Author Topic: new rifle  (Read 823 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
new rifle
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »
 ;D well i got it !  i purchased a H&R in 35 whelen, i had a 3 - 9 x 40 simmons blazer scope with burris high rings, mounted and bore sighted...i cant wait to dial that monster in..maybe this weekend ! thanks for all who answered my questions and help me make a choice.. now i'll have all new questions, lol ...
slainte, glenn macgregor

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: new rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »
Glenn

Now you went and did it , another handi-holic in the making .  ;D Please let us know how it shoots .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:20:38 AM »
Congrats Glenn!! You're on the way to being a true Handiholic!! Here's another ammo source in case the rems don't work out, looking forward to your shooting report! ;)

Tim

http://cpcartridge.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_72
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:42:29 AM »

Congrats Glenn, Hope she shoots good. Handi-holic in the Making.
 Next thing you know, You'll have more than Quick, Yhat's a bunch.
 Marv,

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 02:44:22 PM »
 :D yeah thanks ..now as soon as i get it dialed in and zeroed, i'll report on it with all details.. with any luck i'll have a hunting report to follow that this season. at this point i'll be sighting in at 100 yards with the remington 200 grain psp's .. thinking the 250's a bit much for the whitetails in these michigan swamps... ;D
i looked into the details of the .35 whelen and history.. makes for an interesting read, hope what they say is true.
cheers, glenn

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:14:37 PM »
.. thinking the 250's a bit much for the whitetails in these michigan swamps...

Nah....I am using a 515gr Hardcast out of my 45-70 this year, either way it will make meat.

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
515 gr on whitetail?

is there any meat left?

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 04:27:51 PM »
Looking forward to shooting report.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »
.. um i dunno, i shot a nice size buck with a .300 win mag and wished i hadnt..i not sure if hitting a whitetail with a 515 hardcast is what i'd want to do , lol ..but to each his own.. i took my new rifle all apart and cleaned the factory goop and whatnot out of it and cleaned the bore out, and polished up a chamber just a bit, tomorrow i plan on zero-ing the scope and breaking in the barrel ( im a bit picky about that too, lol ) ..remington reports that the 200 gr. will shoot flat from 0 to 100 yards and only drop to 1.5 inch at 150.. so we'll see..
the 35 whelen is not rare but still im out of the crowd wiht this round, and i just may keep it that way if the bullet preforms like promissed. we shall see
cheers, mates

Offline John020769

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
Been wantin to add a 35 wheelin since it came out will be tring to Hunt in Mason county Mi. this fall (Scottisville) have some land up north and have not been up there in 2 years work has had Me workin too much let Me now how it works I just might send of for both a 45-70 and a 35 wheelin  also want a 32" 12 ga .............John

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
Hardcast just punches a hole, RNFP only going 1200fps.  Being 45 cal already it doesnt need to expand.  Should be about like hitting them with a 1 oz 12 gauge slug.

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 02:15:48 PM »
 ;D i sighted in my new 35 whelen today.. the first 3 shots made a grouping about 4 inches right of the X and in about 2 inch group after bore sighting ...
 i made a few clicks adjustment and the next three made a 2 inch group in the X ring at 50 yards. then i cleaned the barrel very with shooters choice, and checked my groups again.. from the bench to the 100 yard target there was no ... no .. drop, i checked it at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. dead flat  with the remington 200 grain bullets. the recoil was not as bad as i though it might be, it was a soild thump but didnt feel as heavy as my 12 guage shot gun with 1oz. 3 inch slugs... i shot 10 rounds total with no shoulder aches at all.. shooting a whole box would not have been a problem.. my groups were no more the 2 inch wide, in a nice triangular shape.. no fliers.. i then filled a 2 1/2 gallon jug full with water...set it out at 125 yards... took aim.. squeezed off a round... what was left of the jug was about 10 feet away.. the water never even got the gruond wet, it just vaporized.. the jug was ripped to shreads ... it was a fine friday afternoon. im a happy gun owner
cheers, glenn

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 02:43:19 PM »
Sounds like you're all ready to make some meat!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 01:23:40 AM »
Scibear:  Good report.  Thanks for the details.

EVOC ONE

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 04:25:46 AM »
 ;D.. oh yeah 'm ready to take deer and a hog or two for sure .. one think i forgot to mention, the trigger is as crisp as can be on this rifle, no slop, creep or anything.. its breaks clean as glass.. not sure of the weight, but its not much.. i added a nice leather basket weave sling that matched with wood on the stocks, punched a few holes along the short strap and weaved in some dark leather lacing.. shoots great, looks purty..
cheers