Author Topic: remington spr 308  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Bert416

• Trade Count: (0)
remington spr 308
« on: June 03, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »
I have been thinking of getting a remington spr in a 308 cal.  Does anyone have one or any helpful info on this.  Right now I just hunt deer, but would like to hunt elk some day.

Offline dmangelo

Re: remington spr 308
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:42:04 AM »
I own a SPR18 in 308. After bore sighting, it took over thirty round to get the rifle  sighted at the range. By setiing the wind adjustment as far to the right as it would go. I took it to a gunsmith and he seems to think the factory scope base is off. Also the first time I got caught in the rain the finish on the stock ran off with the rain water( pretty wood) calls to the remington importer have gained nothing

dmangelo

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »
I wouldnt get a rem spartin they are maid over seas and are a very very cheap maid gun get u a H&R 308 and then u could get more barrels with this rifle u cant do this with a rossi or a spartin i have a rem spartin shot gun that is very cheap maid , and on a h&r it wouldnt take u 30 rounds to sight in and the scope, base is on the gun very well and stright
1 shot 1 kill

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:58:31 AM »
             I picked up a Remington Spartan 308 This last fall just before deer season. I didnt have time to put a scope on it, but got it to hit pretty good with the iron sights.Iam very happy with the way it shoots and handles.Towards the end of deer season I shot a nice spike buck with it.The buck went down right where he stood.Ive owned acouple H&RS And presently have a Rossi in .243 that I also got a deer with(doe)this last season.I liked them all but to me the Spartan is my favorite.I plan on putting a scope on it this year . Iam toying with the idea of getting another one in .270 We shall see! :P

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:58 AM »
From what demangelo says just don't let it get wet or the finish will run off (?). Thats to bad because I have seen one and it was pretty and had nice looking wood although it was almost twice as expensive as the American made H&R's which you can easily get addittional barrels for and have a great warranty. I have a few H&R's and like them but the russian made Spartans do look pretty at first glance. I was concerned though about the very short integral scope rail. I guess if you hunt in the desert where it always stays dry you might be all set, as long as you never wanted addittional barrels or never needed warranty or service work done to it. But the .223 I saw was sure pretty with that faux twisted barrel....<><.... ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »
Last week I took my spartan and stripped the stock and forearm of the old stain and varnish. cleaned it up with fine steel wool and restained it with some mahogony stain that I had.The original finish had some bloches and the area next to the butt plate didnt have a finish at all.I didnt have any true oil to put on it, so I used bore butter from my black powder possibles. It worked great!Now the stock and forearm look the way it should . The wood has a real nice grain to it and the little work I did with it grought it out.Hey im having fun. :P

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
I don't know what the sell for in other parts of the country but I priced one this week a 308 for $215.00. I know two people who have em in 223's and are very happy with em. Just for giggles I am thinking of getting one in a 7.62x39 when I get out of this dang wheel chair. I don't see any difference in made in Russa and made in China like NEF's auto and pump guns.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
MSP Ret;

I beg to differ on the SPR18 to be twice as much as a H&R.
I bought my SPR for $218.00 in .223 and stepbrother bought his for the same price and his is a 308.
The key to the scope rail working is having the EXACT rings and mount needed, 11mm from Leupold.
And I found that my .223 likes the 52 gr. bullets.
It is my belief that where you seen that SPR he had really jacked the price up.

Dennis

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
Those prices make them seem downright reasonable and if they were that much arond here I would have bought the one I saw. It was a real beauty with some of the finest looking wood I have seen in a long time and a fine bluing job. It was however well over $300 if I recall correctly. Do they perhaps have a fancy model? I remember thinking I would be afraid to take such a pretty gun out in the woods to hunt with. I may call them tomorrow to check the price. Are these the Spartans we are talking about and I am thinking about? The barrel on the .223 looks as if it is twisted but is not as I understand it if these are the same guns....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
   My spr18 cost me a total $220.00 from a local gun shop.It was the blued version.At the time I bought mine the fancier nickle plated action version was around $250.00.Ive noticed this year that all firearms have gone up in price, including the spartans.My buddy has just ordered one in .223 from the same gun dealer for $250.00. A $30.00 jump from last fall.Another dealer was going to charge him $270.00 for the same gun.The fancier ones are getting closer to $300.00 but I think if you shop around you can still get a good deal.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
Oh, by the way;

The reason for the twisted barrel is that they are a true hammer forged barrel.
Once you put the proper rings, mount on the rifle, it is truly a beautiful rifle with that scope on it. I do have to say that w/ a scope on the rifle it looks better than without it.
My intentions are that if I sell my H&R Ultra Varmit, I will buy another SPR18.
What caliber...I'm not sure, maybe a 7.62X39 like hellacatcher mentioned.
They are a pleasure to shoot.

