Author Topic: A trip without unexplained misses  (Read 581 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
A trip without unexplained misses
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:53:15 AM »
Due to other hunting committments my son and I haven't been out after squirrels in a few years. We went out this past weekend and did just fine. In preparation I made a point of spending a couple of hours at the range with him getting his .22 sighted in. The exercise was to ensure that the first shot on a cold barrel was hitting exactly where it was expected, so we had to wait between shots. This was a laborious process that included making minor tweaks to the scope adjustment. Finally we were confident that both our .22s are sighted in properly and we understand their cold and warm barrel characteristics.

This paid off in the field because the squirrels were 50+ yards away and we needed all the precision we could get. Bottom line is that there were no unexplained misses during the trip. We were hitting just where we needed to hit. Mmmm. Oven barbecued squirrel.

I bagged a nice trophy too. 60 yard shot at a big fox squirrel.
Safety first

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A trip without unexplained misses
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:17:22 AM »
Sounded like a great time to try the One Shot sight in procedure (I have never done this)
With the rifle firmly set on the bags, the shooter fires his shot. Hopefully, the shot hit the paper and his scope and the range of the target allow for the hole to be viewed through the scope.
The shooter then instructs his  buddy to make adjustments to the scope while he is still viewing, Ideally he will see the crosshairs march across the target and stop exactly on the bullet hole. Some elevation will have to be thrown in at the end of course depending on what the shooter wants on the trajectories.
The shooter has to remember that his view through the scope is opposite to the turrent adj on the scope say…hence, Up requires a down adj & so forth.

Now please pass that oven barbecue recipe ;D