Author Topic: Come on Warf out with hog hunt  (Read 989 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Come on Warf out with hog hunt
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »
Warf just won a hog hunt down here in Okla. and he took home 3 hogs. The kicker was that he had to stab them with a knife,and did'nt get to shoot anything.( it may have been a H/R knife) So come on Warf,and tell the rest of the story.  :D  :D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline warf73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:04:09 PM »
We are back from the Oklahoma hog hunt we won. We had a great time with them folks down there. Made use feel welcome the whole time we there.

The hunt started just a little before 9am we cut loose the dogs (6 or 7 can’t remember) and away went threw the woods. It really wasn’t all that long and we had walked maybe 1 mile at most and the dogs started baying. We weren’t that far behind the dog’s maybe 100 yards. As we drew closer there was sounds that I will never forget the rest of my life. It sounded like 100 hog oinking snapping there teeth with a mix of dogs baying. Man my adrenaline was really starting to pump and we weren’t at the hogs or even seen one yet.

As we got close Rick told the boys to hit a tree as there were to many hogs to keep track of and watch the boys at the same time so up a tree they went. (Really was the safest place for them)  
As we got really close to these hog the sound was so intense words can’t describe  (you can only experience this sound) the notice level these hogs were making. Now I’m right behind Rick (right on his shirt tail) as we hit the trees were the hogs are at, he pulls out his 45LC and I pull out my knife. Kenny was to our with a strike dog and has hit 357Mag out now.  Please note I’m starting to feel gun envy as both of these guys have pistols and I’m stands here a knife that has a 6 ½” blade.

We bust threw these trees and they are 30-40 hogs of all sizes, from hogs that probly went 350lbs - 30lbs pigs.
And there stand in front of Rick, Kenny and I were 4 hogs that weren’t very happy to see us.
The hog on the left charges in at use and Rick lets her have it between the eyes with the 45LC, she rarers back falls to her jaws repositions her feet and runs off to our left. At the same time Kenny has one coming at him he cuts loose the dog, the hog veers to the right of the dog and Kenny drills the hogs in side with the 357Mag.
Something that should be mentioned is that both these hogs were shot at less than 5 yards charging at us.

Rick runs up on another hog that’s broke down by one dog, he grabs the rear leg and pulls on it. He tells me to go in and stab this hogs, I stepped in and went to work on the hog.  

Then we went to the next hog which was small hog around 40lbs that the strike dog had by the nose I took care of this one in the same manner as the other but this time I had had the leg of the hog.

We got the last hog it was a sow that had all the dogs hanging off of her, just like the first hog Rick went in and grabbed a back leg and I went in and went to work on her. This sow was big around 300lbs range she took a few more stabs than the first 2 but I got it done.

The adrenal pump is indescribable; you have to experience it to get a complete handle of the situation.

After it was all said and done we had killed 4 hogs out right in just under 10mins maybe less. We were heading back to the trucks to get the ATV and another truck at just a little after 930am.

It was a great hunt no dogs were hurt or lost and no one was hurt, and we had hogs down.

I can say this is the most exciting hunt I’ve been on in my live.  I’ve hunted a lot of critters in my short hunting carrier, but this is the first animal I’ve hunted that could really ruin my day if it had the chance, and there were over 40 them animals that would probly have loved to ruin anyone of ours days that morning.  

My son and I will never forget this hunt the rest of our lives and I know for sure he will never forget his first hog kill which if all goes well will happen Dec. 16, 06. We are heading back there for his birthday so he can get his first hog kill, and talk about pumped he is already talking about it and it’s still a long ways off.

I want to thank all you guys down there in Durant for a hunt and an experience that will be with me for the rest of life.

Thanks again Rick.

A link to Ricks web site: http://www.havehogdogswilltravel.com/4436.html

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:25:56 AM »
Where do I sign up? :eek:

What is the name of the outfit you went with.  I want to look them up.

RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Sounds great!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:24:49 AM »
Envious Yes. More than usually happy to read this story. Glad you had such fun and it was safe with on one getting hurt. I am pumped and many miles away from the action.

Looks like I must go South in Alabama and search for someone to go Hog hunting with on my own.

Tomorrow starts Turkey season. I have my gun set and ready to travel well before day break. God Bless and keep having safe fun.

Don, & Joshua Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag.

:)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
I guess the Okla. hogs are extra tough to get up and run after being shot in the head with a 45 longcolt.And some of  you guys laugh at me for shooting them with a 300 Wby. :-D  :-D  :-D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »
Sounds like a fun time, sounded like you guys had fun to. Good job !!  :D

John

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
And then there is the guy on the Hand Loading for Rifles and Handguns forum who wants to shoot them with a .224.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 05:45:20 PM »
warf,
you have a lot more guts than me!!!
a knife on a 300lb pig, wow.
i agree, there are few hunting opportunities more exciting than feral pig with dogs. can't describe it.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 09:23:05 PM »
I've add a link to Ricks web site.

I've add pics also

Warf
your ass tomorrow."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »
Warf, you didn't make this video, did ya??? :)  :)  :)

http://www.k9freeconnect.com/video/7B2790A4-B081-4F52-8068-10EF3870DE89.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 07:39:10 PM »
Was going to but our camera man was ran up a tree buy a hog.

Warf
your ass tomorrow."

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 10:02:36 PM »
good on you warf thats how i used to get them with my dogs when i was yunger is a real adrenalin rush its a better high than shooting them you now whot i mean cos you have done it you cant explain the feeling you get when you stick a pig. wait till you get a big boar then you will realy no wot a major  adrenalin rush is.good pics
bernie :D
if its feral its in peril