Author Topic: Ok I know I messed it up  (Read 594 times)

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
Ok I know I messed it up
« on: October 16, 2006, 04:48:30 AM »
I have a 20 guage that I purchased for a throw in the truck gun and go any place. The barrel looked like poop so I painted it with a suggestion someone else gave. I used the krylon bbq grill paint it looks good. Several coats and it dries real quick. Go to put it back on the original frame and it will not stay closed.

Any suggestions?
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ok I know I messed it up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:57:12 AM »
Remove the paint from the area that fits in the frame and any you may have got on the latch shelf.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:59:11 AM »
Will do and post results.

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:34:48 AM »
All paint is gone. Down to bare metal. Any other ideas? I should add that one time when my wife shot, it opened up but never did that on me.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »
Ok first does it lock up cleanly(once its closed you do not have any play in the release button)  If it doesn't was it there before you appied the paint? I take it this gun was used when you brought it?  First and foremost clean the locking lug on the reciever reaaly good if that doesn't cure your ills. Check that the Forearm does not fit too tight to the reciever if so take the plastic part off the forearm and sand the wood down a little at a time untill it mates cleanly with the reciever.  If none of the above work to fix the problem take your gun to a GOOD smith to be repaired.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »
Remove the barrel and work the barrel release, make sure the latch(barrel catch) is moving its full range, it may just need a good cleaning internally. See the Trigger work links in the Centerfire FAQ and Help sticky to learn how to R&R the trigger and latch. The barrel fitting links may also help in determining what's wrong. When it's locked up properly, the barrel release should be loose, if it's not, there's a problem.

Tim

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 05:53:46 AM »
I am 95% certain its the barrel. I put it on my huntsman/rifle slug reciever and it does the exact same thing. I can take my huntsman barrel and put on the 20 guage reciever and it locks up fine.

I just cant figure this one out. Thanx guys for all the suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 06:00:33 AM »
Press the ejector in and make sure it's flush with the chamber, if it hangs up, it could prevent the barrel from closing all the way, there may be something between the ejector claw and the cutout below the chamber or something in the housing. Ejector R&R is covered in the FAQ under conversion to extractor.

Tim

Offline pills

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:22:32 AM »
Will do and post results. May be tomorrow before I can try though. Thanks again.

Matt