Author Topic: .17 Remington Range Report  (Read 576 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
.17 Remington Range Report
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:44:55 AM »
Went to the range today with 40 rounds of hand loads.  Used 2525, 3031, 5895 and Varget powder with 20gr V-Max bullets.  Things went well I think, I did stick 3 cases, but they were very lightly stuck and easily popped out with a cleaning rod, so a little more work on the extractor is needed.  Groups were OK, 3031 did the best with an inch horizontal and about a half inch vertical.  Other powder did larger groups, up to about 3 inches horizontal and an inch vertical.  I don't know why the horizontal stringing, I will have to work on that.  Considering this may be the only 17 Remington Handi I guess I am on my own figuring it out.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:20:55 PM »
Trotterlg

good shooting for a proto - type , but hopefully not the only one  :)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:43:50 PM »
I think I have the ejector problem beat now, I built a little shim that rides on the pin that the ejector spring rides on, I drilled a hole in it so the pin goes through it and a little tit sticking out of it that goes inside the spring to hold it in place, now the ejector has about the same tension as my .223 has, and it ejects brass out 3 feet.  I found some junk on one side of the rear of the barrel, it looked like it could be some blue locktight, guess I could have gotten some on it when I bedded the scope mount, this could have been causing the horizontal stringing?  I also lapped the front hinge point a little more so the pin hits more evenly now.  Probably the start of a very long development process, but it is fun.  I had no cratered or pierced primers, and they wern't even too flat, so I will step thing up a notch or two next trip.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.