Dennis  ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 03:06:46 AM »
Now that you mention it the reciever on the .223 I saw was a silver color. Also De41mag and other here, how do you properly mount a scope on that short scope rail and what type of rings fit it? Can you use standard american centerfire weaver style rings? I am getting more and more interested in these but would like to have an idea of how to overcome some of what I had seen as problems with the one I saw and with the shortcomings I have read about here. Redoing the stock finish is not a big problem but what about the scope mounting? Can you have additional barrels fitted to them? If I got the .223 I would like to get at least one and perhaps 2 or 3 shotgun barrels fitted to it (do they offer shotguns or shotgun barrels and if so do they offer them with screw in choke tubes?) and another barrel in 45/70. Thanks....<><.... :)

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:49 AM »
     I have a spr100 in 20 ga. It is the fancy one with nickel plated reciever and magnaported barrel. This gun I bought almost 2 years ago for just a little over $200.00. I also have a Spartan 12 ga. over/under that I bought for under $300.00 from Cabela's about the same time. Nothing wrong with wanting extra barrels for a gun that can be fitted with them. I personally prefer individaul guns. To me each one has its own personallity. Besides whole guns look better in the gun cabinet than a bunch of barrels. This is just my own opinion. There is something fasinating about these Spartans! :P

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 07:42:13 AM »
I agree, and as usual with russian made guns some come through rough and some come through with real craftsmanship evident. I looked at one at Kittery Trading Post in Maine and it looked roughly made and put together, I saw the one I liked at Two Rivers Canoe in Medway, Maine. It looked so well put together with such great wood and nicely finished I would be worried to take it in the woods, that one was the one I would like to get, but Barry had a nice Gibbs rifle SMLE converted to 45/70 that I would like to have also, he really has some fine guns there. The short scope rail has me concerned on these russian guns, how have you that have them correctly mounted scopes on them and what rings did you use?....<><.... :)

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »
    I have yet to put a scope on my Spartan .308. It would probubly be either Leupold or Warne rings as I have seen others on these forums having success with these. I e-mailed Remington awhile back asking if .22 rings would work and would they handle the recoil of the .308? They e-mailed back and said they would. So any .22 rings built for the 11mm rail would work. I would suggest using steel rings for added strength. I do like the idea of the Warne 7.3 rings. They have removable recoil keys which would work good on the spr18 rail which has one cross slot at rear. My only concern would be the space between the two rings. Would there be enough room between the rings for the scopes adjustment knobs? :P

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
Hi All,

Sorry but I must say that this thread has given me a laugh with the comments on Russain made stuff. The fit and finish on the commercial Russain made rifles is all that the importer will pay for. The Russians are capable of making rifles of the finest quality however it seems these high quality rifle stay in Russia.

I have a Baikal MH18 which is the rifle that Remington is selling as the Spartan, mine is a .222 Remington and I brought it used with the rear sight missing, it has a 6x40 scope fitted using steel Hilver made rings as you can see here:-

I did no like the stock and fore end shape so I reshaped them then stained them. However I did not like the resulting finish:-

so I stripped it off and used something else:-

The soft rubber pad has been replaced with a Baikal plastic plate as let's face it the .222 Rem does not need a recoil pad  ::)

Oh I also have a Baikal O/U shotgun which I use for water fowl and it's a well made gun which will easily outlast my lifetime  ;D. I also have a classic English S/S NE made by Cogswell & Harrison and used to have the No2 gun of a pair S/S English game guns so actuall know what real quality is  ;).

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »
As I mentioned, the key to mounting a scope on these rifles is using the proper mounts/rings.
The Leupold # is 54234, Rimfire 11mm high, this will clear the rear sight.
I have also mounted a 6X36 fixed Leupold.  And with these rings/mounts I have about a half inch play to move the scope forward  or back.
The first set I used was Weaver 3/8 dovetail and got movement, shifting of the scope.
MSP Ret;

I don't think a barrel program is available for these rifles.  But for this price I'll just buy another rifle.  ;)
The one you seen was the fancier model with the nickle recivier, or stainless I'm not sure.

Dennis  :)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »
Thanks guys, as someone said there is barely enough room between the rings to fit the turret section of the scope between them, but it fits. Thanks for the pictures Brithunter....<><.... :)

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »
    Those are good pictures of your .222. I had seen them before awhile back. Im going to try one of those compact rifle scopes, like the ncstar 3x9. Its just under 8" long and I think it would look real good on my spr.308.I hunt mostly whitetails here in N.Y. I may go back out west again for elk and mule deer and would like to get another caribou sometime. I know the scope I mentioned is on the cheap side but I have had good luck  with less exspensive scopes in the past. Hey you dont know unless you try em. :P

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Hi All,

I have been considering changing the scope on mine as I think it really could do with a smaller shorter scope but which one was the question. However that might now be answered as I brought an old Nikko Sterling Special Gold 4x32 scope of e-bay the other day. Now that scope I am going to pu onto a Brno Model No2 .22 Rimfire and that will leave me with a home to find for the Leupold M8 Compact 4x scope which currently sits on the Brno  ;D

Hopefully I will find time to do the swop around by the weekend.

Personally I try for good quality optics after having to pass up  a shot on a oe Doe due to not being able to see which way she was facing whilst using a cheaper scope. Not being made of money .............. in fact not having any money really I look out for good scopes used and so far over the last few years have accumulated 4 nice Pecar scopes this way.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
this a pic of the gun with the rite mount's fitted,as you can see  the mounts can be revrsed to suit diferent scopes .this pic is frome the SSAA mag here in oz but he does not say the name of the mounts ,i wll try to find out.bernie

if its feral its in peril

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 06:42:14 AM »
    Those mounts look like BKL offset mounts. Those would work! :P

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 04:43:34 PM »
   Those sure do look like BKL off set scope mounts! I think I have finally found the rings for my spr18.Thanks for the pic.s!If they are not the BKLs , let me know.Those in the pic.. had solid rings, the BKL's rings are double split rings. Other wise they look the same. :P

Offline dodd3

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 12:56:33 AM »
jim the mounts are called deben thats all i have bin able to find out. i had a look at the BKL mounts they should work they look solid anuff .
bernie :)

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »
           Thanks dodd3! I have gone and ordered the BKL offset rings anyway.I picked up a ncstar 4x30 compact scope from a big gun store in Buffalo, N.Y. yestarday. I was originally going to put a 3x9 compact scope on my gun but saw this 4 power at the gun shop for less money so I thought Iwould try it and see how it holds up.The 4x will be plenty good enough for deer and bear around were I live.I may get the 3x9x42 later on down the road for when I go out west again.The main reason I finally went with the offset rings was to accamedate the short scope.This way I can get the scope closer to the eye by installing the offset ring towards the back.Thanks again for those picts.They were a big help. The deep snow were I live is starting to melt down from warmer temps. so will be able to get out soon and try the spr out with the scope. Will try and send picts.when I figure out how. :P

Offline dodd3

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
jim  glad to help thats what where here for every body helping each outher,let me no how it goes good luck.ps heres the web site for deben mounts they are made in england it seem's
http://www.deben.com/lightsandlamping/tracergunlights/accessories/mountingsolutions.htm

bernie ;D

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 01:47:05 AM »
        My hunting buddy finally recieved his spr .223 yestarday. His cost him $250.00, a $30.00 jump from what I paid for mine.I forgot to mention that gun shop in Buffalo had a spr18 in .308 with the fancy nickel finish. The price of that one was $275.00, still under the suggested retail price of $301.00 from Remington.

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
Well Bernie, I finally got a pair of BKL :P

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »
Jim:

How is the grain on the SPR18 stock?
coyote trapper1928

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
       The grain on the stock and forearm are real decent.The wood looks to be black walnut. There was a couple small blotches in the wood up where the stock mates with the action. After stripping the old stain off and steel wooled the wood, I eliminated one blotch and reduced the other one down to where it was barely noticable. I had some mohogany stain that I applied to the wood which made it darker than before. It turned out pretty good.Iwill try and send a picture of it, if I can figure out how to send it. :P