Author Topic: Custom Stocks for NEF's  (Read 2818 times)

Offline dave hall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • The Great .458
Custom Stocks for NEF's
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:48:21 PM »
Does anyone make better looking stocks for the Handi-Rifles.I"m getting a new .500 S&W in a  Handi and wanted to put a nice stock on it.Thanks for the info,Dave.
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Custom Stocks for NEF's
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
www.gunstocksinc.com a GBO sponsor, is the main squeeze for custom stocks.

Tim

Here's Mac's on a 24" barreled .243 Ultra Varmint

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »

My son put a set of Gun stocks on his 204 R  Great set ! His is thumb hole!
 Marv.

Swampman

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 01:40:46 AM »
I really like the laminated set that H&R sells.  I just scored one NWTF set on ebay for my shotgun.

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:50 AM »

better looking stocks for the Handi-Rifles

I'm sure you meant wood but... I've gotten alot of comments on above Choate. While I like wood and have replaced some of my stocks with wood, I have to admit black fiberglass really turns me on. I know, I know, yuck!!! But just in case someone else reading this post likes it: 

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?Product_CatalogID=2867&ProductNumber=19%2D02%2D08&ProductCode=33&ProductSubCodeID=197&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

The anchultz style rail on the forearm allows a bipod or other accessories. I may be be placing a high intensity light on the rail for varmint shooting (legal in MN under certain conditions). The skeleton stock has potential too for other goodies.

It's just an option to use in case you don't want to scratch a custom stock. Slap on the fiberglass for hunting and or wet weather, or to work up the handload for the .500 S&W which is really what above Choate stock was designed for; precision shooting.

bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »
Dave Hall.
How about doing your own from an origional Ultra laminated stock. They have all sorts of extra wood to whittle on.

Origional stock on bottom.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »
Dave Hall.
How about doing your own from an origional Ultra laminated stock. They have all sorts of extra wood to whittle on.

Origional stock on bottom.

Fred,
 I saw you post these in another thread.. SUPER NICE WORK!!!  I REALLY like them!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »

This is the one I truely like the looks of...it's stuffits Buff classic.....

That is a nice oil finsih...and the burling on the roll over looks awsome...I would like to see a close up of it...hint hint.. ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Levergun 94

• Texas Hunting Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »
Just curious, and I know they're not as fancy as the above mentioned, but can you buy the camo stock like those on the rifle on the H&R main page?  I browsed the entire site, and only saw mention of replacement type stock.  Thanks for the help.

Tim
Take your time ..... but do it quickly
Attributed to Mr. James Butler Hickcock

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Mac.  I'll see if I can come up with a better and closer pic.  The one you've got here was taken before I finished the project.  I'll either edit it in or  put another post further along.  :)
 ;)
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 04:31:17 PM »
Just curious, and I know they're not as fancy as the above mentioned, but can you buy the camo stock like those on the rifle on the H&R main page? I browsed the entire site, and only saw mention of replacement type stock. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Most alll of H&R's current stocks are listed in the FAQ and Help sticky in the 2005 Retail Parts Price list and additions that are there. They have 3 camo stocks, a synthetic straight and a straight and monte carlo laminate. Gunstocksinc.com also sells the style Stuffit has in several laminates.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Also don't forget that the Mossy Oak camo stocks can be gotten from H&R , like the ones they put on their waterfoul guns
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Levergun 94

• Texas Hunting Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  Guess if it didn't have pictures, I browsed over it to quickly.
Will do a more thorough read when I'm a bit more awake  ;D,

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
levergun94

You will find that the H&R site has a lot of stuff NOT listed . ???
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Levergun 94

• Texas Hunting Forums
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
levergun94

You will find that the H&R site has a lot of stuff NOT listed . ???

The more I look, the more I'm starting to notice.  Thanks,

Tim

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »
Here are a few, Mac.  The blown up views make me realize I finished before I was finished.  Oh well....

And posting was no small accomplishment tonight with a rainstorm outside and a wet, shivering thunderphobic feist dog on my lap. 
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 06:41:23 PM »

Stuffit:

It still loolks real good...I thought you were going to stay with the duller oil finish?

