Author Topic: Need help with 45LC load  (Read 498 times)

Offline bigbigjoe76

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help with 45LC load
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
First off, I am new to reloading, so I went by the book on working this load up.  Here is what I used.

45LC brass by Starline, 250gr XTP bullets, winchester WLP primer, and IMR 4227 powder

I loaded 4 at 20.6gr, 4 at 21.5, 4 at 22.5 , and 4 at 23.5

All four groups shot great, they actually shot better than I can.

And now for my problem, after each shot my barrel has so much powder left in it I would be scared to make a follow up shot. I can even knock some powder and residue out of the brass. I was swabbing between every shot. I've seen residue before, but nothing like this.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears,  Thanks !!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need help with 45LC load
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
I'd be crimping to see if it helps if you aren't already, makes a difference in some of the big bores.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigbigjoe76

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I used to the Lee factory taper crimp die  with a light crimp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
I heavier crimp may be all that's necessary, that's what it took to get my 500S&W to shoot better, worth a try.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »
I heavier crimp may be all that's necessary, that's what it took to get my 500S&W to shoot better, worth a try.

Tim

X2

I've had great luck with IMR-4227 and the 45 Colt both in handguns and rifles. I always use a firm crimp with IMR-4227.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
My brother had the same problem with IMR-4227.  He gave me 2lbs of what he had left and I thought I wouldn't have the problems he had, I was wrong.  I tried a heavy crimp thinking this would solve it, nope, but it helped some.  Different bullets and powder charges didn't help either.  The only thing I didn't try was a magnum primer, maybe I'll get around to it someday, but for now its put up and I use h-110 and titegroup for all my pistol shooting.  The IMR-4227 my brother gave to me has some age to it, maybe this has something to do with it.  It burns so incomplete there seems there is something wrong with it.  I didn't mind it too much when I had a 45colt contender because after I'd fire a shot I could just dump the unburned powder out the end before opening it up.  With my 45colt lever-gun after a few shots I was afraid unburnt powder would make its way into the trigger mechanism and cause problems, it was that bad.  If I try it again magnum pistol primers and a heavy crimp would be a must.
Dave 

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:31:50 AM »
You might want to try sending an e-mail to IMR with your problem. I  bet they'll have an answer for you.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor