Author Topic: When is it time to put a good old gun down?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
When is it time to put a good old gun down?
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:08:36 AM »
She's been good over the years, but now needs plenty of repairs that nearly match the value of the gun. Is it time to put Old Betsy to rest and send her to the Great Shooting Range In The Sky? Sniff! Sniff!
Safety first

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: When is it time to put a good old gun down?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 08:11:13 AM »
That all depends on you bud, if she will never be the same with new parts, she needs the action locked up and cased on the wall.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:36:51 PM »
If it's truly a good old friend who's never let you down cost doesn't matter. Especially if the other choice is a new model. A few years ago I put $3000 and every Saturday all day into helping an old yellow lab gently reach old age, something I would never have done if I'd thought about it rationally. If the new parts make it continue to do it's job, get the new parts. The new model will be nice, but it won't be the same. You won't be sorry.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 05:11:45 AM »
I agree with Mykeal.  When you look at these things rationally, rarely are you able to justify such an expenditure.  However, a good number of decisions are emotional.  For example, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry I bought used.  It was my first 1911 and has served me very well.  Sure there are newer versions out there, but this one is mine and I'll spend the $ to keep her running at optimum levels.  I also think if said pistol has been discontinued; then I would also go through the same trouble.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 07:18:43 AM »
Congratulations!  You are in an elite group.  I have known people who have abused a gun so it needed major repairs (such as fanning a single action).  But I don't know of many people who have shot enough to actually wear out a gun!  You can always make a wall hanger out of it, but I tend to agree with the others.  If it has sentimental value to you and it has always done what you have asked of it, then you should repair and use it.  An old friend deserves to be honored.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline PaulS

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »
Maybe your kids would want to make a gun out of it. Maybe they could take the old girl and spend some money to make it their gun that they will wear out and give to their kids. I have one that I may get to do that with. Trouble is, both my kids want my guns.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 02:46:45 AM »
I don't know what make/model of handgun you have but, I have a Ruger Single Six that was my first handgun and has probably literally shot a small pickup truck load of ammo.  Well a few years ago parts finally wore out.  Since it was my first handgun I was not going to get rid of it, I sent it back to Ruger, asked them to figure out what it would cost to fix it, and let me know.  Well in about two weeks my local gun dealer called and told me my gun was back.  I went down and picked it up and much to my surprise Ruger had repaired the revolver, and refinished it at no charge.  They put a note in the box that said since the wear was from use and not abuse they did not charge for the repair.  I was one happy camper and needless to say, it has gotten them a lot of business since.  Might be worth a try.

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:04 AM »
What is a gun? Metal. Sure, we can be attracted to what we can do with these items and also what they can do for us...but are they a "friend?" No. They have no spirit. You can romance it if you like, but like our Father above states..."Have no other Gods before me."

My point is this. The gun is a tool. Nothing more. If you get more from working with the old tool, then fix it. If you would like to remember not the tool, but what you have done with it and still develop more memories with the same tool...then fix it. If you want one made to better tolerances and capabilities, then make a wall hanger out of it and get a new one. We really need to keep perspectives here. As much as I enjoy and appreciate a fine tool, respecting "the spirit" of a tool makes no sense...as it has none and knows nothing of the such. My point is the relationship between you and this tool is one sided...you feeling about it. It returns no feeling. It only returns performance. If your feelings towards the RELIABILITY of this tool helps your confidence...then it may be worth fixing. If that isn't an issue, realize you might be more confident with a new one with better tollerances.
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 05:33:22 PM »
like all tools that ware out or become unsafe, fix it or get a new one!!!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »
Yes, a gun is a tool and a 'tool' has no spirt.  But what we are dealing with here is not just a tool.  We are dealing with memories.  Memories of happy times and places.  Memories of things done together.  Memories of fall leaves, warm sun, and quiet walks in the woods.  Memories of a younger body, more stamina, and better eyesight.  Of times long past when you could shoot cans and rats at the dump.  Or dirt clods as you walked in the field and no one would get offended.  Or possibly that one exceptional shot in front of your friends that got you their admiration for years.  This gun is a reminder and a symbol of those times.  Like a picture of your someone you have loved.  It is just a picture, but it envokes strong memories of times long past.  A gun that is an old friend, is like that.  No, you don't worship it or fantisize over it.  But it does bring a warm smile and a bright heart when you look at it or pick it up.  That kind of friendship should be honored with a little tender care, so when the opportunity comes to share those things again, it will be up to the task.  Life is short, the good times go by much too soon.  Maybe I can find some time on the next sunny day..........

44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 12:00:44 PM »
I am not about to put my '73 Winchester down even though it is 115 years old!
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 07:47:40 PM »
My 6" 1855 Henry Derringer has seen its last lead ball. Looks too good to risk.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."