Author Topic: custom paint jobs  (Read 697 times)

Offline black_lab

• Trade Count: (0)
custom paint jobs
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:13 AM »
i know there was somewhere on here that explained how to custom paint a gun. but i cant find it. any help will be great! i just wana know what kind of paint to use. how many coats. do i need to sand the stock if its synthetic, or wood. do i need to sand the scope or just clean it. do i need to clear coat it, or just leave it. any help would be appreciated. i wana practice first with a lil synthetic marlin 22 i have. and my cousin is going to practices on a lil wood stock 22 he has. we want to attempt it tonight. please help. thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: custom paint jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:24 AM »
There are at least two links in the FAQs on painting.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
I just made sure all the grease and oil was off the metal on mine.  The wood I ran steel wool over to take off the shine.  I used Rustolium textured paint for the metal, I did mine in green.  The textured paint feels like it has sand in it with a sandy finish.  On the wood I chose to use the Rustolium Accents Paint, the one that simulates Rock Texture, I chose Black.  This gave my stock and forearm a really rough textured finish, easy to hold on to.  I then put a matte clear coat finish on the wood.  I did not clear coat the metal.  It's been like that for about eight months now and I really like it. 

I know I really got to do something with that scope.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Jonboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
Soudough, I like it. That rock texture really rocks !

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
Sourdough,

That stock does look pretty sweet. I bet it is easy to grip. Where did you get the idea from?

Navylawdog

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:41:26 PM »
The gun got dropped into the river and spent the night underwater.  The next day when I got it out I did not have any oil so it rusted bad.  Getting the rust off I took off the bluing.  I knew I wanted to paint it so I went to the hardware store and started looking at the paints.  Really liked the texture of the Accent paint that simulates rock, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Turned out good, I like it.  Getting ready to do a .223 using white textured paint on the metal and a real light colored Accent paint for snow camo.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »
Sweet make sure you post some pictures of that one as well. I need to snow camo a gun for yote hunting in Maine.

Navylawdog