpose.
We all do make mistakes or over look things.  I would be ashamed to have a barrel like the one in the picture with my name attached as the manufacture.  
If you shoot this barrel for distance your going to hit into the next county, ether the county on your lift or the one, on your right.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »
Quote from: RvanM
....   Am I asking to much of Grey-star to replace this barrel?

I am proud to work for a company that takes pride in it's products.  We will be late sometimes on a delivery because we know that shipping a bad product is unforgiveable.

The rule of thumb is that if it costs us a dollar to repair something that went bad in our product it will cost ten bucks for our customer to fix the problem with their assembly.  It rolls down hill.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 01:04:47 AM »
Yes that is where the vent hole is. Let me explain. When the vent was drilled in the proper place it missed the bore. So to be sure that that the bore was hit, we redrilled from that angle. It was at that point that I became extremely uncomforable with this barrel. After a couple of e-mails and a phone call insisting that the barrel was safe, it was fired. Kind of gives you the hebe geebees don't it?

Offline Mocrow

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 03:20:06 AM »
Rvan for what ever reason never let me know anything about this until he airs it here. All QA work is done at the foundry and most are shipped straight from their. I am a little taken back that it was the liner had shifted. All he had to do was ask for a replacement???? This should have been called on as soon as he found this out. He should have never fired it or thought he had to live with it???

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »
Rvan said (on a seperate thread): I want to make it clear that I am not Grey-Star bashing. I purchased the barrel on July 27, 2004. I notified Grey-Star by e-mail of the problem, They replied that the barrel is safe. I replied that I would like a replacement barrel, I then received a phone call that they would rather not do that and that the barrel was safe. In fact I was told "The liner itself was so strong that it could be fired safely without the cast metal around it." We redrilled the vent so it would enter the breech and have fired it several times from a safe distance without bursting. Wether or not it's safe I do not know. When I want to use the barrel (4th of July, birthdays, new years, weddings, etc.) i'm not comfortable. Large groups of people and questional barrels not a good combination in my book. The barrel is lined. Would any of you feel safe about fire this cannon? Any way I can test the safety of this barrel?

Offline Mocrow

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2005, 11:16:17 AM »
John, Thanks for the update. At the time there were no pics and it was not explained it was anything like what we are now talking about. I think the problem has been corrected.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 01:39:48 PM »
Quote from: Mocrow
John, Thanks for the update. At the time there were no pics and it was not explained it was anything like what we are now talking about. I think the problem has been corrected.

Although a little cryptic, this has the sound of someone taking responsibility and it sounds like it may be a communications issue being resolved.  One has to admire that.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
Tim sent me a private E-mail this morning offering to exchange the barrel. I'll be sending it along with copies of our e-mail correspondence pertaining to the liner. Thank you everybody for your comments and advice as I am new to the cannon hobby.  I'll keep you informed of the outcome....

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 05:20:35 AM »
I received my new barrel from greystar yesterday  :-D  The  liner seems to be much more in line with the barrel. I am going to drill the vent in the next couple of days and then try to post pictures. Greystar made good on their promise to replace the barrel and even let me keep the old one for my troubles :)  It will make for a nice decoration somewhere. Thanks again everybody for helping me get this resolved.

Offline Double D

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 06:27:03 AM »
I would fill the bore of the bad one with cement.

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 06:48:24 AM »
I would do that as well, just to make sure it'll never be fired again.

Offline GGaskill

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »
Have you stuck the piece of pipe down the new bore to check its alignment?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline RvanM

Greystar barrel pics
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 06:07:41 AM »
Old one was filled with concrete yesterday. Yes, I stuck a piece of pipe down the bore of the new one and it looks strait. I haven't had a chance to drill the vent yet, Probably do so this weekend. What size should the vent be?