Author Topic: Remember the Main  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Remember the Main
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
I'm alwas looking ahead 2 or 3 projects. I'm begining to like these breech loading signal cannons. I would like to cast something simular to one of these someday. It is a signal cannon that uses 10 gauge blanks. It could easily be scaled up a bit for 8 gauge:O) Does anyone have,  or can get, any good pictures of one? Or any thing simular? Thanks for the input, Wes

Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Remember the Main
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »

Some photos of a 12 gauge signal cannon, that appears to be a reproduction.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:43:56 PM »
Hey Boom,

I remember seeing this one on Ebay also... I spoke to David Ross At cannon - Mania about getting a repro of this cannon He claimed that the machinist that was supposed to build them for him was giving him the run around or something to that effect... Hey Powder Keg if your planning to make a few of these baby put me on your list...

Ed

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »
I am thinking of making some of these. The door has been a mistery to me? I couldnt figure how it was kept shut? But thanks to Boom J I can see that there are some lugs cast into the frame that hold the door shut. Thanks, so much for the pictures. Any idea how big this baby is? How wide are those briks in the background?

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 01:09:48 PM »

I checked my pc photo file again. The seller's description was; A b-p 12 gauge blank firing signal cannon. Barrel 10.5'' long. He didn't say anything about it being a reproduction. It sold for $980.00 The 980 amazed me even more than the way the breech was held closed.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:39:24 PM »
The barrel looks like it is not origonal? Maby it had problems? That would make the wheels about 5" in diameter then. I'll start drawing it up soon and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the pictures Boom J. I never could quite figure out how that damn door worked.

Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »
How about that firing mechanism! Spring wound slap hammer. Just thumb it back and let go.

Offline Randy Buie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:19:29 AM »
Sign me up for one of these sweethearts, too !!! I'd like to change the paint scheme, though.

... Randy

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 07:33:26 AM »
How about that firing mechanism! Spring wound slap hammer. Just thumb it back and let go.

Sorry;
But to have to thumb this thing to set it off is much to dangerous for me to want one. It would place my fingers, Head and hand to close to this cannon’s firing mechanism, and short barrel to be safe.

If you are not familiar with the 12 or 10 gauge Winchester Blank Black Powder shells, they can create an unbelievable amount of NOISE, fire, and smoke.

I do believe more than my half scale Field Parrott Gun with a 1.5” bore and 1.25 ounces of powder

I only shoot my 10 gauge breech loader with a lanyard at a safe distance away.

I have an early 1920’s 10-gauge breech loading field type cannon here that also requires you to fire it with a hand on action and I will not shoot it.

But to each his own, Please do be careful.

Just my two cents worth on this subject.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."