Author Topic: Rimmed 7mm or 30caliber  (Read 999 times)

Offline Medicine Hat

• Trade Count: (0)
Rimmed 7mm or 30caliber
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »
What is a rimmed  7mm or 30 caliber that will be close to the 7mm magnum or 30-06  for mule deer

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rimmed 7mm or 30caliber
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »
In 30 cal, a 7.62X54R is about the same thing as a 30-06. Or a 30-40 Krag loaded to the same pressure as a 30-06 in a strong rifle. As for 7mm, hmmm...There's a .275 H&H Flanged Magnum made from 375 H&H flanged brass, or a .280 Rimmed (Normal or improved version) made from .400-.350 Nitro Express brass.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
Why??? What for?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:42:24 AM »
.307 and .56 WCF jump to mind...

Where would you like to start? .30/40 Krag has been necked up and down --regular shoulder and improved-- and is remarkably like the .303 British. Krag is not strong enough for much, but single shots and P14's "Katie bar the door..."  Cases are awful close. In USA, Krag has been used in single shot rifles for about everything, and the .405 Winchester (there was a .35 Winchester that died aborning, same case in .358)... .405 WCF is a .30/40 case a trifle longer and necked to .40. It worked at the "new" circa WW I era, pressure of 45K CUP like the also new .30/'06. Chambered, for one, in the new model 95 Winchester lever action. (Pres. Roosevelt, Teddy liked it in Africa, or so he said many times. 03 Springfield too.)  In Canada Mr. Epps, gunsmith, (Elwood Epps, gunshop still running, don't recall the exact e address) worked with the .303 British case, necked up and down. I think his biggest was .338. Regular shoulder and Improved. Little lame in SMLE and hot, hot, hot in P14's. [ AND he had a .303 Canadian Magnum which was the P14 enfield (made in USA by Remington, Eddystone Remington, and Winchester--.303 bolt face and belted mag is same, eg. .300 H&H)... p14 re chambered to the .300 H&H case and necked for use of .303 caliber bullets... not exactly rimmed, but there is a rimmed H&H case they used in double rifles.]

I assume you have studied the Improved .30/30 which reportedly equals the .300 Savage, another .45K CUP cartridge. It, the .30/30 case, has been necked up and down. .38/55 is the same case and a little strengthened and higher pressure re introduced as the .375 WCF. Newest to family, 7 Waters, I think. Getting old.

The Triad series is available,( web search), .444 Marlin case necked down to use .308 dies (or 7/08 or .358WCF) to reload the rimmed case for single shots. TC's common. Little bigger and came out before the .307 and .356 Wcf rounds.

Mr. Ackley put out a two volume set of books many years ago, available from eabco.com, sinclair, ebay sometimes, and others... surveying couple thousand cartridges: -- factory, IMproved, and wildcat. I recall someone took the .348 WCF rimmed case and used it for various things. .30 was popular. Even turned the rimm off to make it rimless.  In the Win lever 71, it got taken up to .458 and .500 for Alaskan bears at close range. THUMP!.

If I knew what you planned to shoot at, I could be a bit more specific. De Hasse on single shots mentions many of these mods to Win single shots back when they were not worth much. Everyone wanted a repeater...!! luck

Offline Medicine Hat

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:41:29 AM »
Looking for a 400 yard mule deer whitetail and coyote gun using a singleshot that I would like to keep 45,000 or under. Where could I find out about the wildcated 348's

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
tall order...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:11:03 AM »
Two thoughts...

#1). Mr. Ackley said that the Improved .30/40 Krag in strong single shots "EQUALLED" the factory .300 H&H Mag loads.  Of course, the .300 H&H was not loaded hot against use in warm places like Africa and India. Mr. Brown of eabco.com is chambering it in a very small single shot... or the TC products...

There is a rimmed version of the .300 case for use in double rifles. (NOT CHEAP...) I guess Starline has some of the buffalo calibers available again. .50/110. Necking down would be work...

Mr. Brown has a .30 (or 7mm) house cartridge on the "don wasp" design of accuracy fame, using the full length .219 Zipper IMPROVED case and fast twist for heavy bullets at moderate velocity. Makes the shooter work a bit harderplanning shot, but bullets seldom blow up, rather penetrate and if the shooter has aimed well, do the job... No doubt he could open the chamber to .30/40 IMP for you...

#2). The .348 Case was not a product of the high pressure era, cartridges or guns. Meant to work in the .30/30 range, circa 40K CUP in the old system...  It does not have the amount of brass of the belted magnum head. (Mine is a .35/.348 rebore on a Siam mauser, done by Mr. A, hisself, just before he sold out and retired... I have loaded, IN MY GUN, to .358 Norma Magnum STARTING LOADS as listed in commercial manuals without pressure unacceptable to me-- YOU test YOUR OWN gun at YOUR RISK!!! thank you).

I wanted to be able to use pistol bullets for plinking loads. AWW Youth... For 400 yds, you might think of necking to .338 and using some of those long boat tails... Regular or IMP...

Wanting a 400 yard gun with pressures held to the 45K CUP standard... --???-- [I would not attempt such a shot without the best of conditions, but I don't have the best of eyes... ]

In his books, Mr. Ackley spoke of a Mr. Howell, gunsmith, who did the remodelling of the .348 case. The large caliber conversions were common in Alaska to give the model 71 Winchester "more authority."  I have no idea of his current state--Mr. Howell, although Mr. A retired in the mid '80's, so his departure of this life would not surprise me... You will need to search the custom smiths, I would begin in the Alaska, west coast area. Mr. Epps offspring are still running his gun shop and have .303 Improved case cartidges available (including 7mm). Like I said, web search. I do recall the 303British.com web site of Mr. Redgewell with .303 IMP data...

And, there are some very long rimmed cartridges from Europe, 73mm, 77mm long, that were used in drillings--3 barrels, 2 shotgun, one rifle... Not loaded very warm. Web search for single shot gunsmiths and TC gunsmiths might find you something... Lots of powder and velocity w/o high pressure... Not sure, at this time, who is working with .348 or such... I think if you hit the single shot boards, especially the old Winchester single shots now that Browning has them back in "re production"... luck.

Offline PaulS

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »
What is a rimmed  7mm or 30 caliber that will be close to the 7mm magnum or 30-06  for mule deer

You could try necking down the 9.3x74R. At 2.9+ inches long you could easily meat or exceed 3006 ballistics and if you need a bit more you can blow it out almost straight put a .40" long neck on it.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.