Author Topic: Need some Handi help...  (Read 546 times)

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
Need some Handi help...
« on: October 17, 2006, 03:49:13 AM »
A local shop is having a sale ending friday.  There is a handi youth combo for sale at $191 minus 10%.  It is a stainless .243 / 20ga with the blue and red laminated youth size stocks.  I was looking for something for cheap centerfire plinking (.223) and wanted to add a .357 barrel at some point to pair up with my revolver.  Since I moved, I dont have a place to deer hunt anymore and all my small game hunting or turkey hunting is done with my pardner 12ga or an old marlin bolt action.  I had planned on adding a 22" 20ga barrel to my pardner from all the rave reviews on GBO.

My question is would this be a good deal for me?  I really have no use for a .243 or the youth sized stocks and would probably end up selling or trading them.  I have an extra set of pallet wood stocks from and old pardner that I could put on it for the time being.  They dont have a monte carlo stock so they would be fine for the shotgun barrel, but might be a bit low for the scoped barrel.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline huntnut

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Need some Handi help...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:54:11 AM »
That sounds like a great deal for a combo. You can  always use it for trading. If you got it I would be interested in the stock for my son.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:31:13 AM »
Sounds like a great deal to me. Is it new or used? You could sell or trade the 243 barrel and stock then get what ever you want. I would go for it. ;D 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 04:56:11 AM »
If you like the combo...go and get it...The low fitting stocks aren't really a problem when using a scope...Stop by Walmart...and pick up a elastic Bob Allen shell holder for $3.95...cut a piece of foam rubber to fit under it..and roll the shell holder back and fit the foam on the stock...and roll the shell holder back over it..It works great..it looks good..and it stays put...The elastic fits very snug..and when you put the foam under it it fits even tighter..3/8" to 1/2" foam works good and will raise your head up enough for any scope work...not to mention soften any recoil you will get from any additional barrels you will wind up getting in the future..I would hold onto the 243 barrel...you never know ..you may find another place to deer hunt with it..or get to find a place to varmint hunt with it..but you can sell those stocks and recoup the cost of the new 20ga. barrel since they are new...

Here's what the Allen shell holder looks like on mine...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. 

My name is dale, and I think I might be developing a Handi problem...

I stopped on my way home from work, picked it up and could only think about buying more barrels for it.

Mac, thanks for the pics.  Looks like a perfect use for some of those mouse pads I have laying around at work.

The stock is beautiful, but too short.  I will have to figure out what to do about them. Huntnut after I figure it out, Ill send you a pm about the stocks.

I'll post some pices of it tomorrow.