Author Topic: Nipple & Cap recommendation for 1858 Remington  (Read 762 times)

Offline Chappy

• Trade Count: (0)
Nipple & Cap recommendation for 1858 Remington
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:35:20 AM »
I recently purchased a Pietta made steel 1858 Remington C & B revolver.  It came with #10 size nipples so I bought some CCI #10 size caps.  I have shot it 200 times and had many misfires and hangfires and often had to shoot the same cap twice to get it to fire.  These caps seems a bit small, especially after the nipple was dirty.  I tried some #11 caps but they were too big.  I notice now that the nipples themselves are beat down and mis-shaped - they must be soft.
I think it's time to buy some new high quality nipples - I would like size #11 since I have quite a few of those caps on hand already.
Can anyone give me a recommendation on what nipples to buy (and where) and what #11 cap works best with those nipples?
Thanks for your help!
Chappy

Offline Full House

Re: Nipple & Cap recommendation for 1858 Remington
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »

CCI #10 caps are indeed too small for stated Pietta nipple.  Try #10 Remington or RWS 1075, if

available in your area.  If not available, try #11 CCI.  I shoot Pietta Remingtons with stock nipples and

have for years.  Never have misfires and have never understood buying after market nipples.

One more thing, if the #11 CCIs do not go own snug, give them a slight pinch before placing on

nipple

Good luck, and good shooting.

Full House

Offline timothy

• Contributor
Re: Nipple & Cap recommendation for 1858 Remington
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:21:39 AM »
+1 pich the 11's they should work fine. Also check the screw on the front strap to make sure it hasnt backed out a little. That screw detemines you mainspring tension and can cause misfires if not tight. Good luck