Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54034 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« on: May 21, 2005, 01:52:53 PM »
I know this isn't  one of those monster cannons here. But it sure would put a smile on anyones face. This is a protoype firecracker launcher. The charge is 10 grains of FFG and intead of ball. a blackcat was the payload. Im a crackshot or should I say a lucky shot because I hit the intended target which is a small wood pile.  Ive been playing with it all day and most of my shots were high. I don't think Ive ever had so much fun with firecrackers. The link to the MPEG is here http://www.pix05.com/f/bpfc4151.mpeg

Im going to put a poll to see if anybody is interested if I were to put these into production.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
Ive also decided to post a picture of the cannon

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »
That is the coolest pest-control device (to rid the woodpile of chipmonks) that I've ever seen!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 07:08:23 AM »
That reminds me of the little cannons we kids used to make from aircraft cable turnbuckles. One afternoon we laid siege to my Sisters wood doll house with a battery of some 12 guns. BOY! Did I catch Hell.

Offline wudjalike2no

Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »
where did you get it? or how did you make it?

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:34:16 PM »
Wudjalike2no
    That is a prototype, Of a cannon my partner and I are planning to produce This model is known as the M-BPFC, There is also a Breechloader being produced Model will be the M-FC That model is designed only for firecracker usage only. The prototype and R&D stages passed with flying colors. The R&D was fun :) I'm hoping the first batch should be available in about 2 weeks. We are striving for high quality, handmade, US made products at a reasonable affordable price. Ill keep everybody posted on the progress.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:44:17 PM »
Rays89 -

Again, cool cannon.  

When it does become a product, you will want to contact Graybeard about the opportunities for advertizing it on GBO.  There are some rules the board has about the forum being strictly non-commercial (in fairness to the paying advertizers and sponsors).
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 01:07:26 AM »
Tim
  does it count if my partnter is already a paying sponsor Brooks-usa , Im just the one with the big mouth who gets to play with these things

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 01:19:13 AM »
Quote from: rays89
Tim
  does it count if my partnter is already a paying sponsor Brooks-usa , Im just the one with the big mouth who gets to play with these things

All of a sudden life got lots more simple!  I'm happy.  Keep Graybeard happy (it's his board) and our other sponsor (Neff Repair and Machine) and we're cool!  (Doesn't look to me like you're in direct competition.)

Again, cool shootin' iron.  Motivated me to make my first fire-cracker CANNON (had made ONE fire-cracker MORTAR last month).

It's a funny feeling, now, thinking of golf-ball caliber mortars as 'big-bore'.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 02:43:47 PM »
I wouldn't dare fire a golfball in my backyard  It would be bouncing off the trees like a pinball. And I probably would wind up popping myself in the head........not wise, :shock:  so not done.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 10:18:44 AM »
rays89,

Brooks-USA is offering a .69 caliber 1/12th scale 24 pounder brass cannon on GunBroker.com. I didn't find it on the Brooks-USA web site.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32462572

Do you know if this is going to be a regularly offered product on his website?

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:46:16 AM »
John
  Thats a sweet Barrel, It looks like the Irishman is holding out on me. As for it being a Regular barrel on his website its hard to tell sometimes he makes a limited run on barrels (I missed a few)., And once there gone there gone. I'm pretty broke right now with this project and about 1000 other projects going. or I would snatch it up.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Firecracker Cannon (mini)
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
Sold the sample run of firecracker cannon barrels that Ray has been talking about.  

We have built 200+ black powder cannon barrels in the last couple of years, and became a sponsor on GBO because of the quality of the question and answers on this forum.  

Ray talked me into building these small brass barrels... he builds the carriages. The feedback so far has prompted us into building more. (We are having too much fun with them!) Our initial offering was for barrel only.  Now we are ready to ship complete units. We have committed to ship current orders by 6.11 and will be ready to ship the next run 6.18. We started a waiting list for this batch--which is to help us plan delivery in time for the 4th of July holiday.

Watch for new carriage designs (various types of wood--Ray's on it!) in the next few days.

Be safe                   The Irishman

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »
irishman -

We're looking forward to them!

(Consider making it easy for us when you put the adds in the classifieds and put in a link here.)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
Irishman,

Those little cannon are sweet and I bet they are a lot of fun. Will you be updating your web site with prices soon?

Also, that Cohorn mortar really looked nice. What are it's dimensions and will you be producing it?
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 06:46:35 PM »
Enclosed is a shot of 5 "field" grade cannon That will be available soon. The link to the Brook-usa site is http://brooks-usa.com/index.html 4 are M-FC cannon and one M-BPFC 3 are painted flat black, and the other 2 are stained 1 is lightly stained Ebony and the other is Jobean. Unfortunetly due to production time I beleive the majority of the cannon will be available in Barrel form pre july 4th. While Ill do the best I can to produce more complete cannon prior to that time. The field grade cannon is made of pine and might be a little rough around the edges but will reasonably priced and alot of fun. there was going to be a 6th field cannon made in this run but, Ive decided to start on a "Deluxe" version made of black Walnut If all goes well there will be a very limited number available pre 4th but no guarrentees. There is also a premire version in the planning stages which will probably be available post 4th July made of Mahogany wood. prices of these cannon are still pending.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Coehorn
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 06:56:48 PM »
Cav
   I have one of those Coehorn mortars, I did a quick measurement and can give you the approx dimensions Barrel length 8 inches long, outside diameter is 4 inches, Bore diameter is 1.292  weight rather heavy. These dimensions are aprroximate. As for prices and availabilty your going to have to e-mail Michael the "irishman" on his website http://brooks-usa.com/index.html Thats going to also include prices of the "micro cannon.  

Offline VTDW

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 10:04:41 AM »
I would certainly like to order a couple of cannon from the site:

http://brooks-usa.com/index.html

But cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

Help?  pm or e-mail me, either one.

Tnx,

Dave
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard Cannon Fun
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 10:55:29 AM »
VTDW-

We are in the process of assembling material and putting together costs for various carriage materials.  Rays89 would like to offer from a "basic field grade" to more premium grade carriages.  This information will be on our website by June 11.  We have a contact info form on the limited edition cannon page at www.brooks-usa.com or you can email us at jsb@brooks-usa.com.  Thanks!  Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 01:04:03 PM »
Just a quick update Brooks-Usa will have five field cannon and one Deluxe available very soon. They are in transit to Mich. as we speak. The Field cannon are a little on the rough side. But are guarrenteed to be alot of fun. Plus Ive aquired a nice amount of black walnut, Im broke now  :(  but I do like the apearence of brass and walnut better myself. so there should be more deluxe versions than anticipated.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 05:14:02 AM »
There are some delays on the production. The Irishman is making improvements on the M-FC making it easier loading, even though I thought it loaded fine myself. While Ive been waiting, I decided to build a "Brooks-USA" prototype Micro cannon.  

While its to small to launch a firecracker I decided to see what happens if I use a ball from a roman candle While the footage isn't to clear its a small download the link to the MPEG is here  http://www.pix05.com/f/nightshot5187.mpeg

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 12:04:36 PM »
That sure is a cute li'l devil. I gotta go check Guinness to see if they have a listing for "The worlds smallest fireable cannon". I'll bet you're getting close.   :)

Hey CW... New contest!!!!    :-D  :-D
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 04:49:58 PM »
I figure Ill show the progress we have so far.  Each of these cannon are hand made Barrel and Carraige that is why production is limited. The front row are M-FC Deluxe versions and the rear row row are M-FC Field versions. All they need are to be sanded, stained, assembled, And Sent back to Brooks-Usa. These cannon should be available shortly.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »
I do have a pricing on the M-Series cannon both the M-FC and the M-BPFC pricing is as follows The field version which is made of pine and is a little rough around the edges will be listing for $39.99, The Deluxe version which is made of walnut will be listing for $49.99 I beleive these prices are a value considering each cannon is Handmade in the USA and guarentteed to be alot of fun for the buck. There is a "premire version" in the planning unfortunetly I don't beleive these will be available until after the 4th of July, There are also other versions on the drawing board IE: A micro mortar, But all of this is in the planning stages. stay tuned. There are plenty of suprises coming from Brooks-Usa

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 11:25:49 AM »
I know this post might not make any sense to many people. <And at the present moment it doesnt make sense to me. I posted this awhile ago so Im going edit it.  It still won't make sense to many, But I know right now Im having great pleasure driving the Irishman crazy with a "Project X" which is in transit. once he receives it. Ill take the marbles out of my mouth and make a post people will understand.

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 05:30:49 AM »
Quote from: rays89
There are some delays on the production. The Irishman is making improvements on the M-FC making it easier loading, even though I thought it loaded fine myself. While Ive been waiting, I decided to build a "Brooks-USA" prototype Micro cannon.  

While its to small to launch a firecracker I decided to see what happens if I use a ball from a roman candle While the footage isn't to clear its a small download the link to the MPEG is here  http://www.pix05.com/f/nightshot5187.mpeg

What sized roman candles did you use? Any brand or madel name? While I'm at it - any favorite types or brands of firecrackers? The firework tents are going up here in Colorado and I'll have to stock up for a year or do the long drive to Wyoming.

Steve

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »
Steve
  It was just a genric Roman candle. All tests were done with plain old Blackcat firecrackers. If you want more info. on fireworks there is a group on Yahoo that deals with just fireworks, sign onto yahoo hit groups look up fireworks and join that group. That group would be the best bet on to find out more on fireworks.
                                                    Ray

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »
Its not enough cannon for a front line warship of 100+, But looking at these gives me a fantasy of making a pirate ship and have the cannon fired by radio control, Then bring the ship to the pond in Central park NYC.
 And send the other sail boats down to Davy Jonse's locker arrrg Im a pirate causing havoc on the 7 seas,
    But I think that wouldn't be to appreciated.    So there being shipped to the Irishman of Brooks-Usa I beleive this is going to be the last availble pre 4th shipment before the 4th. They consist of 22 M-BPFC and 6 M-FC
  Maybe after the 4th Ill build the front line ship. Does anybody have any bail money? Seriously post 4th Brook-Usa should have an ample supply plus new models of micro cannon
                                           Ray

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Firecracker Cannon
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 06:13:19 AM »
They're finally ready! Just wanted to let everyone know our new firecracker cannon are available--and they are sweet little minis!

Rays89 has mounted a limited number of our M-FC and M-BPFC firecracker cannon on his field and deluxe carriages.  We have them and they are ready to ship TODAY!

Our barrels are turned of solid brass, as are the wheels.  The deluxe version carriage is made of walnut and the field carriage is made of pine (a little more rustic).  All mounting hardware is brass--no steel to rust! SEE PICTURES IN PREVIOUS POSTS.

M-FC Firecracker Cannon is 4"OAL, barrel is 15/16.  Bore is designed to fire a plain ole' black cat firecracker.  These barrels are designed and built for firecracker only.   Cost is 39.95 for field, 49.95 for deluxe version, plus shipping.

M-BPFC Firecracker Launcher Cannon OAL is 4", barrel diameter 3/4", barrel length 3 3/4".  Bore is designed to fire standard (black cat) firecracker, propelled by 10 grains of ffg black powder.  (Safety instructions included.)

You can order by pm here or from www.brooks-usa.com.  We accept Paypal, check or money order.  Shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail unless otherwise specified by you.  We will get back to you with confirmation and to answer any questions.  

THAT WAS FUN!  Now we are playing catch up on our 6 and 12" barrels...
Thank you!  Irishman

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 08:42:15 AM »
irishman,

I like your little dictator mortars too. Are any of these in stock? I'm assuming they have a plain bore without (a (tiny) powder chamber. Are they vented?