Author Topic: Case Trimmer  (Read 878 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Case Trimmer
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
Hello again,

This may not be the best place to post this but this is mainly where I post and I know you guys will be able to answer my question.  I am just getting into reloading, got a good deal on a lee 4 turret press on a forum with rcbs dies and brass.  The first thing I need to do before I do anything is to get a couple of good books and read them front to back, but one thing that keeps popping up in reading online is case trimming for a rifle.  From what I read, with necked down cases it is a necessary chore that cannot be avoided.  I will be reloading for a .223 H&R Ultra Varmint and would accept any places to start that you could recommend.  I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on this right now but I got such a good deal I knew I would kick myself later if I didn't buy the press now, and I was the first to spot the post for once.  Anyways, I won't be starting right away but will gather up the needed supplies over the next couple of months and any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Case Trimmer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:58 PM »
probably the cheapest way to go, and pretty good for function is the Lee Case trimmer. See it at the Lee site http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1231051962.5784=/html/catalog/casecon.html  You can probably get them a little cheaper at retailers / mail order like Mid South, Midway, etc.  If you are only going to load for one or 2 cartridges (calibers) and in modest quantities this may be the best way to go. If you plan to load a lot a bench mounted trimmer is probably handier.

All the big reloading manufacturers - RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lyman make a good case trimmer.  There was an extended thread about them on this forum - you should do a search. Keep an eye out for a trimmer here on GB's classifieds, or ebay or one of the gun auction sites and get a used one for less.  I have a Lyman Universal that I really like but it doesn't seem that popular with the folks on GB. HTH

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:27:10 AM »
Get the lee case case trimmers. They are caliber specific and work great.You will need the ball handle,adapter(for cordless screwdriver)and the pilot/holder.check midsouth less than 20 to start and the pilots for specific calibers are less than 5
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
The Lee system is good and simple to use. But for rifle case trimming, I like the Wilson trimmer best. Not too expensive either (but more than the Lee system).

If your press came with RCBS X-dies, you only need to trim once, then the sizer die will not let them grow over the life of the brass.

Andy

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
How does an RCBS x die keep the case from elongating?

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »
Matt3357,

Being an Ol'Coot, I am allowed to have my opinions - right of age - but remember you get what you pay for.

I do have a Lee item or two, for very specific chores where they have come out with an item not available from other makers, and not all of their products are second rate.

However, after looking at the available Lee trimmers, I would go to e-bay or a gun show or?????  and look for a trimmer of higher quality then what Lee curently advertises.

If your going to reload for long term, it will more then pay for itself.

I did have one of the Lee, case specific trimmers at one time, but it was second rate in use at the very best and nothing like the usefullness of the RCBS or Forester products I presently own.

Why two trimmers???  Well, the Forester was bought so I could do outside case neck turning and it just so happens to also trim necks.  I doubt I will ever wear out my old RCBS trimmer, as it is still going strong after many hundreds of trim jobs.

Just IMHO.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Racer X

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »
Get a Forster. They are better than the RCBS, which does not cut the case mouths square, at least mine did not.
Estranged eldest son of Mom and Pops Racer and older brother of legendary Mach V race car driver Speed Racer

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
I've used a Forster Case Trimmer for over 45 years and it still works just fine. 

The Forster Trimmer only needs a "guide" (not what they're called, they're possibly called "collets") for the caliber of the cartridge case you're going to trim (a .224-inch "guide" for your .223).  The "guide" or "collet" is positioned between the trimmer's blades and fits inside the case mouth to "center" the case on the trimmer in order to get the job done. 

You can also buy other accessories to use with the Forster Case Trimmer if you wish to get really serious about accuracy.  I have accessories for doing the inside & the outside neck turning of the cases, but never use them anymore.

If you get another caliber rifle, all you need do to trim the necks on the new caliber is get a "guide" for that caliber and insert it into the trimmer on the Forster Case Trimmer and you're all set to trim the new caliber cases. 

Those "guides" are very inexpensive... maybe $1.25 or so each, but I haven't bought one for many, many years, so they may be slightly more now. 

