Author Topic: 'Baby' desert eagle  (Read 1075 times)

Offline BoatVet

• Trade Count: (0)
'Baby' desert eagle
« on: April 10, 2003, 03:53:23 PM »
I just unwillingly sold my brother my Ruger P97DC that I've had for 4 years and was probably the best handgun I've owned. I let him "borrow" it for a year while I was way out of state on orders. I got back and he didn't want to part with it, so I got him to write me a check for the actual purchase price. Not a bad deal but I rather liked that .45. So now to my actual question, I need a new .45 to replace my last one and have taken a liking to the new baby eagles by magnum reserch. They look like tough guns and are right at $500. Does anybody have one, has shot one, or heard anything about these pistols. Any coments about likes, dislikes, or storys I will apreciate because the only thing I have heard,seen, or read about them was from the stores gunsalesman and he said he bought the first one they got in and he loves it. If you get this far thanks for reading the whole post.

Offline RON KONTOWSKY

• HTTP://WWW.DEANSGUNSHOP.COM
'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 02:49:13 AM »
Although I have never seen there .45 acp version(which will be meatier in the grip) I am quite familar with the  gun in 9mm and .40 s&w, these guns are based on the CZ-75 design, which was loosely based from the BROWNING HIGH POWER.

That makes this a time proven design with alot of battle/field use.

Exceptionly well built , fit and finish excellent , action is smooth yet crisp, has decock feature, really can not say enough good things about this tank, I believe it will serve you well.
Keep your fond memories of the RUGER  and move on!!

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
YOU`RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB!
MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE ONE GUN AT A TIME.
DEANS GUNSHOP 2
586-716-3460
www.deansgunshop.com

Offline JohnK

'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 04:52:54 AM »
As Ron said they're based on the CZ design which makes for a terrific proven base. What I don't like about the Baby Eagles though is they put the safety up on the slide instead of on the frame where it's supposed to be!  :grin:

Since you're used to that on your Ruger it might not be a big deal to you, or you may prefer it up there. If you'd like it on the frame take a look at the Witness guns. Still a CZ design, but puts the safety on the frame. My Witness 9mm is the most accurate semi auto I have, beating out my Sig 220.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 04:58:14 AM »
The Baby Eagle pistols are actually Jericho 941 pistols, which are made by IAI.  The parts are actually made in Italy by Tangfolio, but assembled by the Israelis.  Most of the ones marked as Jericho instead of Baby Eagle will sell for $50-$100 less from what I've seen, and they are the same exact gun.  Yes, they are CZ Clones, and a lot of the guys on the CZ Forum have them and like them.  I don't have one, but I've handled a few.  The only thing that stops me from buying either a 9mm or a .45 BE is the fact that there are other things higher on my list.

Offline BoatVet

baby eagle info
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 07:42:07 AM »
Thanks for the info so far I knew I'd get some informative replies. I'll have to check out that safety and see if I like it. One of the reasons I liked my P97 so much was that is was a decock only gun with no other safety and still a double/single action. Got another question, I know This is probably going in a completely different direction but what about the springfield 1911. Not exactly sure what frame size configuration they have but it's $300 dollars more than the baby eagles. This is a gun I'll likely have the rest of my days so it needs to be reliable, accurate out of box, easy to disasemble and clean and have a durable finish. Should I spend the extra money for a 1911 and what would you pick.

Offline RON KONTOWSKY

• HTTP://WWW.DEANSGUNSHOP.COM
'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 05:18:47 AM »
Well now your talking! being that the baby eagles fall in the$450.00 or so ball park and the S.A. 1911 is $300.00 more are you by chance looking at the fully loaded package from S.A. if so diffenitly get the 1911.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
YOU`RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB!
MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE ONE GUN AT A TIME.
DEANS GUNSHOP 2
586-716-3460
www.deansgunshop.com

Offline JohnK

'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2003, 05:29:14 AM »
I have a couple 1911s, but I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd take the CZ design over a 1911, but that's just my opinion. My 9mm Witness was $275 and has never had a malfunction.

However since you say this gun will be one that you'll keep to the end of your days I wouldn't worry about the price so much. Over the next 40 years is it really going to matter if you spent $400 or $700 on this gun? Either the CZ or 1911 can be very accurate and reliable. The 1911 is, again in my opinion, easier to completely take apart. Anyone can learn how to do it.

You said "One of the reasons I liked my P97 so much was that is was a decock only gun with no other safety and still a double/single action. " The 1911 is completely different from that, are you sure you'd like it? I suggest going to a range where you can rent both types and shoot a few boxs through each before you make your decision.

Offline BoatVet

eagle vs. 1911
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 09:35:36 AM »
We unfortunately do not have any gun shops that let you rent a weapon and shoot it at range. It was nice to do that when I lived in California but here in Alaska you just buy the gun and some bullets and drive to the public range on the side of a mountain. I went back to look at the Springfield to see which one it was and get a feel for it. It was the Ultra combact, combat with Novak adj. night sights in stainless steel. I was hoping it was a full size because my hands don't fit the compact guns well. It also only holds 6 rounds, were as the baby eagle holds ten and has a nice full size frame. I am definetely back on the eagles edge and after I go to the store again I will probably come home with it. I always find an excuse to go to the supermarket so I can pick up some food and wonder over to the outdoor section and drool over some new guns! It dosen't sound like I'll be disapointed with an eagle and if I find I don't like it I can always sell it and order a full size 1911.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 04:24:29 AM »
A gun shop in the supermarket?? Come on you've got to get into the 21st century. :-)   :-)  :-)   Aaahhh, the good old days are still alive in Alaska. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline BoatVet

'Baby' desert eagle
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 03:35:00 PM »
:)  Ya you just have to love it! Coming from California you really get to see how nice it is to not have smog laws, state income tax, and the right to carry a weapon. Not that I had any problems with bears in California, but just drive through a big city and I'll take a bear anyday because they don't shoot at you. I remember about 8-10 years ago when you could still buy guns at K-mart in california, now I don't think you can get a bb gun there. Well here you can go to the larger supermarkets that have clothes, furniture, videos, food, liquor, and best of all guns. Definetely the cheapest places to buy new firearms. I can buy a handgun, a few bullets, a fishing pole and throw it all between the milk and the steaks. :)