Author Topic: Advice on .357 Handi  (Read 686 times)

Offline Cayoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Advice on .357 Handi
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:28:46 AM »
I'm looking to purchase my first Handi-rifle.  I'm thinking that I'd really like to get a .357 to load with wad-cutters (low to mid level pressure) to make it a super rabbit rifle.

My question is about chamberings...I read some guys who seem to feel that getting these rechambered to .357 max greatly improves accuracy in .357 mag and .38 spl (most of my shooting will probably be in mid level .38 spl cartridges, plus a little .357 mag for deer hunting).

Also, do they all come drilled and tapped for scopes or do I need to order that as an extra?

Since this is my first Handi...I'm really hoping to get some "expert" opinions here to use as guidence.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Advice on .357 Handi
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 04:38:40 AM »
Can't tell ya much about the 357mag barrel, mine was already a Max when I bought it here, it shot Dan Wesson Max ammo excellent, tho. It's since become a .35 Remington and still shoots very well. ;D

The barrel will come drilled and tapped as are all of their rifle barrels, you can order a scope base and hammer extension from H&R when you order the barrel, or use a Weaver #82, I recommend the H&R rail, it's the much better of the 2.

Read the FAQ and Help, lots of info in there including the scope rail info.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:50 AM »
Cayoot,

I'm certainly not an expert, but I do have a .357 Mag barrel!

I have chosen to leave mine as a standard chambering.  It still shoots .360 DWs and they can be loaded as long as a Max, but I shoot heavy cast bullets with it (250 gr) instead of trying to juice it up.  It will shoot close to 1" groups at 100 yards with cast or jacketed bullets and do it with Special, Mag or DW brass.

Subsonic wadcutters are very quiet, especially when you're using ear muffs.

Here's a sample of the accuracy you can expect at 100 yards (I used a 180 gr XTP and .360 DW brass on this group).

BTW, it'll probably be easier to get another chambering and send it in for a .357 Mag barrel than trying to find a .357 Mag on the shelf.  If you get a .35 Whelen first, a lot of the bullets will be usable in both barrels!

Offline Cayoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 05:29:16 AM »
WOW!  That's much better than I expected!  Is that pretty normal or is it unusual for the Handi?

Regardless it's great shooting!
Thanks from the Frozen Northwoods!!!

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son.  I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 06:05:33 AM »
First, your biggest problem is going to be finding a 357 handi.  You will have to buy it used.  H&R quit selling the 357 as a full rig for some reason.  You can still buy the 357 mag barrel, but last I heard, they are currently out of stock. 

Now, for your question.  My max does shoot 357 mags and 38s extremely well, but oddly enough, very differently from the 357 max.  I have a really difficult time switching back and forth from the max to the other two.  I have asked this question of other max owners and all that I have talked to have just suggested shooting max shells all the time with lighter loads when desired.  I haven't tried this yet, but intend to. 

I am far from an expert, but these have been my findings in the 6 months or so that I have had this rifle.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 07:06:28 AM »

I agree with Darat 100, That is my findings also, I did not shot it much before
 I reamed to the Maxie. Hut when I got my 357 Mag rifle, I was planning on
  reaming to Maxmum, Just my 2 cents, did and didn't look back. Marv,