Author Topic: P3AT vs. PF9  (Read 2849 times)

Offline mmwb

• Trade Count: (0)
P3AT vs. PF9
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
I am leaning heavily toward one of these two models.  Kel tec's reputation seems solid in terms of reliability, customer service, and accuracy; and one can't argue with the prices.  The 9 mm is more attractive in terms of punch. The .380 is a bit smaller and around 2/3rds the weight of the PF9.   I don't notice accessories for the PF9, like a belt clip. 

I wants something that is reasonably compact or realistically I wouldn't likely won't carry as I should.   

1. For those of you have shot both of these, how do they handle? 

2. The PF9 seems a bit light for a 9mm.  Is it going to beat the crap out of me if I am shooting it enough to get and stay proficient?   

3. Is accuracy comparable between the two? 

4. How significant is the difference in performance upon bullet impact (given same scenarios: size of perpetrator, clothing, etc...) between these two calibers?     

Your responses will be appreciated!

Offline Savage

Re: P3AT vs. PF9
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »
I own both the P-3AT and the PF-9. If I could only have one, it would be the P-3AT. The PF-9 is just enough larger to make it too large for pocket carry. As far as recoil goes, both have a bit of bounce, not nearly enough to be a problem. I have shot the AT a lot more than the PF as I have owned a couple of them since they came on the market. At this point, I shoot the AT about as well as the PF. Both are more accurate than they have a right to be. I have one AT that I carry in a pocket holster and another with the belt clip for IWB for those times when pocket carry doesn't work for me. The PF works well in a belly band or IWB with cover.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
Keep in mind I own neither but am considering the same two options. I carry a P32 everywhere and have for sometime. I have thought about getting one of the larger versions since I am highly satisfied with the Kel tec I have the reason I went with the P32 to begin with is that in such a small package the 32 is easier to handle than its larger brothers. I have been doing alot of research and I can say they have the bugs worked out of the P32 and the P3AT. After reading a few forums and reviews I think I am going to hold off for the PF9, from what I have read there are still a few kinks might hold out for a second generation seems Keltec likes to release those. I can tell you for the money you cant go wrong with either. I think they make a quality product and I can tell you the only downside to there size is you are inclined to carry them everywhere ( I know that is the whole reason ) but sometimes I have forgotten it was there and been places I shouldnt.

Offline sherpa

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »
the .380 is a pussycat to shoot the P11 is painful the pf9 has to be worse JMHO as i have never shot the pf9 the .380 disappears in a pocket. the p11 is much larger and harder to conceal.the P9 is very close to the same size as the P11 just slimmer grips and fewer shells. if you carry a 9mm just go for the P11.
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline mmwb

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 04:53:26 AM »
I appreciate the replies. How about the differences in terms of performance of the calibers? I realize alot has to do with the brands and types of ammo, but....   

At this point, I am leaning more heavily toward the .380.  It sounds like it definitely is the lowest profile and I've considered that a gentler shooting gun may help bring my wife over to the idea of one for herself to carry.  Obviously the impact on a perpetrator  would be substantially less  than a .45, but how does the .380 compare with the 9mm?  I've heard it referred to as the 9mm short....

Offline pasquot

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
For your info.  Go to www.Handloads.com and look under stopping power.  Generally the 380 have about a 70% one stop shot.  The 9mm has about an 85 to 90% depending on what ammo is used.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
I have a P3AT and a P11. Neither are gentle shooting guns and I wouldn't start the wife off on either of them. Both mine have been extremely reliable, but neither is fun to shoot very long.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:25 AM »
I carry a PF9 in pocket holster and have no issues with concealment but I don't wear tight fitting clothes It shoots remarkable well and to point of aim and I have no recoil issues. I will take a 9mm over a 380 any day of the week.