Author Topic: Pistol?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline 6-24x42

• Trade Count: (0)
Pistol?
« on: April 29, 2005, 07:52:26 AM »
Does NEF make a break action pistol? :?
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:06:16 AM »
Don't we wish.  That has been brought up before, about every 3-4 months it seems.  I don't think they want to, but not sure.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 6-24x42

Pistol?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 09:55:44 AM »
If they made an affordable break action .22 pistol I think I would buy two. There is something very alluring about them. Somebody should send this to NEF along with that other thread about changes we would like to see.
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Pistol?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:04:40 AM »
I believe they could make a very inexpensive 22 single shot pistol.
I would buy one in a heart beat. :toast:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Pistol?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 05:22:51 AM »
Since federal law prohibits the making of a handgun from a rifle it would require NEF to come up with a totally new design frame in order to make a handgun. To use the current frame even modified would be a violation of federal law. So I'd not look for them to tool up and design a new frame just to try to compete in the single shot handgun market.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Pistol?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 05:26:43 AM »
True. I wonder how much "change: in design it would take in order to regestier it under a pistol frame?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Pistol?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 06:03:46 AM »
It would have to have enough difference in either dimensions or function or both to clearly be NEW.

Long ago when Remington wanted to come out with a bolt action single shot pistol they did so with the XP-100 and then after a year or so of producing it came out with the Model 600 rifle using same action. They had to do it in that order to have both.

I honestly don't know what changes would be required but for the small market in single shot handguns already wrapped up by the current makers I don't see a company like Marlin/NEF investing in the tooling and design work needed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Pistol?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 07:38:21 AM »
Sorry :oops:
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Pistols
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 07:49:13 AM »
When this question was posted before, a comment was that NEF can't handle what they have going now.
 Boy, sure would be nice, a smaller frame, stainless, 17 HM2, scope maybe, what a squirrel rig!!! Probably priced nice, too! Or a ....!!!
 Oh well, dream on.                             Woodbutcher

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Pistol?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »
NBC: Is this the type of job you had in mind? I saw this unit for sale on the net probably three years ago. Fell in love with the idea. Did not get a chance to get it (Way too high, IIRC.), but felt that a "short rifle" like this in 357 with a red dot would be fun. I have the rifle, but I would want to have nice wood like used here. The barrel would be cut/recrowned at 16.5 inches, then the stock cut to give the needed overall length to keep the Feds happy. Or a "short  20 gauge " might be fun too. The Kimber Kamper Firearms used to sell short 20s like this back in the 70s. I have not been able to find another.
Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Pistol?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 10:47:29 AM »
Hacksaw? Who said anything about a hacksaw? (See revised post above)
Actually, that's a nice mod for a youngster. I took my kids up to the lake today to let my 9 year old son see if he can handle this Winchester 12 gauge combat shotgun, and it's way too big for him but he put about 25 rounds through it and didn't flinch. THAT's MY BOY!!! :grin:

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Pistol?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 11:10:44 AM »
Hacksaw?? Who mentioned a hacksaw?  Actually, neither the above one or the Kimber Kamper was ever intended to be placed against the shoulder. In fact, the Kamper had a plastic butt stock with an imprinted warning not to shoot from shoulder. And as my wife found out the hard way, never let recoil drive it into your hip! In the country they were real popular for shooting snakes at the gates. I have a feeling that a lot of pheasants got sluiced right out of the ranchers truck window by those little Kampers (Of couse, not from the road, that being illegal) as they drove thru the fields. Either say, I was sorry to see them gone when I came back from overseas. They were "handy".
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline wudjalike2no

Pistol?
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 09:28:01 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
It would have to have enough difference in either dimensions or function or both to clearly be NEW

what about the bushmaster carbon-15 pistols? they are the same recievers

Offline Deadeye47

Pistol?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »
Need a compact rifle....Survivor stocked 307 Winchester...17" barrel counting the brake.....breaks down pretty compact.. :wink:

" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Pistol?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 09:54:38 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty neat rifle.  :shock:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Pistol?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 09:57:53 AM »
That is a cool pis.....er......rifle!! Where's the rest of it!!!! :-D  :-D  :-D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline roostertails

Pistol?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 10:42:51 AM »
You can switch the Thompson center guns back and forth using the same frame, you can do it to the NEF also, how bout one in 223.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Pistol?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 11:47:55 AM »
That image while it appears to be manipulated in a graphics program rather than being of a real gun is none the less illegal for US ownernship. This thread has now moved into the realm of totally illegal activities and is being locked. I will NOT have discussions of illegal activities here. You have been given fair warning.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125