Author Topic: .243 ULTRA boresighting issue  (Read 416 times)

Offline boo rad

• Trade Count: (0)
.243 ULTRA boresighting issue
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first handy, an ulta in .243 and it is a great looking rifle. I would like to add that it was all of you who sold me on this rifle. All of the knowledge floating around on this site is wonderfull. Anyway, the reason I am posting this is for a little of your advice. There is a problem with my setup. The rifle may not be the problem, after I made the purchase I could not wait so I did all of the modifications that Fred M had recomended to another rookie handi-holic even before the scope that I had purchased arrived. Once the glass came I took it to the Gander Mtn. gunsmith. The scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X44 and the rings are burris. The gunsmith told me that he got it as close as he could but wasn't sure that it would be able to zero. The windage turret was maxed out and the elevation had only about 1.5" of adjustment thanks to shimstock. At the range it shot well, but I was not able to pull the p.o.i. to the p.o.a. So the next step i took was to go to another smith and I brought another scope that was collecting dust, a Mueller 4-16x50. The old timer tried to work his magic and the outcome was the same with both scopes. So, could it be the rings or is it possible that the factory machine work is off?

Sorry for being so long winded, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You All,
Trav

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .243 ULTRA boresighting issue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:51:06 AM »
Welcome aboard! It's always possible that there's a problem with the base to bore alignment, but I'd do some checking before I shimmed. If you have the Burris Sig Zee rings, you can also get their offset insert kit that will allow for alignment issues. I would check the scope base first by removing the screws and making sure it bedded to the barrel, how to do that is in the FAQ and Help. If the scope rail fits the contour of top of the barrel and the hole alignment is correct for the mounting screws, I don't see how that could be a problem unless the bore is not centered in the barrel or the barrel is bent, which would be pretty obvious if you check. Did either smith try to reverse one ring? Sometimes that fixes the problem. If you do have the sig zee rings, make sure the inserts are all marked 0.

That's a start, let us know some more when ya get a chance. FWIW, I have 28 scoped barrels, only one needed the offset inserts and that was just to center the reticle without making big turret adjustments on the scope.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline boo rad

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:43:02 AM »
Thank you for the prompt response. The smith did not turn either ring but I noticed that he stripped the allens attempting to remove the base. Looks like I've got a little work to do, but if i find anything you did'nt mention I will let you know.

Thank you again for the info,
Trav

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »
Heat the base screws with the tip of a soldering iron or mini torch to help break the thread sealant on them, or the hex socket will strip too when you try to remove them!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain