Author Topic: Lee 500gr. 3R  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Lee 500gr. 3R
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:22:23 AM »
Anybody try this bullet? It looks like it's got enough lube capacity for BP, though I don't know about that long, unsupported nose. I might have to try it since the moulds are only $13 though.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:04:16 AM »
I used it a couple of weeks ago in an informal match and got good results with it.  I cast them out of mostly wheel weights, so didn't have a problem with nose slump.  Accuracy was good at least out to 300 yards when I did my part.  The weather was relatively quite warm, 90+, and the humidity was low, 10%, and had relatively no problem with leading.  However I was giving it at least 10 breaths with the blow tube.  

When casting I had to crank the heat up a little before quit getting wrinkles in the nose.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Lee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »
I use it. Works fine as cast (.459). I cast at 20:1 and also lube the bore-ride section...............(I'm paranoid about leading).
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline hiram

• Avid Poster
lee 500r
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »
I'm happy with the bullet.  I sold my NEI double cavity mold because the Lee was more accurate.  I use 60.3 of goex ff and a card wad.  Last bullets were sized to .458 but next batch will be as they drop.  Using 20:1, neck size half the neck length, and taper crimp.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
i shoot it with great success with black powder. but have done some tests using a gascheck as well i just used a lee champher tool on the base of the bullet then very carefully tap the gascheck on with a mallet and run it through my lee sizer die, with my smokles loads i can push the 500r at 1690 fps  heres a pic. the one with the gascheck is on the right.
bernie :D

if its feral its in peril

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Lee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 07:39:58 AM »
Hey, Dodd, how much chamfer do you put on the Lee before seating the gas check?
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 08:23:05 AM »
Anybody got any loads for this? Will be shooting it in an 1895ss. I know they can only be used single shot ( I made up a dummy rd. to check it)
Have various types of powder.

Tks Gun Runner

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:24:34 PM »
smokin champher is about 1/16"but you must run it through a sizer to get it to bite in on the side's of the bullet.
bernie :D
if its feral its in peril

Offline Nobade

Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 03:20:42 AM »
Well, I bought one. I cast up about 15 lbs. of bullets with it, it ran great and made nice pretty bullets. Then I measured one. .450" on the base, .454" on the driving bands. AAArgh!!! It's going back to Lee today, maybe the next one will be bigger. These ought to be perfect for a fast twist muzzleloader though!

Offline bufflobob

re Lee mold
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 04:10:10 PM »
Don't know if you sent back already, but you might have a good candidate for paper patching. Also, if your using black powder or sub, they might just work fine as is with the bumping up with those powders. Lots of guys shoot under sized with Blackpowder. For thirteen dollars, hardly pays to ship back... Bob.  

Good shooting.   :wink:

Offline Nobade

Re: Lee 500gr. 3R
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
Naah, I tried some and they hold about 3 minutes. Better than I expected, but not good enough. I sent it back, we'll see what comes back to me! I saw over on Cast Boolits that lots of folks are having the same problem. I think Lee turned out a bad batch in there somewhere.