Author Topic: building 2 KY rifloes with a sliding patchbox  (Read 462 times)

Offline oltom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
building 2 KY rifloes with a sliding patchbox
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
Here's the story:
I am building two Ky rifles, one for me, and one for my sister~, the wood is black walnut from my mom's place in Ky....we had a ice storm a few years back and this walnut feel into her back porch, so began the story~the set back for me was when i wanted a fellow to take the 'blanks' and rough out the butt-stock/cheek piece area's....my blank had a knot hole that 'blew out' and the blank was wasted~ so another blank is currently on it's way(8-26-11).
My sister's blank is patterned after a small Lancaster, and my rifle will be copy of J.P.Beck~ but this morning i went out 'brother Yoder's and took off some wood to get the beginning of the lay-out.
I now am awaiting the soon-to arrive 2 44" 40cal swamped barrels from a maker that lives in Ky, he took my order a year ago, :-)  the wood stump was cut in 09, then into planks and dried, cut to blanks this spring, sent to Pa for rough-out, just picked up last week 8-11~ so it a slow process!
here ya go~

and to keep me company in the "shop" is ol tomtom~he's the BEST mouser/ratter~ and ANYTHING smaller than him !....i have seen him catch a full size cottontail, and eat EVERYTHING except the guts and ears....then sleep for a day~digesting!
shop and tomtom:

and last , here's is a copy of a "Davy Crockett" horn....I saw a picture of it, and thought it was nice, and fancy~ I turned the ends, did the scrimshaw, and dyed it~ I think it turned out nice!
"MORE booze!"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Not really a cannon....but interesting anyway~?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
This was posted on the cannon board, but it's not cannon related.  Belongs over here in the Traditional board.  Not that we don't appreciate a nice long rifle, its just not cannon.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Kaintuck thats some good work ! There's nothing nicer to look at than a well made longrifle .

Will the J B BECK have a sliding patchbox ?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline oltom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
sliding PB oh yes!.....will be my 1st sliding box~we are both on a budget, so it's GOOD that it will take time!
trackofthewolf needs to let me have a 1hr free shopping spree someday! :o
"MORE booze!"