Author Topic: Need Help / Barrel wont open once shot  (Read 907 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Need Help / Barrel wont open once shot
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
Just got a used 20 guage barrel from a member. Tried it on all my sb2 receivers and got a really good lock up on one. Plenty of latch play. when closed no light between barrel and receiver even seems to have even latch engagement. Took it to the range today and after some of the shots the barrel would not open. I had to stand the gun up on its stock and give it some force. I didnt happen on all of them but I would say on 5 out of 20 shots. What should I do.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: Need Help / Barrel wont open once shot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
Check the firing pin depth!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
Sounds like the firing pin is hanging up in the primer, cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger again may free it up so you can open the action, the firing pin may be damaged and it may need a good cleaning and possibly a new firing pin return spring.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
Well I switched this barrel and put my 25.06 on it and still had no problem. Now that I think of it I shot 3a boxes federal fusion and one hornady slug and it didn't happen to the hornady. I wonder if it could have been hanging up on the hull of the fusion stuff or maybee there primers had to do with it.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
Well I switched this barrel and put my 25.06 on it and still had no problem. Now that I think of it I shot 3a boxes federal fusion and one hornady slug and it didn't happen to the hornady. I wonder if it could have been hanging up on the hull of the fusion stuff or maybee there primers had to do with it.
Generally speaking this is not a problem with the primers... Shotgun primers are tougher and are not a problem like pistol and rifle primers can be. If you look at it this way, shotguns have large pins and generous holes with no problems. But install a 357 or 44 and you will find primers flowing into the gaps beside the pin...

I agree with the guys suggesting firing pin problems.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:21:05 PM »
But woulnt I have that issue also with the 2506 barrel that was on there also. I switchedback to it and was fine

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
Not necessarily, as I said shotgun primers are a different animal...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
Well was back at the range today with federal power shok sabots and they shot the best out of any ammo I tries so far. Last 2 shot group at 100 were touching in the bull. Also not once did the barrel not open as it did with the fusion ammo I last shot. These are one of the cheapest sabots on the market and so far the best shooting in this gun. Like we all no as we are handi owners more doesnt mean better. Good hunting.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
I had this problem sorta.  Had a .357 barrel on my SB1 frame which did fine until I fired some really hot loads.  Was hard to open due to primers flowing back into that large firing pin hole on the shotgun frame.  Put it back on the proper SB2 frame and had no further problem.