Author Topic: Official Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - GGaskill  (Read 4886 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Official Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - GGaskill
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:45:09 PM »
Since my Another Golf Ball Mortar Contest entry thread doesn't seem to qualify ( 8) ) as an official entry, here is my official entry.  Due to the construction or completion of two other mortars, two "handgonnes" and a 24 pounder during the contest period (not to mention preparing and selling a house), I have not totally completed this piece but it is shootable now.   

[img width= height=]http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/gbcoehorn.jpg[/img]

The upper part of the mount was made from the supplied wood (the bottom thickener was made from a scrap to preserve the remaining thick part of the supplied piece.)  The main tube and breech plug were made from the supplied metal.  The rings were made from a separately acquired piece of 2.25" diameter mild steel and the trunnion was made from 3/4" diameter mild steel.  The tube pieces are all shrink fitted together and the trunnion is silicon bronze brazed to the breech plug.  The shrink fitting is not an airtight fit so I applied some Loctite 290 to the tube/breech plug joint inside and down the touch hole to seal the joints.

The cap squares are scraps of 16 gauge hot rolled sheet, the vertical screws are 6-32 x 2" countersunk about 3/8" so they stick out enough to pass through the cap squares.  Right now I am using ordinary hex nuts but will make some square ones shortly.  Handles are due shortly too and additional pix (including at least one with a powder can) will be posted when they are added.  Plan follows:

[img width= height=]http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/GolfBallCoehornIII.gif[/img]

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Official Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - GGaskill
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 12:16:42 AM »
Quote from: GGaskill
Since my http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59162" target="_blank">Another Golf Ball Mortar Contest entry thread doesn't seem to qualify ( 8) ) as an official entry, here is my official entry. ....  

George - don't feel alone, I got busted too.  When I finish the drawings I'll re-post.  Of course mine is in the quick-and-dirty league.

THE REST OF YOU GUYS GET WITH IT AND POST SOMETHING!  We want to see them!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Official Golf ball Mortar Contest Entry - G
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:37:46 AM »
Great Job George!!!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 01:40:31 AM »
Nice job George.

Be sure to post your match results into your post, don't make it a separate post with the results.  Be sure you have them up by the 15th.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:23:06 AM »
The rules were posted in February.

The contest will run until September 1, 2005. You can enter at any time. September 1, 2005 you must post drawings, pictures and scores from a shooting match. Each person will open their own topic for their own mortar. This will make it easier on dial up users to view each mortar. The topics will be open to the board for discussion. Your drawing must provide all dimensions suitable for others to make their own copy of your mortar. The drawing can be on the side of an old cardboard box and done with a crayon as long as some one could use the drawing to make their own gun. The mortar must be golf ball boreGolf ball mortar contest

Seemed pretty clear to me...of course I wrote them.

We did extend the deadline to post until Septemeber 15th.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:42 AM »
8)  was just trying to save some space on the board.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill