Author Topic: stock alterations  (Read 447 times)

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
stock alterations
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:43:21 AM »
I'd like to experiment with altering a second-hand factory pistol-grip stock to a straight grip. Does anyone have any advice? Is there any chance it might crack? I use 1-ounce 12 gauge loads mostly -- don't have the courage to touch off a 3" magnum in a gun that light!

Also, what about trimming down the proud fit to the frame? I've done some reshaping on cheap stocks using a rasp, Dremel sander and sanding block, with pretty good results. Those were all cheap .22s with one-piece stocks, though. I wonder if a narrowed-down fit on an NEF might get wobbly. Thanks!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: stock alterations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »
Hello db22, I have converted several pistol grip stocks to straight english style with no problems. They are strong enough to withstand anything you can shoot in a Handi or Pardner/Topper. Others here have slimmed down the "proud" fit of the stock to reciever with similar good results. Go for it...<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »
I have some experience with stocks that MSP Ret (thanks again Andy) made into straight  grip stocks. I have no complaints, and they worked just fine on a 357 Max, and a 30/30. Didn't shoot either a whole lot, but I wouldn't think there'd be much of a problem on a shotgun either.

I am guessing if you do it carefully and patiently they'll turn out great.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:32:42 PM »
MSP & tallyho: many thanks for the encouraging words. It's a real pleasure to hang around here! It seems like the local gun shops are getting "grumpy" -- if you're not there to drop at least $500, they're pretty stingy with gun talk.

Another question: my only NEF so far is kinda "rattly" -- the latch and transfer bar are sorta loose on their pins. Is that normal? I bought it used. So far no complaints about functioning. Thanks!!
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams