Author Topic: 243 hunting round (deer)  (Read 2337 times)

Offline tankerjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • This is my howa 243 did the stock myself
243 hunting round (deer)
« on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:55 AM »
 I have the howa 1500 in 243 i love the rifle and the groups it makes but the monarch 100 gr bullets i use too sight in and just shoot around with wont do for hunting i need something with proven deer taking capabilities what would a good round be no hand loading just factory loads please. also at about what range i should expect to take worhty shots thanks for any help!!
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 243 hunting round (deer)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:38:02 AM »
  Tanker, YOU do know this is a CAST bullet thread don't you?  I am NOT familiar with anyone selling LOADED rifle ammo with cast bullets. Sell that .243 and buy a nice 30-06

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
i have one and i prefer my 243 fyi im new and figured someone here was kind enough to help but thanks!! ;)
"war is the remedy my enemies have chosen, and i say lets give them all they want"!!!

Offline flintlock

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »
I've tried about 10 factory loadings on deer with my .243, that I've used since 1980...
I've killed about 85 with the 100gr Remington CoreLokt, it does all that needs doing to a deer and my gun groups them very well...That is basically my go to bullet...

I have also killed several with the 100gr Hornady Custom in their SPBT, one of my buddy's guns prefers this over CoreLokts and between us we have killed about 40-50 deer with it...

These 2 loadings are good out to about 300 yards, most deer are killed within 125 or so, so they handle most situations...

A third bullet that is really good is the Federal Premium 85gr Sierra HPBT...If I anticipate shots past 200 yards or so then this is what I use...This bullet will fragment on shots within 50-75 yards, so beware...

Additional bullets that have worked well are the Federal Premium 100gr Sierra SPBT, the Federal Premium 100gr Nosler Partition and the Federal Classic 100gr HotCore...

Hope this helps...

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
I've tried about 10 factory loadings on deer with my .243, that I've used since 1980...
I've killed about 85 with the 100gr Remington CoreLokt, it does all that needs doing to a deer and my gun groups them very well...That is basically my go to bullet...

I have also killed several with the 100gr Hornady Custom in their SPBT, one of my buddy's guns prefers this over CoreLokts and between us we have killed about 40-50 deer with it...

These 2 loadings are good out to about 300 yards, most deer are killed within 125 or so, so they handle most situations...

A third bullet that is really good is the Federal Premium 85gr Sierra HPBT...If I anticipate shots past 200 yards or so then this is what I use...This bullet will fragment on shots within 50-75 yards, so beware...

Additional bullets that have worked well are the Federal Premium 100gr Sierra SPBT, the Federal Premium 100gr Nosler Partition and the Federal Classic 100gr HotCore...

Hope this helps...
it does thanks for the great info i will look into those.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
Another here that uses remington core-loks they work, shot 1 of my biggest bucks with my 243 useing 100gr core lok at about 150 yards shot him right behind the sholder and he ran about 40 yards and he was done.found the bullet on the off side just under the hide and it look just like the picture on the back of the box a nice mushroom ,they are a great deer bullet and cheap
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »
My son and I load 100gr core-lokts. We have never had a problem with them. If I used factory ammo I'd use 100gr core-lokts.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »
  Joe , sorry for being so snotty before. I have the 6mmREM and use the 85 Sierra HPBT's in them. There is no difference between the .243 and 6mm ballistically. I've killed a few deer beyond 200 yards with mine,but it is almost impossible to find that much ground with out a house on ot any more! I've found 4350 and 760 powders to work great in my guns

Offline tankerjoe

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:26 AM »
  Joe , sorry for being so snotty before. I have the 6mmREM and use the 85 Sierra HPBT's in them. There is no difference between the .243 and 6mm ballistically. I've killed a few deer beyond 200 yards with mine,but it is almost impossible to find that much ground with out a house on ot any more! I've found 4350 and 760 powders to work great in my guns
Its ok and thanks for the help didnt wanna go hunting with anything other than something good everyone says the core lokts which makes sense i also looked into the winchester silvertips they have great reviews but are also a bit more costly but maybe i can try many different loads see what works but i will try the suggested ones first ;D

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
I have used the 100 grain corelokts along with a bunch of others. The Winchester 95 grain loading using the Ballistic Silvertip is a very fast killer, almost makes the 243 seem like a bigger gun. I shoot reloads using the 100 grain Sierra Gameking, the 100 grain Corelokt and now mostly use the 95 grain Ballistic Tip.  Nowadays almost all the heavier bullets you find for the 243 have been designed to work well on deer size animals.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »
I'm a reloader and for many years used Hornaday 100 grain BTSP bullets.  These bullets would rarely exit the deer, but you would usually find them under the hide on the off side.  Often times the bullet would shed it's jacket as well.

But the last half dozen deer have been taken with Speer 105 grain bullets with a near maximum charge of H-4831 SC.  The load is accurate and so far all bullets have exited the deer.

Just my two cents worth.

Offline Ethan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Sell the Howa(kidding) a tikka 595. I shoot a 95 gr. SST Hornady custom
"A good man always knows his limitations”

Offline mt_dren

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
I'm a reloader and for many years used Hornaday 100 grain BTSP bullets.  These bullets would rarely exit the deer,

I really like the Hornady 100 gr BTSP bullets with 37 gr of H380.  I have shot many deer with the Hornady 100 gr BTSP bullets at a variety of distances and have never had one that didn't exit.  The wife shot a doe a few weeks ago through both shoulders with the bullet exiting and the doe dropped in her tracks.

I did use one 80 gr round that did its job, however it did not exit so I stopped using them as a personal preference, however a guy I hunt with uses a 22-250 with bullets in the 50+ gr range and does quite well.

mt_dren

Offline jordisonkevin

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:27 PM »
I shoot 95 grain nosler silver tips that I loaded myself but I have also used the good old winchester 100 grains from wallmart and knocked down saskatchewan white tails past 300 yards. If you figured you well be shooting at the 150 yard mark or less I would just go with whatever you have been using that you are happy with.

Offline ccoker

• A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
I love the 243
killed a pile of deer with them

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »
I've always been happy with the remington core-lokt in any caliber I've used it in. Great bullet at a fair price.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE