Author Topic: .219 Donaldson-Wasp?  (Read 491 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
.219 Donaldson-Wasp?
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:34 AM »
I have never been happy with my Handi .243. Just can't get it to shoot well. Anyway, I have a Winchester High Wall in the .219DW  and I reload for the Wasp. My high wall is more of a bench rest rifle than a field rifle. Got to thinking about changing my Handi to the Wasp, especially since Handi's seem to do better overall with rimmed cartridges. Does anyone have a Handi in .219? How would I get a barrel? Any other changes needed?
GuzziJohn

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: .219 Donaldson-Wasp?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:54:33 AM »
The 219 DW is a very good cartridge and in works well in the Handi platform. You can purchase a 22 Hornet barrel and chamber it to the Wasp. You will be stuck with the twist rate of the 22 Hornet, 12" for the older Hornets and 9" for the newer ones, real old ones might be 16" twist. You can chamber a 22 Magnum barrel to the 219 DW, but it will have 16" twist and the barrel material will be made out of different steel alloy that the 224 centerfire barrels. The 223 is a bit too long to be chambered in 219 Wasp. Another possibility is to get a 17 caliber barrel and have it bored to a .224 and then chambered to the 219 DW. One advantage to that is you can get a twist rate you wish. The other way is to find a donor barrel (usually shotgun) and get some one to stub it with a .224" barrel and chamber it for the 219 DW. The stub should work, since it can be chambered in a T/C Contender. Another possibility is to chamber a 223 into a 219 Zipper or a 225 Winchester. Of course you still be stuck with the twist rate of the original 223 barrel, again 9" or 12" twist rates, depending on age. There are a few of them around, I think Stimpy may have one, but not real sure on that. Since you already have a Wasp, I do not have to warn you about the problems of making cases. Making cases aside, the 219 DW is a very good cartridge.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:57:30 AM »
Quote from laOtto222:
"Since you already have a Wasp, I do not have to warn you about the problems of making cases."

They are commercially available or at were some years back when I bought a 200 cases, think it was through Buffalo Arms if my memory is correct.
GuzziJohn

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:09:20 AM »
You are correct, you can buy them at $88/100 yikes! 30-30 brass $34/100 for Winchester, but need to be formed and then fire formed.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
I discovered that a lot of the formerly available oddball brass is not so anymore, or often almost permanently backordered. Before getting too involved with a new to me 'old ' caliber I make for sure and for certain I can get brass. All that said, I had thought about doing the quick twist 223 to a 219 Zipper but I understand the appeal since you are set up for the 219DW.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974