Author Topic: How to make a Linstock?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline dynomike1

• Trade Count: (0)
How to make a Linstock?
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
 I am finally through working till next year so i can get back to building my cannon. I have got the quill makeing figured out. I need to know how to make a linstock, I saw the post awhile back but i am on dial up and it's takeing forever to find it, i know different ones on here have cannons from all walks of life. I have a mountain howetizer and i am trying to stay orignal if there is any difference in them.   Any help would be appreciated.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: How to make a Linstock?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
By the time of the mountain howitzer, the linstock was a backup device as the friction primer had been adopted for US artillery pieces.  Friction primers are something of a problem for most hobbyists so we use something else. 

You don't say whether you are looking for a period design or just something that works and is easy to construct.  There have been threads about the latter; I can't remember any on making a period linstock. 

I will check my doc when I get home and see what I can find.  Consulting my doc, I find that the late linstock is a very simple piece, basically a 1.5" dowel 33.5" long, with a 3.5" metal cap with a cross hole for the slow match.  There is a iron point on the opposite end which is tapered to about 3/4" diameter where it enters the 2 1/4" long point.  There are a few more details available from AOP No. 40 Equipment Drawings for Civil War Field Artillery.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:20:56 AM »
You can find this link in the reference sticky:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,65288.0.html

I also like this adaptation:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,66666.0.html

As said, these are likely not historically accurate, but seem to be very effective.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:10:11 AM »
Those two links are in the Safe loads and cannon plans sticky ...now.

Here is a picture I snagged off the internet of a simple linstock.  It supposed to be the real deal.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:11:03 AM »
A broken shovel handle can be made into a very good linstock with a little turning on a lathe.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline dynomike1

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:13:21 AM »
Thanks i have got it now. It looks like a close pin on steroids. I looked at Evil Dogs picture and thats a little more work than i want to do ofcourse copper is a little high. As soon as i get through with my rammer i will start on my linstock probably Tuesday. Talking about a shovel handle, you would be surprised what you can do with a shovel, broom or ho handle. I kinda thought civil war used primers but thats expensive to play with, i'll use them where needed. THANKS again.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:18:04 AM »
These are from the Mary Rose.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »

1745 Jacobite Rebellion

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 08:12:34 AM »

The one I made

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »

I have a mountain howetizer and i am trying to stay orignal if there is any difference in them. 

These photos are of a U.S. C-W issue portfire holder and portfire staves, but I don't have a picture of a period linstock. I would guess that one of the Civil War artillery reenactors on the board would have a linstock because I've seen on some of their sites that the linstock is listed as one of the required equipment items.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dynomike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:03:16 AM »
I found a picture of one in the complete cannoneer, did'nt look like much to it. I not going to try to be fancy on this.

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »
There's room for a lot of artistic creativity with making a linstock. I have done a couple that I've sold on Ebay. One had a carved wooden hand on the end that held the match.
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Captn Barbossa

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
A suggestion for anyone looking to make an easy to form feed tube on the linstock for the match,,, some brake line is large enough in diameter but can be difficult to work with. You can salvage copper line from old window and or central Heating and A/C units and copper tubing from natural or propane gas heaters. They for easy, solder easy and can be polished to a wonderful luster plus it gives your linstock a somewhat Old look to it... Just a suggestion.

Keep your powder dry or have a sling shot in your back pocket and never overlook archery as a backup!