Author Topic: 8 Gauge Project barrel  (Read 3505 times)

Offline freddo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 8 Gauge Project barrel
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »
Mie too

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
Why does life get so Hectic sometimes? Anyway I got back into my shop and here are some pictures of the breech door insalled. I ran into a couple of unforseen problems with my design. They were easilly fixed in a few strokes of a file. On the bottom left of the door you can see where I filed so the door would open. I knew about this. On the bottom left you can see where I had to file the barrel. This is so the door would open far enough to extract the blank shell. I'm thinking of a new door design on future models. The barrel won't have the built in stop, it will just rest on the pins.

More to follow soon!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline freddo

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Powder Keg.
                   Of course I don' know what you have in mind for your new door design but you will need some kind of stop to prevent the door from swinging right around and blocking your breech.I like what you have done so far It looks as if it was meant to be.Have you considered a quadrant shaped cut out on the barrel to give you the swinging clearance that you need? It would provide a nice snug seat for the breech door when open.
                    Please don't be offended by my suggestion.Your project is so interesting I could'nt resist.As an Architect I know how irritating suggestions about ones design can sometimes be.
                    Do keep us informed of your progress.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
It looks like it is seated on the bottom shelf right now.  Can't open any farther.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2006, 01:41:29 AM »
Freddo,

Thanks for your input. I think it's great to hear other ways to build stuff. It might solve a problem on this project or one 3 years from now. This is why I love the internet, the sharing of ideas.

G,
The door opens just enough to extract the shell.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline myronw

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I met Wes today and picked up the barrel...  You'd have to see it in real life to appreciate the fantastic job he did on it.  Of course, to really appreciate it, you'd have to see the mess he started with.  I bought the barrel as an unfinished project on eBay and then proceeded to do more harm than good working on it myself and having an old friend do some work on it.  Wes was able to get rid of the damage the original owner, me and my friend all did to it and make it look like it should have to begin with.

If any of you doubt for a minute that he's a miracle worker, guess again!!!!

Thanks a million Wes,

Myron

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 01:16:24 AM »
Myronw -

Thanks for the report on the miracle worker.  We'd heard he was covered up with work.  Did he look healthy?  In good spirits?  Or is his work load going to kill him?  Inquiring minds want to know!   :D ;D ::)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
Hey Myron,  can you please post few pictures please?

Ed

Offline myronw

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm happy to report that Wes looks pretty good!  He has been working hard on the Norwegian rotary snow plows, though.  He told me that the Norwegians look upon their snow fighting equipment like firemen here look on their fire trucks, so they've had to do a lot of one-off work on these to make them look nicer.  They're also huge compared to the ones our state uses.

I'll try to get some pictures posted after I build a carriage for the eight gauge.

Myron