To insert them, you simply loosen a allen-headed screw, remove the other "guide" that is sitting between the trimmer blades and insert the new "guide" in the vacated guide hole between the trimmer blades, re-tighten the allen-head screw to hold the "guide" in place and that's it.  Then you will need to adjust the timmer for the new case's length.  Then you're all set to start triming the new caliber's cases. 

The Forster trimmer also has a micro-(screw) adjustment once you've set the trimmer for the case length so that you can make tiny adjustments for case length/trim length if you're not triming quite enough brass off the mouth of the case or if you are triming a bit too much off the mouth of the case.  It's a very hand, precise adjustment which is what you need when you're working in a few thousandths of an inch on case length.

The only item you'll need to trim the cases is a "guide" for each caliber you wanna trim... and right now, you've only got one caliber... the .223 which uses a "guide" measuring .224 inches in diameter.

You'll also need a deburring tool for inside & outside deburring of the case mouth once it is trimmed to the proper length.  But that is something you'd need regardless of the brand of case trimmer you buy.

The Forster Case Trimmer screws down (4 small screws) to the top of your loading bench or you can do as I did and mount it on a piece of 2 by 4 and drill 2 bolt-holes in the 2x4 with which to run bolts through the 2x4 and through the bench-top, then "lock" it down by add wing-nuts under the benchtop to lock the trimmer on the 2x4 into place.

Then you can get an adjustable aluminum holder which holds an electric screw-driver in a V-shaped form and align and use the electric screw-driver like a tiny lathe motor to turn the trimmer.   However, you'd only need that if you were doing hundreds and hundreds of cases which is doubtful at this point in your reloading.  You can also get the adjustable aluminum holder if you find turning the trimmer handle is a big chore. 

Or... you can merely use the handle that comes with the Forster Case Trimmer to do the turning for both the case trimming and the deburring if you have a deburring holder set up on a 2x4 as well.  Or you can deburr by hand, one case at a time... turning the deburring tool first one direction to do the inside of the case mouths, then turning the other way to do the outside case mouths.

But don't worry or get confused... once you see the equipment and hopefully, someone will explain the basic operation to you, you'll be all set to begin.

I'd suggest you attempt to find a "reloading mentor"... someone who is an experienced reloader to sit with you for first several times you do some reloading and offer his expert advice... the "do's" and "don't do's" so to speak.

My set up is like a tiny machine shop with an electric screw-driver doing all the work and turning the timmer as well as the deburring tool... but you don't need to get that "fancy".

Good luck in your new "adventure"... I think you'll find you enjoy doing your own reloading... and you'll save a lot of money over buying factory-loads, trust me!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »
+ 1 on the Forster trimmer.  Get the caliber specific pilots and collets as needed.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 02:36:59 AM »
Another Forster vote here. Ended up buying the accessories to outside neck turn too. And now they even have a power adaptor that you can hook up a cordless screwdriver to, if you have bunch's of case's to do. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 04:06:59 AM »

From what I read, with necked down cases it is a necessary chore that cannot be avoided. 

Matt that's not necessarily true.  Lots of things going on here.  I'm still using some '06 brass that has been loaded 10+ times that is still within limits.  I do trim brass but only if necessary, it's not one of the chores I consider fun.  I'd suggest that you shoot first and worry about trimming only if it becomes necessary.

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 05:28:24 AM »
I have decided that it will be a necessary evil for at least all first time reloaded brass, as I was getting some differences in the same head stamp.  I'll check them every time to see but prolly wont be necessary until the 3rd or 4th reload.  I went with a lee trimmer for cost and value.  I chuck it up in my drill and have complete control on it to trim, debur the flash hole, chamfer inside and out, and to run a brush into the case neck.  I have about 120 cases tumbled, trimmed, and primed waiting on me once i figure out a safe/accurate load this weekend.  So far it all seems to be working out.  Thanks to all who answered.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »
Sounds like you're well on your way, Matt, good luck and keep us informed how it progresses

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt