Author Topic: Gimmick? or some possible benefit?????  (Read 1850 times)

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Gimmick? or some possible benefit?????
« on: September 11, 2005, 11:49:29 AM »
Hey guys, I've been seeing these in some hunting mags and even some TV commercials.  Anybody use one on a Handi yet? Does anybody think that there would be any real benefit or just another gimmick for the sportsmen??

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/barrelderes.aspx
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 11:58:14 AM »
From what i remember i think Mac had one on his vanguard. IIRC it showed improvement while it was on the barrel.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:41:55 PM »
It's just a tuner that works similar to a BOSS and will dampen barrel harmonics. Various forms of this idea have been used for many years with varying success, it will help some, others it won't....but it's worth the nominal $12- $15 cost to have one to try, that's for sure as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=68937&highlight=deresonator
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ThudThumper

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »
Lol, that is ugly isn't it...

The theory seems sound, but if a 280 is shooting a 3" group at 100yds (like in their ad) I think either the gun is fouled or the man behind it is--either way a rubber plug isn't gonna help...lol...

I'll have to dust off a couple engineering books and see just how much this could possibly dampen the harmonics of a barrel...it might just be worth a try.
When the whole world is crashing down around me, atleast I'll have my SKS.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 09:33:01 PM »
I don't think it's that bad..

It worked for my Weatherby...and I really don't have a problem shooting any rifle I pick up..and no...my guns aren't fouled are dirty..

This first group lower right is with Weatherby Win 270 ammo 150 grain  my aim point is the black 2" paste on target dot..the gun is sighted 3" high at 100 yards..and the deresonator isn't on it...if you enlarge the picture...and look middle center at 2" high and a little rifht...is the nest group I fired with the deresonator on...had I not rushed the shot...it would have beeen 3 in the same hole..

I had even better  luck with Federal 130 grain sp as well and have the pics to prove the thing worked...at least for my Weatherby... first 5 shot  group on the top right is without the deresonator...on the left is with it on...

Is it worth a try...sure is...and when my late arriving Birthday present shows up...I'll be trying it on my new 25-06 just to see...

Don't like the looks...oh well...I sure do like how it shrinks groups...and it something I can deal with...

I haven't  had much need to use this on my Handi's...everyone I have shot is under MOA as it is...but I will try it and see what it does for the 25-06...here's the original thread of mine...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59342&highlight=deresonator

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline NONYA

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:22:10 AM »
Im not impressed looks like all it did if anything is change the POI,not to ded center or where u said it was sighted in to.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 02:06:07 AM »
So if your a lousy shot .........it makes you better?  I don`t think so.
    Maybe in competitive shooting it has a place, where everbody wants an egde.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 04:07:59 AM »
LOL and poke fun if you want - but experienced shooters know that tuning barrel harmonics can - and has - shown accuracy improvements.  Smallbore shooters have used these types of addons for many years, and the BOSS is a similar tuning tool.  Some BR shooters will even cut a piece off their barrel to see if that changes the harmonics enough to improve grouping.  Kinda hard to go back to the original length though....

If the rifle accuracy problem is caused by poor/erratic barrel harmonics, then some barrel tuners can change the group size.  I don't know if this particular one will, but it has the potential to do so.  If the rifle shoots poorly due to a bad chamber or bore, bad bedding, a bad trigger, bad ammo, or a bad rifleman, then the item won't help at all.   :D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 05:32:43 AM »
Quote from: NONYA
Im not impressed looks like all it did if anything is change the POI,not to ded center or where u said it was sighted in to.

I said I was sighted 3" high...and my point of hold was the target dot.Not impressed...hmmm...let's see....it shrinks the first group from  a almost 2" spread with verticle stringing down to almost a 1 hole group..ok...same for the 2nd group group...yup..I pulled a couple shots..but over all it shrank the group size..but that's ok...your still not impressed...I understand...

So if your a lousy shot .........it makes you better? I don`t think so.
Maybe in competitive shooting it has a place, where everbody wants an egde.

First off...I'm not a lousy shot...Second...I never said if you were it would make you better at anything...

The question was asked about this product..and I showed what it did for me and a paticular rifle I tried it on...if you don't like the looks of it...or don't care to use it fine...don't use it..but until you actually try it...you won't know if it will work on your set up or not...Enough people have had some good improvements...and the cost for the unit is minor as compared to some other improvements ....

Mac

Offline MT4XFore

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 06:36:55 AM »
Yup, agree with everything Mac said.  It wont help the nut at the end of the stock one bit, but if the shooter does his part, it WILL help with groups.  It probably wont make a worn out barrel shoot any better, but it certainly will improve groups in a rifle that needs just a little help.  I can't relate it with a Handi since I dont own one, but on bolt rifles, it does the job.  Now, as for looks, well, I have to agree with the others there, it does look kinda like a toliet plunger doesn't it?  My "friends" call mine my "c**k ring".  Oh well, it helps my Rem. sporter 22-250 shoot one hole groups and it sure makes hitting them "dogs" a lot easier. :lol:
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 07:07:15 AM »
Im not impressed because my Rem 700 bdl shoots groups just as good  or better than your "improved" groups at 100 yards and i dont have a big chunk of s*** wrapped around my barrel.If thats the best group you can shoot in your first groups you need to change somthing besides your barrel harmonics,I am assuming you were shooting from a bench. :wink:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 08:10:26 AM »
Im not impressed because my Rem 700 bdl shoots groups just as good  or better than your "improved" groups at 100 yards and i dont have a big chunk of s*** wrapped around my barrel.If thats the best group you can shoot in your first groups you need to change somthing besides your barrel harmonics,I am assuming you were shooting from a bench. :wink:

Who gives a tinkers durn what your Remington will shoot without it..It has absolutly nothing to do with this subject unless you actually tried it on it.....What part of this don't you understand...it shrank the group size with that factory ammo...plain and simple...Change something else... you say...guess what ...I did...and it worked...Are you having a problem with the fact that I took some otherwise ill performing factory ammo in that rifle...added the deresonator and made it shoot good... that would seem to me to be what yor problem is?Sure it isn't pretty...but it's not big of a distraction being next to the stock...and who really cares anyhow...I've seen a-lot ugly stocks,camoflage,crappy paint jobs...ect...ect on different rifles...are you trying to have a beauty contest with them...or make them shoot accurately?...Are you trying to say your rifle shoots every factory load perfectly?...Give me a break... :roll: I  do agree...it doesn't look  the greatest being on there...but no-matter what you say...or how you think it looks... it worked and worked well with those loads...in that rifle...and that is the whole point of this thread...period.

Mac

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 10:34:43 AM »
I didn't see any improvement when i put it on my 6mm rem. so i took it off...but im not saying it doesn't work...it jsut didn't work for me...could be a whole different story on somebody elses gun..
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 01:02:49 PM »
y'all are killing me :) .maybe it does work but just can't have a anul device on my rifle.
pete

Offline NONYA

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 02:05:18 PM »
LOL TX,I dont shoot any factory ammo in my rifles,my point is that if you have a rifle that shoots awful groups maybe you should look into your,ammo,scope,trigger,ect,ect before you strap a big chunk of rubber to it and expect it to repair a POS rifle. :wink:

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
:)  :) ditto I reload all my ammo also and it would be a cold day before I duct taped a butt plug on one of my barrels :grin:
pete

Offline NONYA

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »
LOL maybe we could put like six of them in a row down the barrel and then we could shoot sub MIA groups at 10000 yards!!! :D

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »
i think youre missing the point. he is saying that once you have your rifle dialed in as good as it will get, this may help you improve past that point.

too bad you guys are too busy thinking of jokes to use your brains to comprehend the actual point being made.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
too bad you take things so seriously that you cant see the humor in those posts,most of us have rifles that shoot well enough we dont need to try gimics to improve thier accyracy,unless you are a competition shooter the possible improvment this toilet plunger MAY give you is not worth the hassle of having it on the rifle.Most modern rifles will shoot sub mia groups out of the box with the proper ammo,if they arnt somthing is wrong,and fixing it with a gimic shouldnt be your first attempt at fixing it.Maybe we could wrap the barrel in some of that pipe insulation and secure it with electrical tape,Ill bet taht would do wonders!! :wink:

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 06:17:07 PM »
i guess i saw the humor but i thought he was genuinely tryin to help and you guys were bein jerks, i guess i read it wrong, my mistake,  :D  sorry guys. just tryin to back up someone thought was bein picked on.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 06:22:24 PM »
too bad you take things so seriously that you cant see the humor in those posts,most of us have rifles that shoot well enough we dont need to try gimics to improve thier accyracy,unless you are a competition shooter the possible improvment this toilet plunger MAY give you is not worth the hassle of having it on the rifle.Most modern rifles will shoot sub mia groups out of the box with the proper ammo,if they arnt somthing is wrong,and fixing it with a gimic shouldnt be your first attempt at fixing it.Maybe we could wrap the barrel in some of that pipe insulation and secure it with electrical tape,Ill bet taht would do wonders!! :wink:

FWIW... There's absolutly nothing wrong with the accuracy of my Weatherby. It is a sub-moa rifle with various different factory and handloads .I hadn't shot these paticular loads thru it yet and had just put on a new stock and Timney trigger...which is why I chose to use them. ...Since you want to deviate from the  intent of the topic...let me say this...Why don't both of you guys post what's relavent to the topic...mattparliament asked if they worked or not...since neither of you have used them and cannot offer up any valid information.. you have nothing worth while saying on the subject...and since it seem to me that you want to hi-jack the thread for your own amusement I suggest it ends...now. Simple enough for you.

Mac

Offline NONYA

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 12:13:58 AM »
sorry to offend you,didnt know we were in NAZI germany where we are not allowed our own opinion,or one that varys from the elite.Maybe you should rephrase the title of your thread,I thought you were asking for opinions not telling us what ours should be. :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 06:05:12 AM »
Your intitled to your opinion..and you stated it..but you went beyond just giving it..to the point of calling the product names,and putting it down without ever trying it,to trying to dissuade someone from trying it without ever using the item yourself,even though it has shown that it does work,and from what others have said...but of course your opinion matters more than everyone elses
unless you are a competition shooter the possible improvment this toilet plunger MAY give you is not worth the hassle of having it on the rifle

You also tried to imply that either that something was wrong with the rifle or ammo...but if you had followed the link to my original thread...you would have seen that the rifle had a new stock and Timney trigger...both of which were fitted and installed perfectly on  it..Oh...1 other thing... you don't shoot factory ammo in your rifle...well guess what...many here do shoot factory ammo...and they don't reload yet,and some don't want to reload for one reason or another..so..they may be even more interested in hearing about factory ammo with it ..There are many rifles that don't shoot accurately...yes...some of them may be considered P.O.S. and some of them will only improve so much without  making large difficult or expensive changes to it....and if this little piece of rubber can help this rifle shoot to an acceptable degree of accuracy for that individual...then that is all that matters ..
LOL TX,I dont shoot any factory ammo in my rifles,my point is that if you have a rifle that shoots awful groups maybe you should look into your,ammo,scope,trigger,ect,ect before you strap a big chunk of rubber to it and expect it to repair a POS rifle[/u[. Wink  

Now...giving your opinion...no problem..continuing putting down a product that you have never used when folks are trying to give their honest evaluations of it doesn't wash either....No...it's not NAZI Germany if it were...your posts would have been deleted...but this isn't A.R.'s site either...we try to be helpful here when folks ask for it...and they have come to expect honest answers when they ask..or be pointed to the right place to get those answers,they don't expect to be ridiculed about what they ask about here.nor do they expect their threads to be hi-jacked for someones personal amusement.Constructive criticism is one thing,and is accepted and more often than not helpfull..this is what sets us apart from all the rest of the forums.If you have a problem with the way things are being done here...then by all means feel free to take it up with the management...  

Mac

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 08:27:39 AM »
Well they may work and thats great, I won't cut down the product, honestly though I don't like the looks of it.  My rifles shoot good and to make some shoot better I do have the boss system on them. Just my choice.

Norse

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 08:40:25 AM »
Norseman112:

That's fine...there are a-lot of folks who for one reason or another wouldn't use it but there are also folks that don't have the time or money to send a rifle to a smith, that are getting so-so groups, that wouldn't mind have their groups tighten up a bit either. No one is saying here it will work on every rifle with every load..but..the for the cost of the item..the benefits can be worth trying it ...if needed,and if it works for them...so much the better...

Mac

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »
YAY Mac!!
 :agree:  :agree:  :agree:
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline NONYA

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »
careful outlaw dont call it names!!lol Sorry I didnt agree with your opinion and I have a very hard time believing you would see a noticable difference on a gun that you claim already shoots sub mia groups,if it does how could you see an improvment at 100 yards?Do you think everyone should run out and buy one and then find out if it really does what you claim?My opinion is that most rifles on the market wouldnt see a noticble improvment in thier groups with a rubber ring on the barrel,I dont see any competition shooters using them.And by the way I have no problem with you or your opinion of the product,dont try to make it sound like I do,obviously my attempts at humor were misunderstood and I apologize. :roll:

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »
I put one on my .223 ultra varmint. didn't notice a difference at 100 yards. But a big difference at 200. went from 2.5 in. groups to 1.5 in. and sometimes smaller groups. And I use WWB. I don't notice it through my scope and it doesn't look bad on the gun.

Offline ajshoots

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 03:11:45 PM »
Is it one size fits all or do they have different sizes for different barrel O.D.? Wouldn't mind trying one, they are ugly but if I could gain alittle then good! Have tried pressure points on 700 REM sporters with some success, but that is very time consuming pulling the stock on and off to move a pressure pad around. Did those who have used the sims move it around till you found the "sweet spot" or just put it where the directions said?

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »
one size fits all. But they are very hard to get on a bull barrel. I used some oil to slide it on. The oil went away and the deresonater doesn't move. Directions say to put it as close to the forend as possible. Good luck.