Author Topic: accurizing USH with rubber o-ring  (Read 629 times)

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
accurizing USH with rubber o-ring
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:22:09 PM »
I read somewhere that you can put a rubber o-ring between the forearm and barrel around the connecting screw to somewhat float the barrel and possibly gain a little more accuracy in the USH.  Question - if you do this does the point of impact change any at all?

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Re: accurizing USH with rubber o-ring
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:26:10 AM »
Only your gun and load is going to be able to tell you that.  Every gun is different and what goes for mine may not be the same for yours.  I would take a day and go to the range, try it both ways and see what happens

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:34:19 AM »
i think how you hold the gun will have greater effect than an o ring... the slug takes a long time to exit the barrel compaired to rifles. so what happens after the shot has a big impact on where the bullet will hit. In the picture the bullet to the far right was off the bench the group of 4 is when i held the gun as I would in my stand. When I fired from a bench my shoulder was in such a position that prevented the gun from moving straight back under recoil, the barrel actually moves up and to the right...in the group of 4 i'm sitting more upright so the recoil of the gun actually pushes me back allowing the gun to follow ..allowing the bullet time to get out of the barrel while it's still on target.. - hope this helps..btw i have the O-Ring in all of my H&R guns...I don't think they hurt preformance..also I shot 300gr sst's in this pic- Kevin

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 08:39:34 AM »
   4 Shots into an 1"1/4 group .. The first shot was off the bench  and went high right @ 100 yds

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »
The rubber o-ring did change the point of impact.  It shot a little higher.  DANG GOOD GROUP THERE @ 100 YARDS.  My 20 gauge USH will only shoot down to 2" - 2.5" groups.  I've tried basically EVERY slug available.  The Winchester Platinum Tip and Hornady SST perform the best of all I've tried.