Author Topic: Best caliber Handi rifle for Daughter ?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline carp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Best caliber Handi rifle for Daughter ?
« on: August 01, 2005, 05:35:24 AM »
What caliber Handi rifle who you recommend for my ten year old daughter to use for whitetail deer and hogs? Trying to keep recoil as low as possible. I don't want to scare her away from hunting. Thanks for any info or ideas.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 05:47:32 AM »
I'd suggest a laminated, heavy barrel 243 with weight in the stock to keep down recoil.  You'd have to carry it but all that weight would dampen recoil a lot.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 06:02:42 AM »
There are several recent threads on this subject that will help you...here's one of em.....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=67587

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 06:09:13 AM »
a 44 mag. with laminated stocks and a limbsaver recoil pad. She won't be shooting very far so the 44 mag is all you need and it would do better on hogs than a 243. IMHO.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 06:29:33 AM »
Are the laminated stocks a little heavier?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 06:32:03 AM »
Welcome :D

That's a bit of a delima...you want something that will readily kill deer and hogs...and for a small child to shoot...correct...? Well...you will have trade offs..no matter which caliber you choose...the 243 might be a good one..provided you are using a premium bullet like a Nosler Partition for hogs...and then again...if you read about what they guys are using on hogs to reliably anchor them...they are having the best luck with calibers much larger than the 243...I'm not saying it won't work...I know of folks who use them...but shot placement is critical....and she will have to shoot a-lot to become proficient at it...killing whitetail isn't any problem for it...nor would a 223 with the right ammo...that's what they use here in Missouri for the state youth hunts...along with the 243...but hogs aren't deer..and they usually don't bleed out like a deer does...and the premium factory loads can get real expensive...so you would have to find one of the cheaper loads that shoots to the same P.O.I as the Nosler load..

Another possibility you might want to consider is to start reloading...and to develope some very light start up loads for her..that way you could go with one of the larger calibers...also...Remington has their Managed Recoil loads for the 270 and 30-06 that do just this...the bullet choice offered isn't    the greatest for hogs but would work great on whitetail..both ways allows her to work into shooting the heavier loads...when she learns how to accept the recoil

In any case...to keep from scaring her off...no matter which caliber you go with...put some lead in the stock ...add a good recoil pad...and a soft cheek piece for her...you don't want to get her shoulder or cheeks bruised any....and also...invest in some quality ear protection...not just the $.50 foam ear plugs at Walley World...and some good safety glasses...start her down the hunting road properly outfitted for her safety...as I know you will...

I wish you luck for her...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Stocks
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 06:42:16 AM »
My laminate stocks are weight than any others I have,
 I think 243 is good to start with, do not full charge loads to start with.
 Just My opinion. Marv.

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
rifle for daughter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »
I would suggest .357 magnum, .44 magnum, or a lightly loaded .30-30.  Recoil is very light in all these.  Perhaps a heavy bullet in the pistol calibers and a 125 to 150 grain for the .30-30.  I shoot a 265 grain flat point cast bullet in my marlin 1894.  There's a lot to be said for kinetic energy with heave bullets at low velocity.

Good luck with your choice.

Take care and God bless.

Tom

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »
I would tend to lean towards the .243 with lighter loads. I will be in the same boat in another year with my daughter. Best of luck.

Norse

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
Carp,

I loaded up some 125 gr spitzer in a 30-30 from 21-27gr of h4895 & let my 8yr old son work his way up. The 27gr were doing 2000f/s. Good enough for deer & hogs with a neck shot

He grouped about 2.5 inches at 60 yrds & I will keep him to 75 for a shot if the deer show up :?
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 02:40:29 PM »
Carp, I don't disagree with anyone so far, but one more to consider is the .357 Magnum reamed out to .357 Max. The great advantage is that you can start her shooting with .38 Specials and go up the ladder. That's how I started my boy. The .38 Special in a rifle has hardly more noise and recoil than a .22. The Max with 180 or 200 grain bullets comes close to the .35 Rem.

You could do the same with .44 Special and .44 Mag, but that ammo is horribly expensive unless you reload.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 03:04:10 PM »
I think the key lies in the bullet. If you choose a light caliber like the .243, go for the top of the line premium bullets like the Barnes TSX or Swift A-frame in a 85 gr. weight. If you go for the heavier caliber 30/30 choose a light for caliber bullet in a 120gr. weight, but again of a premium quality. The .44 mag. is another good selection and in normal weight bullets will recoil similar to the 30/30. Possibly the best choice in bullet for the .44 mag. in this case is to go for a hard cast bullet in the 185-200gr. weight with as wide of a metplat area as possible. Wish her luck for me, on her first hunt!
Don

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »
7.62x39 powerful enough to hunt with ammo is extra cheap and almost no recoil

Offline JPH45

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »
Yeah, the 357 is the way to go. Corbon offers a 180 grain 357 Magnum loading that won't beat the snot out of her. Most likely, the chamber will accept factory 360 DW ammo (a premium loading offered by Dan Wesson) I don't know if DW offers factory loaded 357 Maximum ammo, but if you reload or know a reloader even full house 180-200 grian loads in the 357 Maximum are quite user friendly.

I plan on using my 357 to introduce my grandsons to shooting, but I've a few years yet to wait (Oldest is 3 at present)

The 44 can be equally user friendly, CCI Blazer ammo is cheap enough and mid range powered. It was some of the first ammo I ran through my 44 and while I never got a shot off with it at game, I've no doubt it would do the job. But full house loadings in the 44 are not the most user friendly, in fact I prefer 30-30 to fullhouse 44 cal 240 grainers. The heavies...270-300 grains are more user friendly but do require reloading.

The 243 is a nice rifle....for an adult. It has lots of muzzle blast and lots of muzzle rise which can be disquiteing to a young shooter....my daughter never took to it, my wife liked it well enough, but wouldn't hunt after making a less than perfect shot once. The animal was recovered but her ideas/ideals about killing  game and all about how it's supposed to go never did. I'd argue for the 30-30 over a 243 especially if hog is on the schedule
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 05:30:26 PM »
After reading these posts and re-thinking, I'd have to reconsider and suggest either the 357 loaded with heavy bullets (or a 357 MAX) and a close shot (75yds or less) or a 44 Mag.  

JPH had a very good point and at least if the hit is marginal, the 44 will be more likely to put the animal down faster.  A lot is to be said for a big heavy bullet in game.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 05:38:17 PM »
FWIW, Bullseye Guns sells Dan Wesson 357 Maxi ammo as well as some others like 445 Supermag, no 360 DW listed though!

http://www.bullseyeguns.com/danammo.asp

Reed's, a GBO sponsor also sell 357 Max ammo.

http://www.reedsammo.com/

Tim

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 02:40:27 AM »
357  is a good way to go with heaver bullets, I did'nt really think of this one, have one but only 158gr hp ammo for it at the moment. May load up some 180's xtp's & see how it does. My son shot this well with the 158's but wanted a BIG bullet (ie case) so we went to the 30-30(Iwanted one as well :grin: ) My 357 has open fire sights on it maybe a scope & 180's why not!!

Good luck Carp I got some more ideas here too :)
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 03:09:17 AM »
357 is a good basis, even better for a reloader.

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 05:16:37 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! Well, now I've gotta come to some kind of conclusion :) I do have a .357 pistol so that may be nice having two guns chambered for the same round. I don't reload, but I have a friend who does so that opens a few possibilities. Keep the info. coming! That's what is so great about this forum. Lots of different ideas. Can you buy a Handi rifle with the laminated stocks or is this an add-on? Do these stocks add a little more weight, come in different configurations(Monte Carlo, etc.) or do they just look good?

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 06:20:31 AM »
The laminated stocks only come on the ultras unless you find some special run handi.....so of the 357 mags had straight grip laminates on them and that is what i have on my 44 mag.

The only only come in the monte carlo or the straight grip i think. The do add alittle more weight to the gun. If you add the weight to the stock then the limbsaver recoil pad you would have nothing to worry about......you'll prolly have to carry the gun but thats no big deal. You can order them from h&r. I'm sure of the prices so Quick will prolly chime in and fill you in on the prices :wink: .

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 06:23:38 AM »
I went with a 7MM-08 REM for my 12 year old daughter.

I load a 120 grain Spitzer at about 2900 fps.  She's never complained about recoil or noise.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 07:27:16 AM »
I went to the H&R website and noticed the .357 wasn't listed. Do you know if there are any still available or do I need to start looking around the shops to see if somebody still has one?

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 08:46:14 AM »
the 357 mags aren't made as complete rifles anymore but there is still a few accessory barrels left at the factory. After my ultracomps come in i send it back to get one. there is a store in GA that has a few handis in 357mag brand new still in the box.....check this link
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=63677

I don't know how close the place is to you but you should check it out.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »
I took a 150lb doe last year with my .357 Max useing 180gr LBT style cast bullet, in my limited experiance, It was about perfect. Took out both lungs and the liver on its way out the other side, No meat damage and she ran almost 30 yards before pillling up. I was happy enough with the Max's performance that I am gonna use the Magnum this year instead of the Max, because I believe thats all you need. Plus there just fun to shoot, Get some cheap lead .38s and kill lots of cans, Good fun. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the store, Varminter. It's in Athens, which is a pretty good haul from here. I found three local stores listed as carriers. I'll check them first and if I don't have any luck......road trip.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
I hear ya on the road trip. I found a place in kentucky thats called Whittakers. as soom as i turn 18 in oct. me and a friend are gonna take a road trip up there. I'm afraid that when i get up there i won't want to come back to TN. I'l prolly come back with quite a few handis.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »
Whitakers?......... did someone say Whitakers??? I love that place and I've never been there!!! Shooters at RFC say they are the best to deal with, specially for mail order firearms!! I sure wish there was a store here like that!! :cry:

Tim

http://www.whittakerguns.com/home.htm

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 01:51:48 PM »
I would reccommend the handi rifle in 30/30 and if your using factory ammo try winchester silvertips or federal nosler partitions, lots of guys like the 150 grain bullet but  i myself would only use the 170 grain bullets

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 04:03:11 PM »
Carp
Did you see the 357 MAX barrel on ebay?  Just type in "nef barrel" in the search bar.

I wrote the guy and he just wasn't using it cause he has a 375 Win and a 45-70.

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »
I found a Handi rifle locally in .357. It's got synthetic stocks. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow. It's new in the box. After reading all of your posts, Ole Dad might look into aquiring a few assorted barrels :) Thus the addiction starts. :-D