Author Topic: Handi vs. Topper vs. BC Classic Carbine  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Chief Sapulpa

• Trade Count: (1)
Handi vs. Topper vs. BC Classic Carbine
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Hello, newbie, soon to be BC Classic Carbine owner here...so what's the difference between the Handi rifle, Topper and BC Classic Carbine?...is it only wood quality, receiver finish and barrel finish?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi vs. Topper vs. BC Classic Carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
Welcome! The Topper line was originally made by H&R Inc that went out of business in 1986, modern Topper shotguns were made by NEF and H&R1871, but were discontinued in this year. The Handi-rifle was first available from NEF and later from H&R1871 and is still in current production by H&R1871, NEF is no longer an active brand name. The 45 Colt BC Carbine was only made in 2007 and 2008, although the 45-70 BC is still in production, both by H&R1871, has a faux case colored SB2 frame and checkered walnut stock as opposed to blued, oxide or nickel finish of the Handi with hardwood or synthetic stock. Modern Toppers were a little nicer than the Pardners, kinda a like the difference between the Handi-rifle and an Ultra Hunter or Ultra Varmint.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,229838.msg1099278933.html#msg1099278933
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Chief Sapulpa

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
Tim, thanks for the explanation.  I have seen the Classic Carbine 45LC with both blued barrels as well as a black painted barrel.  Could the black painted barrel be an accessory barrel added later?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
More likely the barrel was painted by the previous owner, like I said, H&R hasn't made the BC Carbine since 2008. H&R does black oxide refinishes tho, so it could have been redone after the fact, it's not a standard accessory barrel finish tho, it would had to be a special request on the barrel order or aftermarket. My 45-120 BC barrel has a matte finish, but it was done my my gunsmith.

Tim

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
I'm not sure where, but I remember seeing a .45LC BC (NIB) version for sale.  I think it was on GB.
IIRC it was going for $380.00.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
Last carbine I saw for sale here (about 1 yr ago) was asking price of $300, and it wasnt moving then. Must be gone, though, because it hasnt shown back up.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »
CDNN sold over 300 BC Carbines last year for $247 or less shipped, one of which was to me!!  8) Unfortunately, they sold all of them.  :-\

Tim

Offline reloaderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:12:10 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Classic Carbine in 45 Colt. Everytime i shoot mine, I have to stifle a laugh. It's just that much fun to shoot ! If you want to hunt with it, it will do for just about anything you might run across in the woods.

all that glitters is not gold
all who wander are not lost

Offline Chief Sapulpa

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  My new-to-me Classic Carbine is on its way to me today.  I too expect a degree of giddyness with this caliber since I will be firing some GOEX Blackdawg blackpowder.  I also will use this caliber as my entre into reloading.