Author Topic: target pictures (pic added tight group)  (Read 2017 times)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
target pictures (pic added tight group)
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:12:34 AM »
i've been asked a few times to post a pic of what my new toys are doing.

this is my best group (3 shots) at 200 yards with my 204 ruger . i'm shooting a max load of bl-c2 under a 40 grain v-max in a winchester case.

i tried all day today to find my blasted target that i shot back before deer season (when i stole the scope off my 243 ) but i couldn't find it. so i went out today and tried to do it again. i got close but my other target was better.

i think the biggest reason i get groups like this that all my guns have been hand lapped (real good) they all shoot handloads (i can not give enough credit to the forster bench rest dies  all round are the same) and i shoot all of them free recoil. by free recoil i mean resting the gun tight in the bags (or in a bipod with a bag in the back) and the only thing i touch on the gun when firing it is the trigger (a really light trigger is vital to me).
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:57:53 AM »
yu know mitchell there one problem i see with  shooting  groups like that ???? that is when ur out in the field doin some  varmint control and u miss one that you should have hit easily only one thing you can do and that is kick yur own butt, cause it aint the gun  hahahahahh nice groups man !!!! if yur like me this ohio winter cant get over to soon ,

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 10:28:33 AM »
Quote from: shaner
yu know mitchell there one problem i see with  shooting  groups like that ???? that is when ur out in the field doin some  varmint control and u miss one that you should have hit easily only one thing you can do and that is kick yur own butt, cause it aint the gun  hahahahahh nice groups man !!!! if yur like me this ohio winter cant get over to soon ,

LOL  Soooo true!
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline mitchell

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:33:18 AM »
thanks guys but i'm sure i can find some reason why i miss (scope are always breaking)

check this out . screw finding that target from before deer season i just went out and shot this and it is my best ever !!!!

its a 3 shot group from my 243 24 inch bull barrel. shooting a 55 CT bullet under 45.2 grains of varget.

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:44 AM »
Perhaps it took some settling in for the remount of the scope.
Very nice!!
no x now!

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »
Absolutely amazing groups mitchell!!! :eek:

Show those guys with 2000$ guns that a 200$ gun can do the same :-D I have done it before at the range with both my 223 and my 25-06 NEFs. Generally I will get questions as to what brand they are and where you can purchase one :-D  I tell them NEF and Walmart.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 11:16:48 AM »
Mitchell that is some very nice groups you have there :grin:  Way to go and thanks for sharing.

John

Offline Ed in AL

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »
Quote from: mitchell
shooting a 55 CT bullet under 45.2 grains of varget.

That must be my problem. I have been putting the bullet in last.  :-D  Good shooting Mitchell.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:42:36 PM »
crap you guys know my secret now :o  :o . i did that the last time i told a load and i think it was duce who caught me. oh well now you guys know how to shoot small groups.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:04:40 PM »
Awesome mitchell;  :eek:  :shock:

To say the least.

Dennis  :D

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 02:19:50 PM »
Mitchell,can I send ya my 223 barrel? It won't shoot QUITE that good    :-D  :-D

3" @100yds......ok,now I need the mailing address?? :grin:

GREAT GROUPS,man :agree:  :agree:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 02:33:23 PM »
sure bladerunner but you'll have to play my hourly rate and give me a $100 allowance for bullets and powder (i have brass and dies) .  

just kiddin'

thanks fellas' i must say i was quite shocked when i saw that group . i knew the gun could do it (the target i lost was in the low 2's) but i didn't quite think i could shoot like that.

BTW Mac thanks for selling that 243 (no you can't have it back) :D

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »
1 trip with the 3 old master's and your groups have improved alot. 2 or 3 more trips and shooting with G.B. ,Marv and I will have those groups cut down to some really nice groups. :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 02:54:35 PM »
Congratulations Mitchell!!! I am proud of you buddy, those are some awesome groups. Don't you just love shooting a Handi next to some guy with that $2.000.00 setup that was mentioned and then walking down to the target butts with him while discussing the difference in his gun and your "Poor boy Special" as our fine little H&R Handi's were described by another on this site...Merry Christmas!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mitchell

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »
digger ,i thought that was going to come from marv. i don't know how you beat him to it. just think in a years or two i just might be able to hit somthing.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 03:14:06 PM »
Mitchell,there's probably some sort of law of physics that says if ya tighten the group up much more than that,they'll be SPREADING    :-D  :-D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 05:42:57 PM »
I'll throw my hand in there and give respect as well, great shooting Mitchell. :toast:
Though I have to admit, the free recoil style is hard to get used too.
-Aaron

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
shooting
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »
Mitchell, I think you need to include you dad for instruction.
 Great groups Mitchell. Marv.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 07:51:58 PM »
Darn nice gr.. oh Heck....AWWWWWWSOOOOOOME groups there mitchell..I think you believe me now...don't you :wink: ...and no...I really don't want it back,It's where it's supposed to be now...I'm glad my advice is paying off for you...it makes me feel good to see it working for you as well as it is...and you will get use to the free recoil method...it just takes more time to do so...If more folks used quality equipment for their reloading and put more effort into prepping the barrels like I and others do...well...let's just say it could be a very interesting postal match 4-sure :)  :)  :)

Mac

PS....it's about durn time you posted these pictures... :D
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
Re: target pictures (pic added tight group)
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 08:14:02 AM »
Quote from: mitchell

i think the biggest reason i get groups like this that all my guns have been hand lapped (real good) they all shoot handloads (i can not give enough credit to the forster bench rest dies  all round are the same) and i shoot all of them free recoil. by free recoil i mean resting the gun tight in the bags (or in a bipod with a bag in the back) and the only thing i touch on the gun when firing it is the trigger (a really light trigger is vital to me).

I see you are imploring BR shooting technics. However;  I have read on several threads here on NEF Centerfire how it is important to follow through on your trigger pull on the NEF triggers or consistent primer ignition is not possible, or something to that end.(never made sense to me)
 What you're saying I don't doubt, but it does put some question into the validity of "completely compressing the trigger."
 Are you fully compressing Mitch? If not then it proves what I suspected about the trigger follow-through theory. Consistency is the key for any shooter. If you do everything the same shot after shot then the groups will be consistent.
no x now!

Offline mitchell

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 06:12:31 AM »
yes mag i do fallow through . when i shoot free recoil i put my thumb behind the trigger and use my index finger to pull the trigger. after the rifle fires i look through the scope see the bullet whole then let off the trigger and i hear a click (bar falling back down) i'm not saying this is the best way its just what i do every time to make sure i'm consistent.