Mac

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »
Mac,
I did leave it dull.  You know I just had to put some "Liquid Gold" on it before this latest photo session and it hadn't had time to soak in. But the shine is misleading here.  Once this "wood restorer" (its actually for furniture but good on stocks)  has settled out, it'll be back to the "dull' finish I left.   Gilded the lily for the photo, I reckon.  Sorry.  Maybe I can "draft" the photog again tomorrow and give you a more realistic  final finish pic if the effect of the dull finish was what you were wanting to see.
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 06:10:34 AM »
Mac,
I did leave it dull.  You know I just had to put some "Liquid Gold" on it before this latest photo session and it hadn't had time to soak in. But the shine is misleading here.  Once this "wood restorer" (its actually for furniture but good on stocks)  has settled out, it'll be back to the "dull' finish I left.   Gilded the lily for the photo, I reckon.  Sorry.  Maybe I can "draft" the photog again tomorrow and give you a more realistic  final finish pic if the effect of the dull finish was what you were wanting to see.
 ;)
stuffit

Thanks...I would appreciate it if you would...that first photo to me is the best looking set of stocks I have seen for our Handi's...mine included...and is the finish I am striving to achieve with mine...I really buggerd up my forend and mis cut it bad the last go around...and am going to have to replace it...Now that I got my glasses...that shouldn't be a problem anymore :-[..I might wind up cutting the forearm back to standard Handi dimensions..leaving the forend cap on it...we'll see...but in any case...all that tru-oil will be getting sanded down to bare wood ......again...

Mac

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 06:15:26 AM »
Mac,
I can't get a post with pics I have stored on photobucket to post.  Been trying since late last night. I'd love to show em to you but the soft wear won't allow it.  I'll try again later.
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
Try this link Mac
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:56 AM »

Deceased

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Re: Try this link Mac
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
Got it all posted over here:

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12071&PN=1&TPN=1

They look real good...and natural lighting is always the best to see how it really looks...Getting the G.E. Reveal bulds work the same too...If you can log on to Photobucket..you should be able to copy the picture and post it elsewhere..look for the album..don't click on the picture itself..but locate it..and copy the bottom link below the pic..(3rd one down  from the photo)..then just open your post and right mouse click and select past...it already has the santex on it...and you don't have to click on the img button at the top of the page...

You need to post about your dies you used to get this color on the stock...it looks very well blended and gives good highlights too the darker grain..I'm going for no-shean at all when I re-do mine again after hunting season..The wood will have it's own patina for that...

Mac

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 07:25:09 AM »
Mac,
I used exactly the tenique you describe on the photo bucket pics, just as I have on this forum (graybeard)  many times before.  I think maybe I had too many pics on one post.  At any rate, let's allow that old horse to die for now, anyway   ;D 

On the dyes, I didn't use any.  Nothing but what I  finished out my picture post on the other forum with.  I think the "red" came from the many coats of "Tung Oil Finish".  It is a standard finishing product and is not the same thing as just plain ole tung oil.  It's made under the brand name "Miniwax".  Honest Injun!   No dyes..........
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 07:57:04 AM »
Mac,
I used exactly the tenique you describe on the photo bucket pics, just as I have on this forum (graybeard)  many times before.  I think maybe I had too many pics on one post.  At any rate, let's allow that old horse to die for now, anyway   ;D 

On the dyes, I didn't use any.  Nothing but what I  finished out my picture post on the other forum with.  I think the "red" came from the many coats of "Tung Oil Finish".  It is a standard finishing product and is not the same thing as just plain ole tung oil.  It's made under the brand name "Miniwax".  Honest Injun!   No dyes..........
 ;)
stuffit

Then you got an exceptional set of stocks then my friend...

Mac

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 08:28:30 AM »
Mac,
When I order something special like this (at least it's special to me), I almost always do it by phone.  When I ordered the blanks, I did ask for "something a little different" when I talked to Ed.   So you are correct in that this was not their stnadard grade of walnut blanks.  It cost a little more but was not inordinately expensiive.  I kept up with the appearance status of the wood as I went along by scanning pics after some of the steps.  Would it be helpful to you if I posted the scans/pics  that I made of my progress along the way?  I'll have to hunt them up but I think I can find most of them.  Maybe, with the software changes today, they'll post and, if not, I can put them on the other thread.

stuffit

Deceased

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
Steps along the way
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
When they arrived, the blanks looked like  this"

After a few coats of Tung Oil Finish had been applied and sanded off, another coat would look like this.  The tung oil finish does seem to accentuate the "red" from the blanks:

This was the appearance after steel wooling off a shiney tung oil finisher finish:

It began to get darker (though the scans will fool you because they come out darker than they should):

So here I'd switched to Lin Speed Oil and after each drying session, I'd take a fine steel wool and rub it down to a smooth non reflective appearance.

And you've already seen how the finish ended up (so far).  After looking at these, I can see why a viewer would notice the red seems to be more prevalent than you'd expect from just a walnut blank, but there is no explanation other than that the  Tung Oil Finish accentuated that little bit or red in the unfinished blanks
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline dave hall

• Contributor
  • The Great .458
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »
I looked on the gun stocks inc..I think I'm going to get the brown/brown in the straight Buffalo classic looking stock for my .500.I wanted the Tigerwood,but he doesn't have it listed with this stock.I have to call an see if I can get it.If not I'll get the brown/brown it's close to it,Dave.
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC